Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 04:37 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
With the rapid extinction of the Republican Party, do you think that having a one-party state will be better? If the Democratic Party is the only political party, then maybe we can actually get things done in this country instead of having two parties that fight with each other and refuse to work together.
No, it would not be better. I say that even though based on the current make-up of both state and national political positions it looks like it is the Democratic Party that is in trouble with extinction, not the Republicans. Democrats have made the mistake of assuming Hispanics and Muslims would be their new monolithic voters. I was a little surprised that roughly half the Hispanics I know voted Republican, a few told me they think illegal immigrants are doing their communities no favors. However, I was absolutely shocked some of the Muslims I know voted for Trump, turns out they don't like radical Islamic terrorists either.

We are better off with multiple parties, the Democrats need to get their act together. I would love to see the rise of at least one other party.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:22 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
With the rapid extinction of the Republican Party, do you think that having a one-party state will be better? If the Democratic Party is the only political party, then maybe we can actually get things done in this country instead of having two parties that fight with each other and refuse to work together.

GOP: POTUS, Senate, House, 33 governors, and about 3/4th of state legislative chambers.

Getting close to one party rule, OP.

Like you meant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 06:43 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
This thread is funny.

Good thing there are Trump Republicans and Democrat Republicans so we will not find out if America is better with one party.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:02 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Quote:

The Soviets proved the madness of that beyond all doubt.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:26 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, it would not be better. I say that even though based on the current make-up of both state and national political positions it looks like it is the Democratic Party that is in trouble with extinction, not the Republicans. Democrats have made the mistake of assuming Hispanics and Muslims would be their new monolithic voters. I was a little surprised that roughly half the Hispanics I know voted Republican, a few told me they think illegal immigrants are doing their communities no favors. However, I was absolutely shocked some of the Muslims I know voted for Trump, turns out they don't like radical Islamic terrorists either.

We are better off with multiple parties, the Democrats need to get their act together. I would love to see the rise of at least one other party.
I wasn't surprised. I know a lot of Indian immigrants who also liked Trump. He definitely excudes strength, and confidence like that is persuasive. Plus, he is a man, and I think it will take a different woman to win over a lot of men. I know women who could probably inspire confidence, but Hillary is not one of them.

I don't know about adding a third party, but I wouldn't mind if both major parties went back to their centrist roots they used to have. I would love it if politicians could openly express support for whatever they want, whether it agrees with the party platform or not. I'm generally right of center, but I don't want to outlaw abortion or gay marriage. I would be fine if they decriminalized marijuana or made it outright legal. Why can't politicians be like regular people who believe a little bit of every platform? Like they have for local elections. They call them non-partisan elections.

Last edited by katygirl68; 11-19-2016 at 08:40 PM..

Old 11-19-2016, 08:46 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Extinction, liberals really live in their own world, don't they. No America wouldn't be better off as a one party state but it sure as hell isn't trending democrat, not even a little bit. Democrats have been losing America for decades, since the other Clinton was elected president, what a coincidence.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ype=Multimedia

Have Democrats lost 900 seats in state legislatures since Obama has been president? | PunditFact

"Democrats during Obama’s presidency lost 11 governorships, 13 U.S. Senate seats, 69 House seats, and 913 state legislative seats and 30 state legislative chambers."

Looks like it's a rapid extinction of the Democrat party, outside of a few hardcore liberal enclaves the US is turning red, not blue.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:

With the rapid extinction of the Democrat Party, do you think that having a one-party state will be better? If the Republican Party is the only political party, then maybe we can actually get things done in this country instead of having two parties that fight with each other and refuse to work together.

Well, as we see, the divides within the Party, would then be just sub-parties as we have now but a 3 way split in the party.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:55 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
As the GOP dies, another party will arise to take its place. We saw exactly the same thing when the Whig Party slowly died off in the 1800's. The newly minted Republican party replaced them just as quickly as they disintegrated. Grand total of election cycles where there was only one party? There wasn't one.

The same will happen as the Democratic party slowing dies as well. Both parties are hopelessly out of touch and useless. The only question in my mind is what party will take the place of each. The Libertarian Party would seem logical replacement for the GOP, but it's probably too different from both parties. But hey, maybe the new generation of voters will adopt different points of view. The Green Party seems uninspired at this point, but it might be a reasonable candidate for replacing the Democratic Party someday.

I'm hoping we get to a point where we have five or more relatively equal parties. When that happens, it forces the different parties to work together. Since single party every has anything close to a majority, only coalitions of parties can ever actually accomplish anything.

Your suggestion of having only one party is a terrible idea. Doesn't matter if it's Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, Green Party or any other. Having one party call all the shots makes that party hopelessly corrupt -- fast. Look at the Communist Party of any Marxist nation if you doubt me.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:21 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,020 times
we cant have a single party because america is two separate countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies