Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 04:00 PM

50,998 posts, read 24,497,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
No Christian believes the earth is 6 thousand years old... it was a star that burned out.. how could anyone believe it is 6 thousand years old???

Civilization is probably what you mean.. the earth was void..the bible says, it did not have life at the time that man was created.. it does not mean there was no other species that roamed the earth thousands or millions of years prior and died out ..
Time for some teaching.

First of all, there are Christians who believe that. I've personally talked with several.

The concept comes from James Ussher (1581 – 1656), who was the was the Archbishop of all of Ireland. He sought to use the stories of the people of the Old Testament to work backwards to determine exactly when God brought about "the Creation". He came to the conclusion that it happened on October 23, 4004 B.C. at around 6 p.m.

Sorry, but that's the truth of it.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:02 PM

50,998 posts, read 24,497,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
lmao!!!!!!!!!!! This man is the top in the field of pediatric neurosurgery with a specialty of separating conjoined twins and you question his intelligence because you disagree with his religion? That is a knee slapper.!
Yes, because it says something about the man and how he uses his intellect.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:16 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,197,852 times
Such assumptions make me wonder about exposure some of you have or perhaps such things are personal issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
As good natured as Ben Caron is, he's also a literal 6 day creationist. Now, we can say that that's not a big deal, but it kind of is. For a number of reason. It affirms that 'black Christian' problem, which is that when things were universally bad for black people, they used religion as a crutch. This life is one of suffering, but that's how we get to the next one. Which is great if true, but there's no evidence to suggest that it is.

And while his work as a neurosurgeon is remarkable, its also pretty remarkable that he can hold these literally outdated views when virtually none of his peers would. Which again, I think is an aspect of the 'black Christian' problem I stated above. While that exact logic is probably not why he's still a fundamentalist, it likely goes back to either his parents or grandparents (maybe farther), then the usual 'believe the first version I hear' logic maintains religious belief.

I do think he's smart, but let's be clear about how smart. No person who is wholly smart can seriously entertain the idea that the Earth is 6,000 years old. He's obviously not a complete idiot, since they don't have promising careers in medical practice, but he's also not the smartest guy out there.
First and foremost, Seventh-day Adventist Christianity is just that. It is not part of what is labeled the black church, nor was it in existence during slavery (born at the very end). Speak about your own religious background but don't make assumptions about that of others.

I am not a Carson supporter, nor do his actions or statements often align with our faith. However, leave our faith our of your racial issues. Please and thank you.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:22 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,705,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Why are black parents, especially single black moms, not encouraging/requiring/forcing their children to read Ben Carson's books and have him as a role model?
How do you know single black mothers aren't encouraging their children to read? Oh, please do explain.

Do you pay more attention to the ones who aren't or the ones who do?

Old 08-09-2015, 04:29 PM

920 posts, read 934,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Maybe they don't believe being gay is a choice.
Just to clarify, he doesn't address feelings as feelings are fleeting.

He is addressing the actual action of getting involved in homosexuality, which is, a choice of course

Old 08-09-2015, 04:31 PM

920 posts, read 934,703 times
Ben Carson is a seventh day adventist, which is a CULT.

So I wouldn't suggest anyone try to have their children read his book for the purpose of choosing him as a role model.

He did amazing things for medicine though and he is a good speaker

Old 08-09-2015, 04:40 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,382,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Trump, the opposite of your list, is leading in the GOP polls.

Quote:
As good natured as Ben Caron is, he's also a literal 6 day creationist. Now, we can say that that's not a big deal, but it kind of is. For a number of reason. It affirms that 'black Christian' problem, which is that when things were universally bad for black people, they used religion as a crutch. This life is one of suffering, but that's how we get to the next one. Which is great if true, but there's no evidence to suggest that it is.

And while his work as a neurosurgeon is remarkable, its also pretty remarkable that he can hold these literally outdated views when virtually none of his peers would. Which again, I think is an aspect of the 'black Christian' problem I stated above. While that exact logic is probably not why he's still a fundamentalist, it likely goes back to either his parents or grandparents (maybe farther), then the usual 'believe the first version I hear' logic maintains religious belief.

I do think he's smart, but let's be clear about how smart. No person who is wholly smart can seriously entertain the idea that the Earth is 6,000 years old. He's obviously not a complete idiot, since they don't have promising careers in medical practice, but he's also not the smartest guy out there.
BBM~~
Yepper..We all know a very smart guy held aberrant belief's and offed 12 and injured directly 70 and thousands of victim's left behind..So Yep..Being brain smart doesn't give a pass when certain views seem a little off the mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
Many Blacks still believe that going to school, speaking properly and trying to be successful is like trying to emulate the white man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I find Carson's mother more interesting than him.

His illiterate mother was one of 24 children and was raised in a series of abusive foster homes. Her education ceased in 3 rd grade and she was illiterate. She was married at 13 to a man with another wife and family. When this hit the fan, she was left with 2 boys and no skills. She did however get the house in Detroit as a part of the settlement. The house was rented out and mom moved with her two boys to Boston to be closer to a sister.

Probably the most important difference between Carson's mom and most moms of any race is that she turned off the TV and required her sons to read 2 library books of their choosing a week and write book reports on what they read. Along the way, Carson developed a love of reading and learning. His mother wanted her son's to emulate the habits of the wealthy people she worked for and she clearly valued education and the opportunities that would follow

It does not appear his mom had much of a life beyond working multiple domestic job and her church. She left her kids home alone to fend for themselves most of the time.

In contrast, it seems to me that many single moms today, regardless of race, get caught up in themselves and attracting / sustaining male attention. If Carson's mother was more obsessed with her hair and nails and attracting male attention, exposing her children to street guys, the outcomes may have been very different.
BBM~~
Hummm. IF his mother had 24 children..just maybe she availed herself of that safety net his Party is trying to get rid of (the takers)..You know the one's that assisted her and the one's that supported the candidate during his educating years...Never mind trying to Stop access to Birth Control and other things...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And then there's drugs and alcohol......

Nothing quite like using substance to take the edge off one's lousy choices that resulted in a crappy life.

It appears that Carson's mother coped with the hand she was dealt instead of using substance, bling and/ or a new man to make her feel better, in the moment. She did not have incremental children after her marriage blew up.

These kinds of lousy decisions cross racial-ethnic barriers.
LOL..With 24 children wouldn't anyone resort to alternatives in order to cope..First OFF 24 children??? Yikes..After 2 I knew it was time for Tubal Ligation..Course his mom likely had NO $ to avail such procedure!!

Old 08-09-2015, 05:16 PM

38,649 posts, read 26,435,779 times
Quote:

Faith is an integral part of the human experience and something that will attach itself to a religious figure, government or both.

Of these three possibilities, the worst is both.

Religious faith, irritating as it may be to the statist, is what stands between free people and tyranny.

Religious faith provides direction, purpose and moral absolutes that when combined with the courage it also provides allows individuals to take risks and confront evil, and particularly an evil state, in a way the statists sheep never will.

The Founders knew religious faith would be critically important should future generations have need to confront a dictator, and for that reason they separated the church and the state and required that the state not interfere in the church.

Of course, those who believe in the state contend that the church is prohibited from acting to rein in the state but the Constitution only places restrictions on the state.

Solidarity and the White Rose Society are recent examples of those united by religious faith risking all to take on an unjust government.

That Carson`s religious faith is such that he believes in a six day creation is no liability at a time when more and more people are rejecting the state deities and the dead end religion of statism.

I hope we never live in a world without a Lech Wałęsa, Hans and Sophie Scholl or others similarly motivated.

"He's obviously not a complete idiot, since they don't have promising careers in medical practice, but he's also not the smartest guy out there"

So sayeth the Dusty!

In a room full of brain surgeons, he`s considered the really smart one.

Not sure what else you might be looking for.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:31 PM

38,649 posts, read 26,435,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's the last word that comes to mind when I think about Trump. Blowhard is usually what comes to mind.

I say he`s both and that is his appeal.

People are tired of having to watch everything they say because someone will say they are racist, sexist or homophobic.

Honestly, at this point, I would vote for an Andrew Dice Clay / Lisa Lampanelli ticket just to shut up the speech and thought police.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:44 PM

934 posts, read 596,775 times
Same reason the fox news moderators at the gop debate ignored him amd treated him like a neckbone

He even called.them out. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.