Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 01:20 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times

Advertisements

well, it seems like the answer...especially if you listen to the NRA....is that wee need more guns on the streets. Arm the teachers, the priests, and heck, why not, anyone who wears a uniform. That they are a cook or a secretary shouldn't matter, should it?

And for all of you who voted "yes", I want you to go spend a few days in basic training and see what the basic material is that we are working with in our military.

Sure. Give 'em guns to carry around. Today's gun battle--well yesterday's, actually--only popped three or four people in the theatre. If we can get a few million more guns out there on the streets we can easily get that number up to a couple dozen every day. Short of the families of those killed, does anyone (except CNN or Fox) even pay any attention any longer?

It is a way of life here in America. People love guns. Guns cause death. More guns equals more love and more death. It's quite an odd conundrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 02:24 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
well, it seems like the answer...especially if you listen to the NRA....is that wee need more guns on the streets. Arm the teachers, the priests, and heck, why not, anyone who wears a uniform. That they are a cook or a secretary shouldn't matter, should it?

And for all of you who voted "yes", I want you to go spend a few days in basic training and see what the basic material is that we are working with in our military.

Sure. Give 'em guns to carry around. Today's gun battle--well yesterday's, actually--only popped three or four people in the theatre. If we can get a few million more guns out there on the streets we can easily get that number up to a couple dozen every day. Short of the families of those killed, does anyone (except CNN or Fox) even pay any attention any longer?

It is a way of life here in America. People love guns. Guns cause death. More guns equals more love and more death. It's quite an odd conundrum.
Please, enough with the common sense answers. This is the gun forum.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:02 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Those regulations need to be changed as of yesterday. There is no good reason to continue making our service members easy targets wherever they may be.
If you've been reading this thread, you've already read some very good reasons why that doesn't happen.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:04 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
This is one of the many reasons I do not think guns are the answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD9aWdP6YNM

Caution, some language not suitable for work or children or someone with a brain.

Sadly this is what I associate with the pro gun movement in this country now.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:18 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Have you served?
No, but what has that got to do with keeping our service members safe?

Old 07-26-2015, 09:19 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If you've been reading this thread, you've already read some very good reasons why that doesn't happen.
Getting the military to change a regulation is like pulling teeth in a nursing home.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:41 AM

31 posts, read 25,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
This is one of the many reasons I do not think guns are the answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD9aWdP6YNM

Caution, some language not suitable for work or children or someone with a brain.

Sadly this is what I associate with the pro gun movement in this country now.
What they are doing is harassment of a fully legal and qualified CCW holder. He already showed them his carry license or they verified it is valid, yet they continue to harass him. Jesus Christ, how many duds does it take to harass a law abiding citizen anyways? It looks like maybe ten or more to one. The "posturing" with hands on their weapons is also grounds for an official reprimand. Their supposed to a Law Enforcement Agency, not Hitler's Gestapo....Sieg Heil!!

Someone needs to remind them of the Constitution and Bill Of Rights containing the Second Amendment. As soon as the CCW holders credentials are procured and verified valid that is the end of the confrontation.....period!! Cease and desist....step away...off, you aren't going to do anything more. They should be officially reprimanded and suspended for this, not praised or felt sorry for.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:04 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter5 View Post
What they are doing is harassment of a fully legal and qualified CCW holder. He already showed them his carry license or they verified it is valid, yet they continue to harass him. Jesus Christ, how many duds does it take to harass a law abiding citizen anyways? It looks like maybe ten or more to one. The "posturing" with hands on their weapons is also grounds for an official reprimand. Their supposed to a Law Enforcement Agency, not Hitler's Gestapo....Sieg Heil!!

Someone needs to remind them of the Constitution and Bill Of Rights containing the Second Amendment. As soon as the CCW holders credentials are procured and verified valid that is the end of the confrontation.....period!! Cease and desist....step away...off, you aren't going to do anything more. They should be officially reprimanded and suspended for this, not praised or felt sorry for.
Well, I've just been told by a law enforcement officer this morning on another forum that the officer's first intent on any encounter to to gain control and deference from the civilian, and that until he does--by whatever means necessary--he's not going to let that bone go.

So if he tells you, "put out the cigarette" to demonstrate his control of the situation and you signal to him your acknowledgement that he owns the situation by putting out the cigarette, then everything is copasetic. But if you question his control of the situation by telling him you have a right to smoke, then everything goes downhill from there.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:27 PM

31 posts, read 25,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, I've just been told by a law enforcement officer this morning on another forum that the officer's first intent on any encounter to to gain control and deference from the civilian, and that until he does--by whatever means necessary--he's not going to let that bone go.

So if he tells you, "put out the cigarette" to demonstrate his control of the situation and you signal to him your acknowledgement that he owns the situation by putting out the cigarette, then everything is copasetic. But if you question his control of the situation by telling him you have a right to smoke, then everything goes downhill from there.
That's a bad policy to have. So is innocently (no threat intended just stupidity and carelessness) using your rail mounted weapons light on your service pistol to write a traffic ticket at night instead of removing it or using a regular stand alone flashlight. It was reported and the officer was reprimanded and the whole department ended up losing their "tactical light" privileges.

No lethal threat, that hand cannot be on the gun. It's also why back in the day many State Troopers carried S&W J-Frames in pocket holsters. You can't report what you cannot see.... When they approached your vehicle, remember seeing their hand in their front pocket when they were talking to you? Of course no one was the wiser at the time.

It's harassment in the case, plain and simple. True the CCW holder should maybe cooled his pipes a bit as well. It takes two to tango...however the LEOs are clearly out of line.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:06 PM

990 posts, read 2,557,930 times
I really don't know how many people will bother reading this far into any thread.

But, here it goes.

I think the reasons articulated my "Mack knife" were spot on.

While it may be an unpopular position, I am opposed to the arming of military personnel off military bases.

My opposition is not based on any constitutional grounds or the training.

One should understand that there is a fundamental difference in the two jobs.

While we are currently in an age where it is fashionable to denigrate the police, I think many people would be shocked at how people the police do NOT shoot.

Those persons who on their face would provide probable cause, or a "reasonable man" would perceive as a threat.

I wore the "blue suit" for the full 30 years.

I can' begin to tell you how many people run on police approach.

How many people, when cornered jerk their hand into their waist band of their pants, as though it is some form of a "joke".

How about the punk that totes a replica firearm, and many other circumstances.

It is training and experience that keeps the levels of deadly encounters as low as they are.

Now, examine a military mind set.

If one encounters a threat, the general reaction is pour fire onto the target until it is no longer a threat.

The two uses of force can not co-exist in the normal world.

Even if one were to teach the military civilian policing tactics, it would be an extreme dis-service if that soldier is ever called on to again defend the nation on a battlefield.

So, in short, the military should be armed on their reservations, but not the streets of America.

The military serves its tasks with honor.

Allow the police the honor of protecting the population of the United States from criminal behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies