Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won in your opinion the 9 pm debate
Trump 71 42.77%
Bush 3 1.81%
Huckabee 3 1.81%
Walker 1 0.60%
Carson 9 5.42%
Paul 6 3.61%
Christie 5 3.01%
Kasick 28 16.87%
Cruz 13 7.83%
Rubio 27 16.27%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 03:53 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,457,597 times

Advertisements

Trump got the hardball questions, candidates like Rubio and Bush got softballs.

It is clear what Fox wants: Another Bush, or a young Latino like Rubio who will supposedly pull in the Hispanic vote.

Fox should stop complaining about illegal immigration, racial pandering, and special interest control of our politicians... which it does all the time....because that makes it hypocritical to say the least.

Fox is advocating (but pretending not to advocate) what the Establishment Republicans want it to advocate:

Keep the flow of cheap immigrant labor coming into the country, keep Hispandering, keep satisfying Wall Street, the Chamber of Commerce and the Koch Brothers.

No wonder the questions to Trump were basically accusations of misogyny, racism ("ugliness"), etc. All very personal. Not a single probing question to Rubio about his full-of-loopholes "comprehensive immigration reform."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 03:54 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,170,120 times
While I have no use for Trump as a person or a politician, I appreciate what he is trying to do for America right now.

He is calling attention to things that seriously NEED to be addressed in our country NOW:

1. The politicians are bought and paid for and the govt. works for the rich, not for the people. None of them really even tried to argue the point when he called them out on it. This is a HUGE issue.

2. Illegal immigration. We cannot afford to keep importing more poverty and crime. We have too much of our own already.

3. Bankruptcy. We are basically bankrupt right now. What are we going to do about it?

4. The banks. Yes, what about the banks, the bailouts, etc. Trumps right about one thing, these guys are not innocent babies. I think I'd like to see an accounting of the bailout money and ask why not a single person went to jail in the huge fraud that was perpetuated on the American people?

Now, do I want people to vote for Trump? No. With that mouth, he'd start WWIII with that equally narcissistic Putin in about a week.

But we need to discuss these issues. By the way, I'm not a republican anyway, so I won't be voting in your primaries.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:55 AM

The low point was "What does God tell you to do?"

Uh, not being schizophrenic, the answer is "nothing."

Old 08-07-2015, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Yeah because no one is probably blasting Trump on social media for his horrendous performance.

Donald Trump is such a joke that he makes Donald Duck look human.
But you really liked him before this debate.

I'm guessing not.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:02 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,986,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Hah! Probably. Trump is a brand, and like anyone who knows how to market themselves, he won't let negative information about himself float out there unchallenged. I'm betting those instances Megyn was talking about were Trump defending himself against comments Rosie O'Donnell made about him on The View. She also referred to comments he made on his show. Reality TV is partially scripted and manipulated by producers; you cannot take show business and think that would have anything to do with his policy as president.
I agree. Bringing up the comment about an Apprentice contestant looking pretty "on her knees" bordered on raunchy. Especially for a presidential political debate. Some people are watching this with their family/kids - gee whiz woman! I think Trump handled it as well as possible by making a good joke out of it.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I'm thinking this was part of the fix against Trump. GOP doesn't want Trump.
They really don't.

Trump has called them on their do-nothing b.s., and they know it.

Plus, he might run third party, and I guess they think we should be terribly upset if they lose and the Democrats win.

What they don't seem to understand is that conservatives see that they have become just as bad as the Democrats.

If they put up another Establishment do-nothing Republican, the Republican base will stay home and not vote -- just as they did with Romney and McCain.

It seems that they never learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
It may not have been all her. Her questions and demeanor could've been scripted/guided by those that want the Trump issue to go away.
Oh, I'm sure she, Chris Wallace and Brett Baier were taking their orders from above.

Roger Ailes, the Koch Brothers, Wall Street, the Chamber of Commerce, the RNC -- the attempt to demonize Trump couldn't be more obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
As for Trump, he impressed me with how he handled Megyn although his closing statement was a rehash from earlier comments. Still Trump's attack on Political Correctness (Nazis to me), has me almost open to consider him. But the fact he identified some problem and says he's going to fix it is fine. Explain to me how you're going to do that.
I agree.

And I was hoping that instead of overly personal "gotcha" questions, the Fox moderators would challenge him (and the other candidates) to be specific. I think Fox blew it with a lot of its viewers during this debate.

It will be interesting to see what Ann Coulter says on "Hannity" tomorrow night (the night after the debate.)

Old 08-07-2015, 04:09 AM

It wont stop them from trying to hype sound bites in an attempt to make it sound super exciting. How many times will they mention the few sentences between Cristie/Paul? You'd think they had a bare knuckles fight on stage.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:13 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,898,747 times
I couldn't finish my popcorn .... had to go wash my hair. Did anybody say anything worthwhile? The only one I saw that showed some reasoning ability was Kasich and we know he is waaay too sensible for the current brand of GOP.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:20 AM

114 posts, read 73,046 times
I missed the live telecast. Here is a video I picked up from youtube. It does seem to have some cuts, but relatively good quality. In my opinion, while Trump may not be exactly eloquent or even politically correct, I found him to be the most original, compared to rest of the seasoned politicians who seem to have mugged up and spat out a lot of well prepared and rehearsed utterings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmPrGrMHEuU

Old 08-07-2015, 04:22 AM

BTW - on the pledge to not run 3rd party, Trump should've responded with something like: "I will happily pledge to not run 3rd party if my fellow candidates will pledge to not accept funding from donors and special interest groups".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies