Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 02:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I'm not concerned abut Denmark at all. I have heard people talk (mostly on this board) about how wonderful it is and decided to investigate the facts.

Actually, the cold weather would prevent me from living there regardless of the tax rates.
65 is a beautiful summer day in Denmark. I love, love, love it , especially since winters rarely dip below 32.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Denmark has a lot of cars like every other developed country.

They also have tax deductions for interest payments and commuting costs and various exemptions. The OPs calculations are off.
No one pays the rack tax rates in the U.S. Or Denmark.

The average income tax rate paid in the U.S. is 10%.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:42 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Not really, they can't afford to. If you are talking about taking a train a few miles to the next country like us going from one state to another you might be right, but they aren't going to other continents.
Now, that right there is funny. And completely made up.

61% of international trips are by plane, 28% by those cars reserved for the wealthy, a whole 2% by train.

http://www.dst.dk/pukora/epub/Nyt/2014/NR374.pdf

4% of all trips beyond 4 days went to the US, 2% to Thailand.

Young people in particular travel all over the damn place - back in my day, we'd bum around Europe by train, now it's South America or Cambodia.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Funny you posted this. I saw an episode of Oprah where she was in Denmark talking to a local there and the propaganda was amazing. I use it as an example all the time. Oprah saw all the people riding bikes and not driving cars and she framed it as if they really care about the environment that's why they don't drive and the stupid local woman said "oh yeah, we take the environment very seriously." Then Oprah was taken inside her dinky little one room apartment and asked, "Where are your closets?" The local woman said "we don't have closets". Oprah responded with "Where do you keep all your stuff?" She replied, "We don't have stuff, we have what we need, food, drink and healthcare". The local woman went on to brag about how they can get UE for years upon years and how much they get for their taxes paid. Those people over there don't know what real life is like, they are drones to the system and don't know any better. Funny watching people pile in bags of groceries into their three wheeled bicycles. No thanks!!!!! One more thing, gas was over $10/gal

You are right. " Those people over there don't know what real life is like..."

They don't worry about paying for healthcare, university education, old age or paying their bills should they become unemployed, let alone how to pay to have their cars repaired.

God help the U.S.if the masses cease to over consume and decline to live beyond their means, like most Danes.

Our collective self worth seems tied to our stuff, most of which is manufactured elsewhere, that depreciates the minute we acquire it.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
That's because they can't afford to go out of their apartment and get a suntan.
You must have just made up everything you wrote in your first post, and some lib will be along to set the record straight.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:49 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Good for you. I hope you like the government taking almost all of your money and controlling your life. If that makes you happy, then you should move there. Consider this;

• Danes making over $75,000 are hit with 57% payroll taxes.
• On top of that, their sales tax rate is 25% and is not deductible.
• Then their car sales tax rate is 180%, which makes cars out of reach except for the wealthy. That’s why they have one of the lowest car ownership rates in the world.
• And members of the government church pay an additional 1.5% income tax.

So, if you make $75,000 per year, the governments take $42,750 ($43,875 if you are a church member) before you get your money. Then every time you buy a $600 iPhone, you pay the government an additional $150. And when you buy that new Toyota Camry for $25,000, you have to pay the government an additional $45,000 in taxes which makes your new Camry cost $70,000.

And then, to make life even more miserable, Denmark has the highest ratio of household debt to net disposable income in the world at 315%. This compares to the USA at 114%.

We know household savings is bad in the USA at positive 5%, but it’s golden compared to Denmark at negative 6.28%.

Now let’s compare household net worth. The USA is the highest in the OECD at $142,500 as compare to Denmark at $58,116.

Move there? No thanks. Denmark would be one of the last places I would move.

Sources: Wiki and the OECD data base.

https://data.oecd.org/hha/household-...ndicator-chart
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Denmark
Danish are reported to be the happiest people on the planet (americans are unhappy, just check this forum)
Not having a car is a great deal because they bike a lot and stay healthy.
They don't have crazoid people that go postal killing others die to stress at work, like today in Virginia.
At most they work 30-33 hours a week (americans average 45-50, not counting commuting).
Vacation time in average American worker starting a job = two weeks (5-6 weeks in denmark)
Free college education

It is all about perspective.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:53 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,188 times
Quote:
Funny you posted this. I saw an episode of Oprah where she was in Denmark talking to a local there and the propaganda was amazing. I use it as an example all the time. Oprah saw all the people riding bikes and not driving cars and she framed it as if they really care about the environment that's why they don't drive and the stupid local woman said "oh yeah, we take the environment very seriously." Then Oprah was taken inside her dinky little one room apartment and asked, "Where are your closets?" The local woman said "we don't have closets". Oprah responded with "Where do you keep all your stuff?" She replied, "We don't have stuff, we have what we need, food, drink and healthcare". The local woman went on to brag about how they can get UE for years upon years and how much they get for their taxes paid. Those people over there don't know what real life is like, they are drones to the system and don't know any better. Funny watching people pile in bags of groceries into their three wheeled bicycles. No thanks!!!!! One more thing, gas was over $10/gal
Tell that to my high school classmate.

They're loving life. Having been raised here in the US, she fully knows what 'real life' in Denmark is like.

And she's also laughing at 90% of this thread. Had to share.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:56 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
That's because they can't afford to go out of their apartment and get a suntan.

A suntan used to be a sign of being poor and you worked outdoors. Being pasty white is a sign of affluence.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:00 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Are we really so much better because we spend an average of half an hour each way in our cars on our commute because we don't have public transit options? I live in a city with one of the best public transit systems in the US, but I still have to drive a car for 45 minutes to get 10 miles because it would take more than 2 hours via public transit. That's just not the case is much of Europe, including Denmark. I'd gladly give up my car in a second if it meant getting a first world transit system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies