Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 12:33 PM

188 posts, read 193,192 times

Advertisements

American military is very advanced, and I'm sure they have reasons for the way things run. They're all way smarter at war than I am.

But, what if instead of a college degree being the main requirement to be a military officer, it was some sort of leadership experience? Like four years of leadership experience (maybe in construction or running a business, or coaching a sports team). (Not saying enlisted is bad or anything, just different role. In fact I heard some enlisted can make 100k in civilian world after their enlisted time is up)

A lot of smart people skip college for better opportunities. Makes me chuckle sometimes thinking if Bill Gates got drafted, he would be enlisted instead of an officer. Even though he's led one of the most profitable companies in America (microsoft).

I often read war stories and in it, a common theme is the incompetent officer.

Grinding out GPA is different from leading. Can grind out a good GPA, be a bad leader. Can be a great leader, but not motivated enough (or no need to) to finish college.

I think the military looks for leadership experience and a college degree.

It makes me think, though, that the college degree requirement would leave out a lot of otherwise qualified people, or create errors in the selection process.

Maybe I just hated my time in college too much.

Hopefully I didn't **** off too many people with this post...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 12:39 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,568 times
The requirement for college educated "officers" comes out of the Prussian military caste system. A better criteria for a military leader would be prior military leadership success and experience (lol, at coaching a sports team) you know, using people already in the military.

So instead of more schmo's off the street in leadership positions, you have the cream of the crop NCO's (at about the E5/E6 level) decide if they want to become officer leaders, those that don't can and still will be great enlisted leaders. And the ones that want more can then go to OCS and more follow on training on how to lead from a officer level/perspective.

win-win.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:10 PM

188 posts, read 193,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
The requirement for college educated "officers" comes out of the Prussian military caste system. A better criteria for a military leader would be prior military leadership success and experience (lol, at coaching a sports team) you know, using people already in the military.

So instead of more schmo's off the street in leadership positions, you have the cream of the crop NCO's (at about the E5/E6 level) decide if they want to become officer leaders, those that don't can and still will be great enlisted leaders. And the ones that want more can then go to OCS and more follow on training on how to lead from a officer level/perspective.

win-win.
That sounds like it would work, too.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:30 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
The U.S. military has a three tract process for entering the officers corps. NCO's who are promoted into the officer corps, college graduates who still have to enter officer officer candidate school, and graduates of the military academies. It has worked pretty well for a lot of years.

PS - commissioned officers are "an officer and gentleman by an act of Congress."

Old 07-30-2015, 05:05 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,962 times
My fathers uncle was a grunt in WW1 retired as a Lt.Col. said only reason he never made General was his lack of a proper education or a military school degree...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies