Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 04:23 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Especially considering the fact there are many Christians who put down denominations they don't belong to as cults, non-Christians, or 'false' religions, etc.. It might entertaining to watch them slug it out over just what Christians should define the State.
Entertaining. But not edifying! It would increase the number of avowed atheists, for sure.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:

BULL! You titled your thread wishing I and others like me "would just go to hell" so save your feigned sorrow for some other occasion.
No kidding.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:42 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Well, actually, I know there are forces in the universe that no mere mortal can comprehend or explain, and that includes the charlatans who claim they can. Believe whatever you want, just don't tell me it's fact unless you can prove it to be.

BULL! You titled your thread wishing I and others like me "would just go to hell" so save your feigned sorrow for some other occasion.

Hey, let's face it nonsenseguy can't even prove that there is a hell.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Hey, let's face it nonsenseguy can't even prove that there is a hell.
But he's knows it's a bad place.

It's the thought that counts.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:18 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Police cars' 'In God We Trust' decals draw complaints about separation of church and state | Fox News

The myth of 'separation' lives on. Why don't these people study the Constitution and find out that there is no "separation" clause anywhere in the Constitution, nor in any of our founding documents?

These are atheists, who want to force their atheism on the rest of us. They are free to practice their 'religion,' but they are not free to force it on me or anyone else.

The facts are that the Founders of this country believed in God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and they wrote in the Constitution that Congress should establish no one denomination as the "official" state church, which the Church of England had been, resulting in the persecution of anyone who did not accept the teachings of the Church of England. This included the "Puritans," who wanted to "purify" the church (why they were called "puritans"), Calvinists (reformers) and others.

The First Amendment was NOT to keep religion out of political life, for it is really an impossible thing to keep ones religion from influencing how one thinks or views the world.

Further, the Northwest Ordinance states in Article 3 "Religion, morality and knowledge, being necessary for good government, and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged."

Nobody said the 1st amendment was to keep religion out of political life. Read it again:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Where does it say you can't have a religion? Religion is a choice, not a mandate.

Jefferson was a separationist, should he also burn in hell?

Old 09-09-2015, 10:21 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Unless you have some evidence that, I'd say you're just looking down your nose at a group you don't like. And, balance that with Christians who become conscientious objectors.
Why would someone who believes in nothing but evolution and survival of the fittest sacrifice themselves for anyone else? God is love and they don't believe in that either so they are essentially smart and cunning animals out for themselves.

What am I missing here?

Old 09-09-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why would someone who believes in nothing but evolution and survival of the fittest sacrifice themselves for anyone else? God is love and they don't believe in that either so they are essentially smart and cunning animals out for themselves.

What am I missing here?

Have you known many athiests? I do, and the ones I know are extremely decent and giving. And some religious folks I know are the most tight assed narrow mean people I've ever met.

Religion does not guarantee kindness, charity, or decency.

You should put the broad brush down and get out more often.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:37 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Have you known many athiests? I do, and the ones I know are extremely decent and giving. And some religious folks I know are the most tight assed narrow mean people I've ever met.

Religion does not guarantee kindness, charity, or decency.

You should put the broad brush down and get out more often.
If they are kind and giving they are living a lie. Humans are brutal predators without the soul given to us by God. We are the only animals on Earth with a conscience.

I get it, they are nice people but they are in denial of who they really are for whatever reason. Whatever it is they should let it go and realize we ARE spiritual beings.

BTW I do know atheists and every single one of them seems to be a self centered twit but that's only my experience.

And I also believe in freedom of religion and FROM religion as well. I'm just sick of these atheists attacking people of faith on this board like they know something that the majority of us (Christians/Muslims/Jews) don't know.

Well they don't, they just think they do.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
If they are kind and giving they are living a lie. Humans are brutal predators without the soul given to us by God. We are the only animals on Earth with a conscience.

I get it, they are nice people but they are in denial of who they really are for whatever reason. Whatever it is they should let it go and realize we ARE spiritual beings.

BTW I do know atheists and every single one of them seems to be a self centered twit but that's only my experience.

And I also believe in freedom of religion and FROM religion as well. I'm just sick of these atheists attacking people of faith on this board like they know something that the majority of us (Christians/Muslims/Jews) don't know.

It seems you're doing a fair bit of attacking yourself. You presume to know everything about 3% of the US population. You get it? you get nothing.

Decency is not a matter of what religion or lack of you ascribe to, it's a matter what kind of person you are inside.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:59 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:

Well said.

Those who claim to be atheists who do adhere to some sense of morality, kindness, charity, etc. do not realize that it comes from a spirit within them that they refuse to acknowledge. I'm not saying that they have the Holy Spirit within them; that is only given to those who believe in Jesus Christ as Lord, and it is given at the time when they first believe. But all men have been born with something the animal world does not have, which gives them the capacity to understand right from wrong (you mentioned conscience). This can only come from God. All have seen the wonders of God's creation. They all know intuitively that God exists. They just fail to admit there is a God. It is a stubbornness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies