Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 01:15 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times

Advertisements

Glad for the official name change as it appears the locals have been calling it Denali for a long time and it honors the indigenous people of the area.

Here's a link to the current CNN article on the topic:
McKinley to Denali: In Alaska, Obama to rename tallest U.S. peak - CNNPolitics.com

Old 08-31-2015, 01:16 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Most of what is now Minnesota was ceded to the United States -- legally -- under various treaties.

Paha Sapa, OTOH, was illegally seized from The Dakota People following the Custer Fight … They have never ceded Paha Sapa under any Treaty … The government itself recognizes such by their offer of money decorated with pictures of dead American Chiefs, but the Dakota People just want what is lawfully rightfully theirs …

see: Edward Lazarus, "Black Hills/White Justice: The Sioux Nation versus the United States, 1775 to the Present." (1991)
By answering your example we're hijacking this thread. However, in a nutshell:

Any treaties ceding Minnesota over was conducted only after the U.S. government defeated the indigenous people and they agreed (since they didn't have a choice) to be relegated to reservations as determined by OUR government. As throughout history, the victors dictate what happens.

The Ft. Laramie treaty was already broken before the Battle of the Little Big Horn.

The money granted to the Lakota has pictures of dead U.S. presidents, it's real and it's still there for them to dramatically help their people. As long as we keep prolonging this farce that the reservations are "sovereign" nations within another nation, the longer it will be before these people can escape the terrible situation that they are in.

Maybe we should have paid it to the Blackfoot people. The Lakota drove them out of the Black Hills prior to us even being around.

Back on topic. Obama is looking for anything to redirect our country's attention away from the really serious world problems that we have.

I couldn't care less what that mountain is named. Since it's in Alaska, let the residents there decide.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:22 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
I'm a Republican and I fail to see any issue here. It's a damn mountain. Call it Dog Food Mountain if that is what the people want. I won't lose any sleep. I'm getting tired of the relentless attacks on Obama just as I was tired of the relentless attacks on Bush. Focus on things that really matter. The name of a mountain is not very important in the grand scheme of things. The price of aluminum foil for hats is what I'm worried about. I blame Ford for the new aluminum F-150 and the NWO. (Just kidding)

Old 08-31-2015, 01:24 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
So what? Much ado about nothing, but because OP hasn't checked Alaska's history before posting an Obama bashing thread, he/she isn't aware that the original name was Denali until us nosey Americans decided to change it. So it's not being renamed, but rather the original name is being restored. In fact, the national park where the mountain is located is called Denali National Park. Imagine that

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 08-31-2015 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-31-2015, 01:26 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
...Obama is looking for anything to redirect our country's attention away from the really serious world problems that we have.

I couldn't care less what that mountain is named. Since it's in Alaska, let the residents there decide.
I don't agree with you.

The President and the American people can walk and chew gum at the same time. We can focus on more than 1 issue.

When George was Prez, did he stop doing everything and focus ONLY on the Middle East? During the Vietnam War, did Tricky stop doing everything else and focus only on SE Asia?

No.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:27 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,545 times
Meh. It's that order he wrote having one of the busts on Mt. Rushmore replaced with him that ticks me off a bit. He'll pull it off though to great fanfare from a certain few.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:39 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Obama is looking for anything to redirect our country's attention away from the really serious world problems that we have.
Well it looks like it is working, House Speaker Boehner has been forced to taken time away from his feverish efforts to provide jobs for the American public to riff:
There is a reason President McKinley’s name has served atop the highest peak in North America for more than 100 years, and that is because it is a testament to his great legacy. McKinley served our country with distinction during the Civil War as a member of the Army. He made a difference for his constituents and his state as a member of the House of Representatives and as Governor of the great state of Ohio. And he led this nation to prosperity and victory in the Spanish-American War as the 25th President of the United States. I’m deeply disappointed in this decision.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:41 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times
Quote:
By answering your example we're hijacking this thread. However, in a nutshell:

Any treaties ceding Minnesota over was conducted only after the U.S. government defeated the indigenous people and they agreed (since they didn't have a choice) to be relegated to reservations as determined by OUR government. As throughout history, the victors dictate what happens.

The Ft. Laramie treaty was already broken before the Battle of the Little Big Horn.

The money granted to the Lakota has pictures of dead U.S. presidents, it's real and it's still there for them to dramatically help their people. As long as we keep prolonging this farce that the reservations are "sovereign" nations within another nation, the longer it will be before these people can escape the terrible situation that they are in.

Maybe we should have paid it to the Blackfoot people. The Lakota drove them out of the Black Hills prior to us even being around.

Back on topic. Obama is looking for anything to redirect our country's attention away from the really serious world problems that we have.

You need to brush up on the history of US relations with indigenous people … (BTW, it was the Crow who formerly inhabited Paha Sapa, not the Blackfoot)

Old 08-31-2015, 01:45 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Anyway,

The elite of mountaineering community, those who have climbed the seven summits (the tallest mountain in each continent) have long referred to Denali as, well Denali.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:47 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Maybe you guys should get a clue & speak to some Alaskans. It's a big deal for them & they're happy that it's going back to the original name of Denali. Don't let your political bias show your ignorance or anything.
Yes, but Ohioan's for whom McKinley was named are unhappy, hence this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies