Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Georgia is a wasteland.

Californians, there is nothing her for you, we're all a bunch of backwater hicks so please stay away.

Taxpayers Fleeing Democrat-Run States for Republican Ones

Only one-third of states with Democrat governors gained taxpayers, compared to three-fifths of states with Republican governors.
Lol...no one from California is breaking land speed records to get to Georgia. Don't flatter yourself too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 12:32 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Guess again. In Seattle, we keep getting these Texas refugees. I don't know anyone in Seattle that would ever want to live in Texas but we have an endless stream of Texans who then seem surprised that Seattle is so liberal. Yes, yes it is. And it was liberal before you got here.

That's because Seattle conservatives and libertarians don't move to Texas...they move to Bellevue. It's a whole different state the minute to get across the lake.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:57 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I grew up in one of the most conservative districts in the country and even in the 90s before the bulk of the liberal migration, there would have been NO teachers had people chosen to self-segregate due to politics. Most of those liberal teachers were born and raised in the community. They had roots there. Why would they leave?

Old 09-04-2015, 03:19 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,788 times
Why didn't George Washington just leave the 13 colonies of he didn't like it there?

Old 09-04-2015, 03:27 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,860 times
I'm sure someone else has already stated this, but frankly I'm lazy and don't feel like reading through 5 pages: Why should someone live somewhere based on their political leanings? What if they have family there or friends or a really good job in their desired career path that they couldn't get anywhere else, or what if they love the geography of the place? Point being, for a lot of people, political leanings is way down the list on what they'd consider when looking at moving somewhere.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:53 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
If you are so involved in politics that it is the main theme in your life, you need to seek professional help.
I live in a blue area of my state. I live there because I like the climate. Does the politics of my area annoy me? Absolutely. The waste of funding on feel good projects that don't last is outrageous, but I understand the culture and the ideology of the area. Some things in life one just has to accept. Have any of these projects enhanced my life? I can't think of a single one, but the warm dry climate is conducive to an old and worn body. If pain is my alternative, I'll pass.

For the past 25 years, I have lived in mostly Republican areas in otherwise blue states. Most probably would identify as Christian, nominally.

From a municipal standpoint, the majority can and do spend like drunken fools.

The social issues trend bipartisan. The few people I know who are outspoken in favor of pro choice are Republican voters. Most don't care about SSM because it has no impact on their lives.

They hated Bush. They hate Obama. What else is new?

Mostly though, partisan politics is a non issue among polite people.

Maybe it's different in the bible belt.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:28 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Guess again. In Seattle, we keep getting these Texas refugees. I don't know anyone in Seattle that would ever want to live in Texas but we have an endless stream of Texans who then seem surprised that Seattle is so liberal. Yes, yes it is. And it was liberal before you got here.
And before the California invasion it was conservative, maybe enough Texans move in it will restore WA to normal and get Seattle to line up with the rest of the state.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
And before the California invasion it was conservative, maybe enough Texans move in it will restore WA to normal and get Seattle to line up with the rest of the state.
Here we go with the "it's Californians' fault" again.

That's the ticket. If your state has issues, don't blame yourselves when you can shirk responsibility and blame the California transplants.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:35 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Here we go with the "it's Californians' fault" again.

That's the ticket. If your state has issues, don't blame yourselves when you can shirk responsibility and blame the California transplants.

It is someone's fault because majority of the authoritarian-leftist sentiment is in Seattle, and it is no coincidence that that is where most people who move to WA end up.

But the inverse is also happening: conservatives and libertarians are leaving Seattle, making nearby Bellevue more Republican, and they are also leaving the state. The reason the share of the Democratic vote is going up in California is not just because people are coming there, but because conservatives and libertarians are leaving. And they are making red states redder:

" Instead, there’s evidence that migrants’ political beliefs mirror those of voters in their new destination. Many people moving from a liberal state to a conservative state may be conservative, or may at least end up that way before long. People moving from a conservative state to a liberal state may be liberal."

Migration Isn’t Turning Red States Blue | FiveThirtyEight

They keep saying Texas will turn blue any minute now...and yet it is more Republican than ever before, with the liberal who wanted to raise the minimum wage only getting 38% in the governor's race.

Greg Abbott Crushes Wendy Davis in GOP Sweep | The Texas Tribune

There are Republicans in California...and most are leaving, making red states redder. The same is happening with liberals from Idaho or Utah moving to Seattle.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:54 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I grew up in one of the most conservative districts in the country and even in the 90s before the bulk of the liberal migration, there would have been NO teachers had people chosen to self-segregate due to politics. Most of those liberal teachers were born and raised in the community. They had roots there. Why would they leave?
Because they would be generally made unwelcome in a community of people of diametrically opposing views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies