Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 04:56 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times

Advertisements

Maybe people are finally realizing that hosting the Olympics is just a big boondoggle for rich people and an ego boost for politicians. Meanwhile, taxpayers get shafted and the city usually gets no lasting benefits.

Here are some pics of the Athens 2004 Olympic facilities;

Abandoned Athens Olympic 2004 venues, 10 years on

and pics of the 2008 Beijing Olympic facilities;

Beijing's Olympic Ruins - CityLab

If the taxpayers could vote on these events and were given the facts, they would never agree to fund rich people's stadiums. Here is an interesting article about the economic impact of professional sports;

Slideshow: New NFL team would likely have little economic impact | 89.3 KPCC

There are a lot of things economists disagree about, but the economic impact of sports stadiums is not one of them.

“If you ever had a consensus in economics, this would be it," said Michael Leeds, a sports economist at Temple University. "There is no impact."

Leeds studied Chicago – as big a sports town as there is – with five major teams.

“If every sports team in Chicago were to suddenly disappear, the impact on the Chicago economy would be a fraction of 1 percent,” said Leeds.

We talk about sports a lot, and we pay a lot attention to them, but when it comes to the actual revenue teams generate, the impact is minuscule.

“A baseball team has about the same impact on a community as a midsize department store,” Leeds said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 04:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
I don't blame them. I would think the best hosts for the Olympics are places that have already built the facilities before. I sure don't want all those people in Seattle.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:08 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,864,961 times
The Olympics are just what you said --- a massive boondoggle. In a perfect world, NO U.S. cities would ever host them again.

And I couldn't agree more with you about the whole "sports stadium blackmail" game -- why in the hell should taxpayers fund a stadium for a billionaire? They have such a trivial impact, ESPECIALLY the NFL teams due to an 8-game home season. Any city that votes for a new facility is supporting the worst type of corporate welfare. Think about how long Los Angeles has been without an NFL team --- has it impacted them in any meaningful way? Of course not.

Hell, the state of Florida has 3 NFL teams, and they basically all are horrible. The Miami Marlins of MLB cannot even draw 10,000 fans to a midweek home game, this from a city that has beautiful weather for baseball.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:28 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,738,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Maybe people are finally realizing that hosting the Olympics is just a big boondoggle for rich people and an ego boost for politicians. Meanwhile, taxpayers get shafted and the city usually gets no lasting benefits.

Here are some pics of the Athens 2004 Olympic facilities;

Abandoned Athens Olympic 2004 venues, 10 years on

and pics of the 2008 Beijing Olympic facilities;

Beijing's Olympic Ruins - CityLab

If the taxpayers could vote on these events and were given the facts, they would never agree to fund rich people's stadiums. Here is an interesting article about the economic impact of professional sports;

Slideshow: New NFL team would likely have little economic impact | 89.3 KPCC

There are a lot of things economists disagree about, but the economic impact of sports stadiums is not one of them.

“If you ever had a consensus in economics, this would be it," said Michael Leeds, a sports economist at Temple University. "There is no impact."

Leeds studied Chicago – as big a sports town as there is – with five major teams.

“If every sports team in Chicago were to suddenly disappear, the impact on the Chicago economy would be a fraction of 1 percent,” said Leeds.

We talk about sports a lot, and we pay a lot attention to them, but when it comes to the actual revenue teams generate, the impact is minuscule.

“A baseball team has about the same impact on a community as a midsize department store,” Leeds said.

Hay we are talking about sports here!!! so billons of dollars of sporting infrastructure rotting is no big deal... the games must go on!!!

Old 08-01-2015, 05:36 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,853,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
The Olympics are just what you said --- a massive boondoggle. In a perfect world, NO U.S. cities would ever host them again.

And I couldn't agree more with you about the whole "sports stadium blackmail" game -- why in the hell should taxpayers fund a stadium for a billionaire? They have such a trivial impact, ESPECIALLY the NFL teams due to an 8-game home season. Any city that votes for a new facility is supporting the worst type of corporate welfare. Think about how long Los Angeles has been without an NFL team --- has it impacted them in any meaningful way? Of course not.

Hell, the state of Florida has 3 NFL teams, and they basically all are horrible. The Miami Marlins of MLB cannot even draw 10,000 fans to a midweek home game, this from a city that has beautiful weather for baseball.
... and hundreds or thousands of millionaires.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Boston wisely declines to bid on 2024 Olympics
The Olympics should be held at the same place every time. The whole bidding process for locations strikes me as a dog and pony show, and at the end of the day does anyone really care where the Olympics were, are, and will be held?

[]

Old 08-01-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The Olympics should be held at the same place every time. The whole bidding process for locations strikes me as a dog and pony show, and at the end of the day does anyone really care where the Olympics were, are, and will be held?

[]
I'm sure the IOC executives would disagree. They love the perks associated with the selection process.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:55 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

[]
Despite its economic woes, Greece has long been mentioned as the permanent site for the Games and its an idea that I certainly would endorse.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Despite its economic woes, Greece has long been mentioned as the permanent site for the Games and its an idea that I certainly would endorse.
Greece is bankrupt. They cannot afford the Olympics.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:37 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't blame them. I would think the best hosts for the Olympics are places that have already built the facilities before. I sure don't want all those people in Seattle.
Seattle would have to build something called mass transit.

Maybe Boston could have finally gotten a proper venue for their soccer franchise. And more housing. They could have built the kayak center in Brockton or Lawrence.

Last edited by mm4; 08-01-2015 at 10:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies