Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 03:37 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,079,217 times

Advertisements

Is City-Data a secret chapter of the KKK electronic division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 05:33 AM

14,488 posts, read 11,310,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
seriously?
My wife loves that she knows passable Spanish, she gets to talk to one of the office cleaning crew at her work.

Seriously.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:37 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,523,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
My wife loves that she knows passable Spanish, she gets to talk to one of the office cleaning crew at her work.

Seriously.
Proud of her. Seriously.

But you do realize there are Spanish speakers that don't clean toilets in the US right?

Old 07-08-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Is City-Data a secret chapter of the KKK electronic division.
We have some regulars here from Stormfront. if you go to that site they actually target threads here to troll the liberals.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
This one learned Spanish in High School. It was easier to learn than German or French, and served me well all over the world later on.
I took Italian in high school, beyond being able to get the gist of a conversation that I have heard while watching the occasional movie where Italian was spoken, it has been completely useless.

English is the international language at this time in history, learning another language should be left to retirees looking for something to do

Old 07-08-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Proud of her. Seriously.

But you do realize there are Spanish speakers that don't clean toilets in the US right?
Sure, a bunch of them roofed my house a couple of years back.

My point was that learning Spanish has not remotely benefitted my wife in any meaningful way beyond having a little fun bantering with the menial labor who are apparently not willing to learn the language of their adopted nation.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:14 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,350,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
We are now the second-largest Spanish speaking country in the world, second only to Mexico.

More Spanish speakers in U.S. than Spain, report finds - CNN.com

Note that this study includes those have varying degrees of competency per the report (which is in Spanish, FYI). They didn't really specify what level non-native speakers needed to have.

http://eldiae.es/wp-content/uploads/...viva_20151.pdf
I'm always annoyed by having to wait to listen to a menu directing me to choose between English or Spanish. If these people aren't learning English, they are not assimilating, and they aren't becoming Americans. They should go back where they came from.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,251,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I'm always annoyed by having to wait to listen to a menu directing me to choose between English or Spanish. If these people aren't learning English, they are not assimilating, and they aren't becoming Americans. They should go back where they came from.
You assume someone speaking a different language came from somewhere else, that is not always the case. Also, I highly doubt you wait at all for an automated voice to tell you to pick a language.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:54 AM

63,067 posts, read 29,269,982 times
Quote:
We have some regulars here from Stormfront. if you go to that site they actually target threads here to troll the liberals.
I think there are some regulars also here that are from "La Raza" that target threads here to troll conservatives and other law abiding Americans.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Sure, a bunch of them roofed my house a couple of years back.

My point was that learning Spanish has not remotely benefitted my wife in any meaningful way beyond having a little fun bantering with the menial labor who are apparently not willing to learn the language of their adopted nation.

Yeah so you think, she is probably chatting with some Latin men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies