Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:51 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
AR 15 I can to along with.
That is what is usually carried by patrol or a mini14.

Anything full auto is reserved for swat and other specialized teams with advanced training.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:53 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
That is what is usually carried by patrol or a mini14.

Anything full auto is reserved for swat and other specialized teams with advanced training.
Until such time as you can go into your local sporting goods store and purchase a full auto off the shelf, I will not support any full auto use in this country.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:00 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Believe it or not it is actually legal for a U.S. citizen to purchase a fully automatic weapon. But it requires some special permits and involves a toothcomb background check plus some fees. So not easy. I have a cousin who is with the FBI and she used to keep an MP5 in her home. I wanted to check it out but she took it back before I had the chance.

Last edited by r small; 07-18-2015 at 09:25 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 09:03 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Believe it or not it is actually legal for a U.S. citizen to purchase a fully automatic weapon. But it requires some special permits and involves a toothcomb background plus some fees. So not easy. I have a cousin who is with the FBI and she used to keep an MP5 in her home. I wanted to check it out but she took it back before I had the chance.
I can live with the additional background check for full auto weapons if the Hughes amendment was repealed to normalize prices on full auto's.

The problem is what would be an $1000 m16 plus $200 background check costs $20,000 plus $200 background check.

The democrats have placed the ultimate regressive tax on firearms keep them out of the hands of the majority of Americans.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:07 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Believe it or not it is actually legal for a U.S. citizen to purchase a fully automatic weapon. But it requires some special permits and involves a toothcomb background plus some fees. So not easy. I have a cousin who is with the FBI and she used to keep an MP5 in her home. I wanted to check it out but she took it back before I had the chance.
Yes it is legal but it is expensive, to purchase a fully auto, The reason? There is no demand due to the issues and hoops you have to go through to obtain one legally. The restrictions are ridiculous and I personally wouldn't own one of you could buy one at Walmart.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:07 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
It is not legal in most states, and even in the few you can own them you can't own one newer than 1986.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:16 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
What is the definition of an 'assault weapon'?

One of my favorite show-and-tell tricks is to hold up the forward receiver (functional part) of a cowboy's range rifle and the forward receiver group of a M-15 style rifle. Ask the crowd which one is an assault weapon. (They are indistinguishable.)

Then attach the rear receiver group and forward stocks. Now one looks like the military gun and the other looks like the cowboy's ranch rifle that it is. The crowd instantly identifies the M-15 as the 'assault rifle.'

Then switch them. The ranch rifle becomes the M-15 and the M-15 becomes a ranch rifle. (The forward receivers of many are also interchangeable.)

That's where we teach the audience that the definition of assault weapon involves nothing more than the handles you attach to the actual functioning part of the rifle.

That's right - an assault rifle is nothing more than a ranch rifle with fancy handles.

The auto vs. semi-auto conversation above is also accurate. LE does not need fully automatic rifles for patrol use for the reasons cited above. LE patrols should have access to a good quality ranch rifle, though.
Good post , unfortunately the majority of the sheeple in this country don't care to be really informed. They only listen to what the media tells them.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:30 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
The primary use of full auto is suppressive fire...police need to be cognizant of their background...suppressive fire is is totally inappropriate when background safety is concerned.

The military uses full auto because theoretically everything downrange is "enemy".

Old 07-22-2015, 07:43 PM

943 posts, read 782,737 times
Routine police should not be armed with any firearms.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:45 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
The primary use of full auto is suppressive fire...police need to be cognizant of their background...suppressive fire is is totally inappropriate when background safety is concerned.

The military uses full auto because theoretically everything downrange is "enemy".
A simple concept. Even for SWAT, full auto is impractical, most times. Since much of what they do is entry work, things are a bit tight to just cut loose with high velocity stuff like 5.56. Burst fire, with frangjble ammo, that doesn't over penetrate, makes sense. Like TAP. But full bore auto, its a bit much. Especially if hostages are involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies