Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 12:11 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,826,279 times

Advertisements

I think they are, especially on fiscal issues. I became a conservative many years ago because I wanted draconian cuts to the welfare state.I have thousands of conservatives on my twitter feed and none ever talk about cutting welfare.

By far the most important issue to conservatives is abortion. I would argue being anti-abortion is not inherently conservative. In the 1980s I remember liberals criticizing conservatives for being against abortion but then once the baby is born having it " fend for itself". While I was always pro-choice the "fend for itself" aspect was so attractive to me that I tolerated anti-abortion conservatives.

The problem is today I don't hear of any conservatives calling to cut the welfare state. They want the baby born so badly that they are more than happy to provide it with free food, housing and cash for 18+ years.

I think the true conservative position is to discourage birth among those who can't afford to raise children. Birth control and sterilization should be the first options but abortion should be used as a last resort. When a poor woman gets pregnant (often by some primitive "bad boy" type that poor women are attracted to) she should be told that she has a choice....get an abortion or raise the baby with no welfare, no food stamps, no WIC, no Section 8, etc. This is the true conservative position. Encouraging the poor woman to have a child (or another child from a different "baby daddy") and showering it with welfare is NOT conservative no matter what conservatives think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 12:17 PM

18,404 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I think they are, especially on fiscal issues. I became a conservative many years ago because I wanted draconian cuts to the welfare state.I have thousands of conservatives on my twitter feed and none ever talk about cutting welfare.

By far the most important issue to conservatives is abortion. I would argue being anti-abortion is not inherently conservative. In the 1980s I remember liberals criticizing conservatives for being against abortion but then once the baby is born having it " fend for itself". While I was always pro-choice the "fend for itself" aspect was so attractive to me that I tolerated anti-abortion conservatives.

The problem is today I don't hear of any conservatives calling to cut the welfare state. They want the baby born so badly that they are more than happy to provide it with free food, housing and cash for 18+ years.

I think the true conservative position is to discourage birth among those who can't afford to raise children. Birth control and sterilization should be the first options but abortion should be used as a last resort. When a poor woman gets pregnant (often by some primitive "bad boy" type that poor women are attracted to) she should be told that she has a choice....get an abortion or raise the baby with no welfare, no food stamps, no WIC, no Section 8, etc. This is the true conservative position. Encouraging the poor woman to have a child (or another child from a different "baby daddy") and showering it with welfare is NOT conservative no matter what conservatives think.
some fallacies in your post. there are still lots of conservatives who do not support welfare, welfare and social programs for poor women and children. the fend for yourself is still very much alive and well. just check any abortion thread here.

a great deal of conservatives are also against sex education and birth control.

fyi it is near impossible for a young woman to get sterilized if she has no children and under 35. it is even difficult for a young woman with one or two children as most doctors worry they will change their minds and won't do the surgery.

btw lots of women are attracted to the "bad boy" not just poor women.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:19 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,967 times
Quote:

I don't agree, you seem to be completely ignoring or forgetting that most conservatives are Christians, and you are not factoring that in at all. Most/many Christians are against birth control and sterilization. There is a category of conservatives called Compassionate Conservatives. These are mostly Christian and religious conservatives. They believe in providing welfare and have always believed that.
It's easy to criticize him as a governor, but Sam Brownback in the past has labeled himself a compassionate conservative and spoke many times about the positives of welfare, especially for the poor families and single mothers. Once elected he has done the opposite of what he preached for so long, but that is a discussion for another day.
I personally believe this type of conservatism is dying out. Most Christians seem to be moving farther to the right on most issues, including welfare.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:37 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times
Quote:

You obviously haven't been reading many abortion threads on C-D. There are still many, many Conservatives who continue to espouse the "fend for yourself" creed, along with their anti-choice stand. So basically they are saying no to abortion and contraceptives and sex education, and no to any help once the baby is born. Their entire focus is on forcing every pregnancy to term. Beyond that, they have no further interest in the welfare of that child.

Quote:
Your real problem is that your party embraced the Christian fundamentalists. As long as the party allows the fundies to set the agenda, you are stuck with the anti-abortion plank in the party platform. Kick them to the curb. The GOP, and the country as a whole, will be vastly better for it.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:04 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
They said on the news that the Pope has issued some sort of decree based on which women who have had an abortion will be forgiven their sin during the next year or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies