Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 01:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
IMO, users need to be treated as a medical issue, not a criminal one.
I agree, but only if the addict hasn't committed a crime. It's very rare for a drug user to end up in Federal prison. I think he'd have to be shooting up in a Federal Building or National Park. Otherwise they are state offenses.

I need to read more about what is considered to be a violent crime. Many users will beg, borrow and steal to feed a habit. I mean, if I'm walking down the street and a man grabs my purse, I'd be devastated and probably injured. I witnessed a man yanking a shoulder bag off of a woman and knocking her to the ground. I have no idea if he was a drug addict, but is that considered to be a "violent" crime? Probably not.

One big problem we have in our country is prescription drug use. I've known many people who take numerous medications, all legal. I know I'll probably get yelled at for mentioning this on a thread about drug abusers, but many doped up people are driving 4,000 pounds of metal down the road.

Our society has its own rules about what is acceptable and what isn't. Usually the poor are the ones who get the harsher sentences, although in most cases (not just drug crimes) the defendants plead out and never face a jury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 01:29 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
Buying, selling, and consuming drugs = victimless crime. Should be completely decriminalized.

And this coming from someone whose only drug of choice is a nice imperial stout (or several) on a Friday night.

I prefer the death penalty for drug dealers. It is NOT a victimless crime when the user robs and steals to feed their habit. They sure don't have jobs to pay for their drugs.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:33 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I prefer the death penalty for drug dealers. It is NOT a victimless crime when the user robs and steals to feed their habit. They sure don't have jobs to pay for their drugs.
That's mostly true for hard drugs, not marijuana.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:38 PM

1,136 posts, read 924,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think that juries and judges best at doing what criminal justice systems calls is intend for and not turning justice system into just another political issue.
That made no sense. Who do you think passes the laws judges and juries interpret. If you ant to remove the power of the pardon from Governors and presidents just say so

Old 07-13-2015, 01:47 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
That's mostly true for hard drugs, not marijuana.
Pretty much everyone he is letting go free was convicted of selling crack. And some were also caught with illegal guns.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:08 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Pretty much everyone he is letting go free was convicted of selling crack. And some were also caught with illegal guns.
In that case, I oppose the release of these particular persons, but not the larger principle of releasing nonviolent drug offenders.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
In that case, I oppose the release of these particular persons, but not the larger principle of releasing nonviolent drug offenders.
Although I agree that drug dealers should be punished, many of the people who were granted clemency by Obama would have already served their time in prison using current sentencing guidelines. I think much of this is related to the 2010 law that addressed crack vs powder cocaine. Apparently crack is the poor man's cocaine, and someone convicted of possessing and/or selling it usually got a harsher sentence, even a life sentence. One of the men whose sentence is being commuted by Obama received a life sentence.

Unfortunately, the prisons are already too crowded. Too many people get reduced sentences because of this problem.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:48 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
My bet is that 25 of them will be back behind bars within 6 months.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
My bet is that 25 of them will be back behind bars within 6 months.
Maybe. Maybe not.

I need to correct my last post. 13 (not just 1) of the prisoners given clemency by Obama got life sentences.

The problem, as I've written many times, is that the system favors the wealthy. Look at all the celebrities who have drug problems. They go to rehab and everyone thinks they're cool or they overdose and are memorialized like saints. One of the prisoners being released served over 10 years for cocaine possession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies