Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 06:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
----------------------------------------------

From Irving Independent School District Code of Conduct:
when the principal or designee determines that a danger exists.

They had long understood there was no danger.

Quote:
From the Texas Penal Code:

Milner, Finn & Price: Dallas Attorneys: Juvenile Law, Juvenile Delinquency, Minors Using Alcohol

Nothing about parents needing to be present for the preliminary investigation that is performed (might include asking a few questions, ya think?) to determine if a child should be taken in to custody.
They could take him into custody even though there was no justification for it, they couldn't interrogate him without his parents notified. Bringing up irrelevant items doesn't change that.One can't be questioned without being gave their rights. A minor can not waive their rights.

Quote:
Once again, Ahmed said he knew it looked suspicious. It caused alarm and his science or engineering teacher who told him to put it away and not show anyone else knew it would. Which is why he was told to put it away and not show anyone else.
3 days after school detention.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:02 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I don't know what you consider to be an "electronics nerd". But as an electronics engineer, I certainly did not transfer electronics from a plastic case to a metal case and claim it as some kind of invention of mine.

The lengths that you liberals will go to to defend this liar is amazing. He claimed he invented a clock, even though he didn't invent a clock. It's as simple as that. Why won't you guys just admit that you were duped?
I'm not defending the kid at all. But I am saying that he is a kid. Everyone seems to forget that.

You being an adult electronics engineer really has nothing to do with this. I loved playing around with electronic stuff when I was in high school. A friend and I took apart computers, put them back together in another case. I also remember buying a 500 pack of LEDs and making fun stuff with them, and also changing out the LEDs on various products.

Also, I do not recall him ever saying he "invented" a clock, but rather "built" one.

Even if he constructed the electronic device with the purpose of alarming everyone, the police and school mishandled the situation. Like not evacuating the school for a bomb threat... or notifying the parents that the student was being questioned. Hopefully the courts will take care of them.

You just have to think that the kid is 14. Kids do dumb stuff without thinking (I deal with them on a daily basis as a teacher). However, adults should know better.

I don't care what anyone says. If this kid was white, nerdy, and made good grades, this wouldn't have even been an issue. Most likely we wouldn't even know about it because it would have never blown up like this.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:18 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

I don't care what anyone says. If this kid was white, nerdy, and made good grades, this wouldn't have even been an issue. Most likely we wouldn't even know about it because it would have never blown up like this.
Unfortunately the majority of terror attacks have come from Muslims. Sorry for him that he's part of a group whose more extreme members do this, but he is. If he's 14 and did a dumb thing, as someone said, his parents are adults and should have been more aware and sensitive to the potential effect. That is, if they have no ulterior motive behind this.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:15 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
First sentence from your source (pay attention Pknopp):

Did you even read the findings or try to understand them?

Questioning in School and Parent Notification

No cigar for you.
The Court also says...

In this case the Court of Appeals noted that, at the time of the interview, the investigators did not have probable cause to arrest F.C.W. Additionally, he was told he was not under arrest, was free to leave and he was never handcuffed. Further, F.C.W. never asked to leave or to speak to a lawyer or other trusted adult. Based upon the factors considered, the Court of Appeals determined that F.C.W. was not “in custody.” Because he was not in custody during the interview, the protections of Section 51.095(b) of TEX. FAM. CODE ANN. did not apply to F.C.W. and his statement was admissible.

Ahmed was not told he was not under arrest and specifically asked for a parent. He was clearly in custody and not extended the rights required,

Old 09-27-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I don't know what you consider to be an "electronics nerd". But as an electronics engineer, I certainly did not transfer electronics from a plastic case to a metal case and claim it as some kind of invention of mine.

The lengths that you liberals will go to to defend this liar is amazing. He claimed he invented a clock, even though he didn't invent a clock. It's as simple as that. Why won't you guys just admit that you were duped?
I am an EE with about 40 years of experience including the direction of the development of a few hundred pwbs of this sort of complexity.

His claim of "invention" is too strong. So what? He still built the thing and either does not understand the terminology or over values his project. That does not make him a liar...merely not fully knowledgeable.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:34 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
He's a liar and darned well knows it!

Some of you have no choice but to defend him until the libs come out with a new set of talking points about how all the misinformation came from the school/police or anywhere but them...them we'll get to hear your new tune.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:36 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,157 times
Quote:
I'm not defending the kid at all. But I am saying that he is a kid. Everyone seems to forget that.
Hmmm ... Kid screams muzzie. If you forgot or didn't know ... At 14 a muzzie kid is a man.

Does "not fully knowledgeable" mean IDIOT?

El Nox

Old 09-27-2015, 10:40 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
As an electronics nerd, this is how I got started with stuff. I used to take stuff apart, then put it back together or rewire it.

Remember, he's a 14yr old kid, so putting this clock together was a big accomplishment for him.
It's quite literally about three minutes of "work" that doesn't require anything beyond the screwdriver needed to pop open the case the thing came in. That's not a big accomplishment when you're four. It's certainly not one when you're 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc
His claim of "invention" is too strong. So what? He still built the thing and either does not understand the terminology or over values his project. That does not make him a liar...merely not fully knowledgeable.
He didn't really build anything. He took a clock out of its housing and stuck it in a different box. He doesn't appear to be a complete idiot so I find it hard to believe that he thinks that constitutes an invention, much like the circuit board from some sort of media player that he was waiving around on GMA is also not an invention of his - it's just something he yanked out of its housing.

At this point it appears this whole thing was nothing more than a (highly successful) stunt to get some attention and drum up outrage about the poor persecuted Muslim kid. It's disgusting and he and whoever put him up to it should be ashamed of themselves. Muslims face enough discrimination and hatred in this country as it is. We don't need attention grabs making it even worse.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
He's a liar and darned well knows it!

Some of you have no choice but to defend him until the libs come out with a new set of talking points about how all the misinformation came from the school/police or anywhere but them...them we'll get to hear your new tune.
You ever find a legit source for your Cuban quotes? Or are you still basing your views on his garbage?

Old 09-27-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's quite literally about three minutes of "work" that doesn't require anything beyond the screwdriver needed to pop open the case the thing came in. That's not a big accomplishment when you're four. It's certainly not one when you're 14.

He didn't really build anything. He took a clock out of its housing and stuck it in a different box. He doesn't appear to be a complete idiot so I find it hard to believe that he thinks that constitutes an invention, much like the circuit board from some sort of media player that he was waiving around on GMA is also not an invention of his - it's just something he yanked out of its housing.

At this point it appears this whole thing was nothing more than a (highly successful) stunt to get some attention and drum up outrage about the poor persecuted Muslim kid. It's disgusting and he and whoever put him up to it should be ashamed of themselves. Muslims face enough discrimination and hatred in this country as it is. We don't need attention grabs making it even worse.
The stunt view is absurd. It would have required that the family successfully project that the school and police would prove to be hopeless dolts. While it proved to be true I would not have thought it was in any way a rational response. If this family has developed such a forecasting capability they can make lots of money with it in any number of areas.

As I have said invention is too strong. Built is perfectly fair. Our whole consumer society revolves around repackaging the old into the new. The kid did the same. I would still like to hear his defense of "invention" though. If he is as smart as it is claimed he should have some rationale for his word choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies