Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 12:25 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,027,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Never did I say anything about trying to defund Planned Parenthood. I am refuting the argument that if Planned Parenthood went away, the need for abortions would go up because people would not have affordable access to contraception. Clearly that's not true.
are you old enough to remember what it was like before roe v wade? desperate women do desperate things. they dies or were maimed by self inflicted coat hanger and back alley abortions. we need more clinics not less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 12:44 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
are you old enough to remember what it was like before roe v wade? desperate women do desperate things. they dies or were maimed by self inflicted coat hanger and back alley abortions. we need more clinics not less.
I am not ignorant of history. You turned what I said into something else entirely. My only argument was that if the PP clinics went away, people would still be able to get affordable contraception and the rate of abortions would not rise due to that. You seem fond of implying things that aren't there and making assumptions based on limited information. It seems to be a pattern when replying to me at least. I'm pro-choice, by the way.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I am not ignorant of history. You turned what I said into something else entirely. My only argument was that if the PP clinics went away, people would still be able to get affordable contraception and the rate of abortions would not rise due to that. You seem fond of implying things that aren't there and making assumptions based on limited information. It seems to be a pattern when replying to me at least. I'm pro-choice, by the way.
don't be so defensive, I didn't "turn what you said into something else" I merely asked you a question. there is "no pattern" to my posting, just as I suspect there is none to yours other than stating my thoughts and asking other posters questions.

I don't understand the need or the thinking that PP should be shut down, changed or closed because other clinics would take their place. we need more clinics not less. why make it harder for people to get BC and the rest they need by making clinics fewer and farther between?

Old 08-03-2015, 01:37 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
After reading many of these threads and speaking with some of my women friends I agree with hothulamaui. We need far better access to women's health clinics. The government should provide more money for Planned Parenthood not less.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Can't poor people go to the local county health clinic for help with birth control if Planned Parenthood closes? Planned Parenthood isn't in the majority of counties in America. Where are those people who are living there going for birth control?
of course they can and where anyone gets the idea only 5% of the money goes for abortions is just a bit off the number. I have no idea what stats they are referring to or where they came from.

Regardless, if the are selling bady parts for any reason they should be cut off like yesterday!!!

Old 08-03-2015, 01:57 PM

624 posts, read 379,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Wait, let me try to understand this. Women make an appointment and travel to a PP agency asking for an abortion and that makes PP racist organization trying to minimize the black population.

I don't get it.

PP was founded by a racist who believed in trying to control the population of 'undesirables'.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
PP was founded by a racist who believed in trying to control the population of 'undesirables'.
Sanger is dead, has been dead for many, many decades. lots of prominent folks at the time were racist including Alexander G. Bell, Kellogg and Ford.

women, including black women are not stupid. we know what abortion.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:19 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,066,951 times
The fear inducing ploy, made up by SkdKnickerbocker, and mouthed by PP's CEO is an illogical assertion. Especially when there are many more community or public health centers than there are PP facilities. Are you really saying that the sky will fall if there is no federal funding for PP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I'm not sure why folks don't comprehend this. What does planned parenthood do? Well 5% of their funding provides abortions......but a FAR FAR larger amount provides birth control. So what happens if you lose that?

Abortions go up. A LOT.

So I don't get it, these attacks on planned parenthood seem to be a excellent way to cause more abortions to occur. Its not like planned parenthood is the only place to get an abortion. Or don't people think about the unintended consequences at all?

Old 08-03-2015, 02:47 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post

Source?

Old 08-03-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Source?
you can't have your head so far in the sand that you don't think women died from back alley abortion or used coat hangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies