Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 12:28 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no it wont

min wage was never intended to be a living wage

min wage is for UNSKILLED workers

look at the INCOMPETENCE of the current lot of fast food workers, they cant even take and make an order correctly

min wage is for the UNSKILLED, there are plenty of people with REAL SKILLS making less than 20/hr

by raising min wage to 20/hr, you are DEVALUING the dollar (ie another form of inflation)
do you sheeplely follow what the government says of 1-2% per year over the last 6 years???....or do you go to the store and compare prices, and see how much things have gone up???

inflation has been near 10-15% for the last 6years....look at the prices in the stores

prices are going up, and up

coffee is double what it was just 6 years ago in 2008...over 100% in that 6 years....or 20%per year average

coffee up

sugar up

cotton up

corn up

all other vegetables up

all meats up

almost everything us up

REAL INFALTION IS CURRENTLY ABOUT 10-15% or more...unfortunately the government(from either party) doesnt give us the REAL numbers

it certainly is for every working class person or old person

you think that your utility cost being up is not inflation???

you think your medical/pharm costs being up is not inflation???

you think your clothing costs being up is not inflation???

you think your housing (rent and realestate taxes) being up is not inflation???

you think food costs going up is not inflation???

you think building supply costs (ie home depot) being UP is not inflation???

almost EVERYTHING we use has gone up by at least 10% to in some cases 30% in the last 8 years...and you are going to tell me inflation is "only 2% or less"

have you been to the store???...have you SEEN THE PRICES???? ...meats have gone though the roof...in 2004 a 3lb can of coffee was about $3...today its a 2.2lb can of coffee and its $8-10...over a 300% increase in less than 10 years

so are you going to tell me YOU BELIEVE the government TELLING YOU that inflation is at 0-3% when PRICES in nearly everything have risen 10-20% or more????

the 'inflation rate' is not REAL INFLATION (ie COST inflation) that real americans (and seniors) feel with almost everything we buy

raising the min wage that much would cause so many problems
I love reading this. On one hand OMG you can't raise minimum wage!

Followed up by "the REAL inflation is 10%!!!!"

If anything if you believed that it would a even larger argument to raise minimum wage!

BTW food represents a very small % of our purchases. Rent tend to outdo that by a large %, and labor is a small % of total costs for most things.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 12:33 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I love reading this. On one hand OMG you can't raise minimum wage!

Followed up by "the REAL inflation is 10%!!!!"

If anything if you believed that it would a even larger argument to raise minimum wage!

BTW food represents a very small % of our purchases. Rent tend to outdo that by a large %, and labor is a small % of total costs for most things.....
If the economy were truly free markets the wages would follow inflation.
Unfortunately the free markets succombed to corruption, bailouts, excessive lobbying, buying elections, gerrymandering districts etc..

Old 07-27-2015, 12:34 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I wish you would both really consider not using the word "retard" or "retarded."

I'm sure you aren't meaning to insult anyone, but it's hurtful to many families who have a very loved family member with disabilities.

I am sorry, English is not my first language. What word should I use instead ?

Old 07-27-2015, 12:39 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Let's also assume inflation remains tame AND stiff penalties are handed out to employers who hire under the table and below the minimum wage..

How would you see such a society in 10 years if a society operates under "almost" free markets with a single constraint/caveat: minimum wage = $20/hr?
Welfare is typically tied to income, so it would be dramatically reduced automatically.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:47 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
If the economy were truly free markets the wages would follow inflation.
Unfortunately the free markets succombed to corruption, bailouts, excessive lobbying, buying elections, gerrymandering districts etc..
The free market was corrupted by government.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:55 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The free market was corrupted by government.
Yes. I cannot write all that this entails but my viewpoint is government should be there to protect competition not curtail it. Between the Wall st Oligopoly and the 3-5 giant global conglomerates (GE Exxon Monsanto etc..) the free markets have no chance unless Government does what is right not what it is best for the politicians to remain in power.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:35 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Let's also assume inflation remains tame AND stiff penalties are handed out to employers who hire under the table and below the minimum wage..

How would you see such a society in 10 years if a society operates under "almost" free markets with a single constraint/caveat: minimum wage = $20/hr?
How about we increase the minimum wage to $200 per hour and TOTALLY eliminate welfare. Then everyone will be happy.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:30 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
How about we increase the minimum wage to $200 per hour and TOTALLY eliminate welfare. Then everyone will be happy.
I'm not convinced we wouldn't totally eliminate welfare at $20/hr.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:41 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,851 times
If you raise min wage to $15, you are going to loose jobs, because it will be to expensive to produce things locally. This would mean that welfair be paid more often.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:

And all those who previously made more than Minimum Wage would need a huge bump, too. In a blink of an eye $20/ hr would buy what $7.25 used to do. The $20/ hr folk would still be poor and unable to take full financial responsibility for their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies