Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And with treaties the Senate ratifies them.

U.S. Senate: Treaties

So there's going to be debate on any treaty. For someone (not you) to say that debate is "obstructionist" or because they just don't like the President is ludicrous.
Only this is NOT a treaty.

From the OP link:

By design, the State Department is pushing for a broad political agreement that has buy-in from each country but won't carry the legal authority of a treaty — getting around the Constitution's requirement that treaties be ratified through a two-thirds vote in the Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 05:14 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
While it may seem like a good idea to sabotage negotiations with countries overseas just because you do not like the president, it sets bad precedents for later on. Seriously folks, you are harming our country long term for your short term goals.

Climate change: Republicans plan attack on pact

Don't involve foreigners in our internal disputes.
Public argument is critical to reaching a consensus on issues. It is not acceptable to be told, 'we have to pass it to see what is in it".

the media determines winners and losers these days and are on obama's team. the repubs could have the most cogent argument backed with facts on any number of issues and if the media doesn't support it it goes nowhere.

to say the repubs have the power to sabotage obama is delusional. the media just suffocates the opposition. Meanwhile more harry reids stand up, tell lies and no repercussion. Why? the media happens to be looking the other way.

If media created obama is the greatest orator, why can he not convince anyone of anything except for his adent and rabid supporters? You'd figure if he had leadership ability and conviction, people would be eating out of his hand. Instead he employes lies and misleading statements to bypass any discussion with political opponents who lables obstructive.

Cannot believe you posted what you did.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:15 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

By design, the State Department is pushing for a broad political agreement that has buy-in from each country but won't carry the legal authority of a treaty — getting around the Constitution's requirement that treaties be ratified through a two-thirds vote in the Senate.
So Obama seeks to avoid Constitution by calling it an "agreement". LOL

Seems like a bit much to be calling out those in Congress who might try to derail by speaking to the same governments.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Politics is supposed to stop at the water's edge. You can and should oppose a pact you're against in Congress, in the US press, wherever. But if you start communicating with foreign embassies on your own, that's crossing a different line.
A line democrats crossed long ago. I suppose you don't have a problem with Baghdad Jim though, right?

Old 09-08-2015, 06:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And with treaties the Senate ratifies them.

U.S. Senate: Treaties

So there's going to be debate on any treaty. For someone (not you) to say that debate is "obstructionist" or because they just don't like the President is ludicrous.
You don't have a clue as to what I argued, do you? I pointed out what is happening here is no different than what happened with the Kyoto argument.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:25 PM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No it wasn't. It was a Global Warming treaty. Kyoto Protocol. Defeated 99-0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You don't have a clue as to what I argued, do you? I pointed out what is happening here is no different than what happened with the Kyoto argument.
Not really. There's two of who're maybe not tracking what's going on.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:46 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Since global warming isn't real, kudos to the repubs for thwarting the idiot POTUS mission of idiocy and greed.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:01 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
While it may seem like a good idea to sabotage negotiations with countries overseas just because you do not like the president, it sets bad precedents for later on. Seriously folks, you are harming our country long term for your short term goals.

Climate change: Republicans plan attack on pact

Don't involve foreigners in our internal disputes.

All climates change, but man made climate change is BS.
No evidence, just phony false made up models to get the right outcome.
Add to that three years ago climate scientists were hacked and it was revealed all their data was bull something.

Obama has been on the wrong side of everything but two things. He has been our worst American President and there is no reason spineless Republicans should not try to stop some of the insanity.

Look, worry about polluting the drinking water, that is something we would all have common ground on.
In China 60% of their drinking water has become toxic, we don't want to do that .

Old 09-08-2015, 08:06 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
We can only hope the R's sabotage Obama internationally.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:21 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Public argument is critical to reaching a consensus on issues. It is not acceptable to be told, 'we have to pass it to see what is in it".

the media determines winners and losers these days and are on obama's team. the repubs could have the most cogent argument backed with facts on any number of issues and if the media doesn't support it it goes nowhere.

to say the repubs have the power to sabotage obama is delusional. the media just suffocates the opposition. Meanwhile more harry reids stand up, tell lies and no repercussion. Why? the media happens to be looking the other way.

If media created obama is the greatest orator, why can he not convince anyone of anything except for his adent and rabid supporters? You'd figure if he had leadership ability and conviction, people would be eating out of his hand. Instead he employes lies and misleading statements to bypass any discussion with political opponents who lables obstructive.

Cannot believe you posted what you did.
This is a opinion post by me. I often stick to factual things, and debate those. But this one is my opinion. So believe it

I have absolutely no issue with debating this (the climate change agreement), or issues at all internally. But I dislike it when we bring our issues to our oversea partners. Basically-family squabbles should not involve outsiders.

Yes I do know democrats have done it before. I dont approve of it then, but whats happened now is particularly bad, both with the Iran situation, and now this one. We are damaging the ability of future presidents to negotiate-IE damaging one of their primary jobs. This sort of thing has long term consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies