Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 03:09 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times

Advertisements

A convoy of pickups with 'southern heritage' flags drove in from another county, trespassed, and harassed locals at a black child's birthday party.

"Douglasville police are investigating a Saturday afternoon incident that, according to witnesses, involved a convoy of Confederate flag-bearing trucks interrupting a black child’s birthday party with racial epithets and threats of violence."

"A woman who shared the video said the trucks were on her property and their passengers were armed and threatened to “kill y’all [N-words].”

Watch heated confrontation over Confederate flags in Douglasville | www.ajc.com

Old 07-27-2015, 03:17 PM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
The political correctness Nazis have stirred these people up...great going guys.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:23 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The political correctness Nazis have stirred these people up...great going guys.
True. You pi$$ people off once too often and start chipping away at their heritage, you're going to get pushback.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:26 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
And the "Heritage of Hate" lives on. Being black to these guys is like drawing a picture of Mohammed and waving it in front of an Islamic radical. They are the same people.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:27 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
True. You pi$$ people off once too often and start chipping away at their heritage, you're going to get pushback.
So nice to see the real Nazis fighting back against the PC ones by terrorizing children. Where's all the NRA guys saying it'd be justified putting a bullet into these trespassers?

Old 07-27-2015, 04:29 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
"Look at what you made me do!" is the excuse of terrorists and wifebeaters. And now, it appears, confederate flag-wavers.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:53 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,187,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
"Look at what you made me do!" is the excuse of terrorists and wifebeaters. And now, it appears, confederate flag-wavers.
Exactly. This "culture" was a terrorist organization when they were hanging people from trees and had the police on their side. Now they are "just" threatening to kill children with guns and calling them racist names. I think the quote from the host of the child's birthday party summed it up best. She even gives them leeway:

“I don’t have a problem if that’s their culture,” Alford said. “… If they want to make a statement that these flags mean something to them, I’m OK with that. But you’ve got to do it right. You can’t go around just blatantly terrorizing people.” Amen!!!

Old 07-27-2015, 05:01 PM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
I might as well post my thoughts here about Southern Heritage.

It seems that there are some Southerners who look back fondly on the Old South, and wish that the South Would Rise Again.

I don't think many of these people have thought this through. After all, the Southern Heritage prior to the Civil War was one of a clearly set out hierarchy.

Oddly, but true, in the early 1800s many of those men who became rich and powerful in the South were fond of the books of Sir Walter Scott, who wrote (Waverly Novels and such) of the 'old days' in which you had feudal lords and dependents to said lords. These Southern plantation owners fancied themselves as being part of that heritage and so created their own society in the South using those novels as a guide.

During the course of my life I have met with young men who seem to believe that if the South were to 'rise' again, they would take their rightful place in society, always implying that it would be high on the list.

That would be true, if their ancestors were part of the aristocratic class, with names like Calhoun, Butler, Lee, etc. Otherwise, they would be out of luck.

So, you had the aristocratic class, comprising the plantation lords and their family (often extended families). They sat on top of the heap of society.

Next, you had the class that included lawyers and doctors. Well-to-do and respectful towards their superiors, the plantation class. Many of these people could call themselves 'gentlemen' without rebuke from their superiors. I believe that some politicians (if not landed) were part of this class.

Next, the mercantile class, with many members wanting, and often acting, as if they were 'gentlemen', although not recognized as such by the upper classes. They bought and sold goods, which was not something a gentleman would engage in.

Next, the normal, ordinary white men and their women. It was this class that provided most of the fodder for the War Between the States. Good enough to be killed to preserve the Old Ways, but not good enough to sit at the table with their superiors.

Of course, below that, you had the slave class, which were of no count. Even the meanest, poorest white man could lord it over a black man. Perhaps that is the attraction to Southern Heritage for many.

Anyway, that is my story. I see that we have had posters who proclaimed with pride that their ancestors fought for the South. However, chances are, they were of the lowest class (excluding the slave class), and if the South were to Rise Again, their present descendants would be asked to take their God Given place in Polite Society.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Ahh the Great Divider's handy work on full display.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:09 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ahh the Great Divider's handy work on full display.
Nudge my memory - who is it who like to think of themselves as "the Party of Personal Responsibility"?

If y'all are trying to overcome the Southern stereotype as slack-jawed banjo-playing yokels with four-wheel drives and anger issues, you'd do well to distance yourself from such people described in the article. Instead you're making excuses for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies