Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 03:18 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times

Advertisements

Unless it actually is long term and affects jobs no one is going to give two ****s about it come election day. The main reason McCain got damaged by the banking failures was the nature of the crisis and its closeness to the election. The economy was already stagnant at that point as well so it simply drove the nail into the coffin. Seriously, the amount some of you talk about politics and your inability to actually read the political tea leaves is frigging depressing. Neither party is going to light the establishment on fire in 2016. You will either get a slim Clinton victory or a slim Bush and possibly Rubio victory. There isn't going to be any real mandate though unless Joe Biden or Donald Trump wins the nominations. And that's because they both would get crushed in the general election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 03:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. Said every Republican going into Obama's second election.

A minority own 401K's, 40% down is wishful thinking on your part. And oh look....we already recovered most of it. Yawn.

Chinas got the flu, we're going to get hurt by it. The economy and the stock market are separate things....And guess what? The economy is doing OK. Guess which one matters the most?

And actually what Bernie has to say might be even more relevant when 401K's are down.
Yes--I remember that election. Wonder how many of those predicting election results and issues over one year in the future fared in their predictions regarding Romney--the sure-fire winner.

I fondly remember 1991 when the headlines claims that G.H. Bush was 'unbeatable.' Those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Would that we had a forum called Political Speculation and Wishful Thinking, so that reality could be be discussed in P&C.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:26 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:

A minority own 401K's, 40% down is wishful thinking on your part. And oh look....we already recovered most of it. Yawn.

Chinas got the flu, we're going to get hurt by it. The economy and the stock market are separate things....And guess what? The economy is doing OK. Guess which one matters the most?

And actually what Bernie has to say might be even more relevant when 401K's are down.
Down almost 2000 in 5 days. Recovered most of what?

Old 08-24-2015, 06:48 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yes--I remember that election. Wonder how many of those predicting election results and issues over one year in the future fared in their predictions regarding Romney--the sure-fire winner.

I fondly remember 1991 when the headlines claims that G.H. Bush was 'unbeatable.' Those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Would that we had a forum called Political Speculation and Wishful Thinking, so that reality could be be discussed in P&C.
To be fair I was amazed that Obama won a second term given the conditions of both the economy, and the market when he ran for the last election. The problem in the end was the Republicans couldn't get a decent candidate. Romney wasn't horrible, he just wasn't quite good enough. So far nothing in this years circus on the Republican side gives me hope for a decent election competition. Course Clinton isn't exactly a shining star, so I am hoping she loses the primary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Down almost 2000 in 5 days. Recovered most of what?
It was down more earlier in the day, and had gained a lot of that back at the time I replied.

Again, 2K is in the right range for a correction. Its nothing to panic about yet. Nor is it a huge surprise to folks. Well..maybe to some. Shrug. But that still really enough to get us back into the median P/E (profit to earnings) ratios. So expect more pain...but really...thats stock market pain, not economy pain.

What did you think a market going from 6.6K to 18K was real, and represented reality well? Yeah. not so much. China is about to get brutalized, because if you think our P/E is out of whack....Wow.

China P/E: approx 44-50 (depending on which market, and what figures you use)
US Stocks P/E: approx 26
Average US P/E historically: approx 16.6

So expect some more drops....but again...no surprise.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:14 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
It was down more earlier in the day, and had gained a lot of that back at the time I replied.
understood

Quote:
Again, 2K is in the right range for a correction. Its nothing to panic about yet. Nor is it a huge surprise to folks. Well..maybe to some. Shrug. But that still really enough to get us back into the median P/E (profit to earnings) ratios. So expect more pain...but really...thats stock market pain, not economy pain.

What did you think a market going from 6.6K to 18K was real, and represented reality well? Yeah. not so much. China is about to get brutalized, because if you think our P/E is out of whack....Wow.

Agreed

Old 08-24-2015, 10:16 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
This is pretty much the end of the mythical "Blue Wall."

Old 08-24-2015, 10:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
Here's how it works under the Obama administration. Am I right, dems?

Old 08-25-2015, 08:47 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,435 times
Quote:

The economy is great if you strive to stock sneakers on wal mart shelves.

How can you obamabots say the economy is doing ok when all you rail about is wealth and income inequality?

Sorry - you cannot have it both ways.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:50 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
To be fair I was amazed that Obama won a second term given the conditions of both the economy, and the market when he ran for the last election. The problem in the end was the Republicans couldn't get a decent candidate. Romney wasn't horrible, he just wasn't quite good enough. So far nothing in this years circus on the Republican side gives me hope for a decent election competition. Course Clinton isn't exactly a shining star, so I am hoping she loses the primary.

Pretty much slammed the nail on its head right there. Romney was a compromise candidate to assuage the entire party. The problem is that no one was significantly excited about him to come out and vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies