Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:24 AM

41 posts, read 49,048 times

Advertisements

So many of my friends are always talking about the sick culture of America. All you have to do is turn on the television or look at the Internet and you will see that we have lots of sick people out there advocating a lot of silly and crazy ideas. The American culture seems sick and is getting sicker.

I am curious to hear from people who have lived in other first world countries. Is America sicker than the other countries in the world? (As a whole)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 09:36 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killing time View Post
So many of my friends are always talking about the sick culture of America. All you have to do is turn on the television or look at the Internet and you will see that we have lots of sick people out there advocating a lot of silly and crazy ideas. The American culture seems sick and is getting sicker.

I am curious to hear from people who have lived in other first world countries. Is America sicker than the other countries in the world? (As a whole)
You need to more clearly define what you mean by "sick culture". Do you mean immoral? Do you mean violent? Do you mean self-destructive? Do you mean hateful? Do you mean selfish? Do you mean materialistic/narcissistic? Do you mean offended by everything?

All of the problems in America, are pretty common in all "Western nations", but to different extents. And in every case, they are just getting worse. This isn't an American problem, this is at the very least a Western problem, but more realistically, a world problem.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:36 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
no.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:40 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
What is a "sick" culture?

What you have in America is approximately 350 million people with widely divergent viewpoints, perspectives and cultural backgrounds.

It's not so much that we have more crazy per capita, but more crazy in raw numbers. And lots of media to broadcast it out to the world.

You'd pretty much have to compare us to, say, the entire EU entity (400 million people), or maybe Brazil. China and India may actually not even be comparable, as their population presents even greater difficulties than we have.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:49 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
perhaps you speak of baby killing and the lefts desire to teach 5 year olds about erogenous zones or just the sexual provacation of pop music and liberal rags such as cosmo that are prominently displayed at pre teen eye levels?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:52 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killing time View Post

It's much, much better in North Korea or Saudi Arabia.

Or perhaps we should look to Russia as an example of how to clean our culture?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:56 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
It sure is. It's really horrible here *shudders*. I'd stay in your own country if I were you and anyone else that wants to come here. Door closed, we're cleaning house.

Invade the world, invite the world is over.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:01 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
We definitely have our problems but after having worked in more than a dozen countries, every country has problems. We have greater number of people and diversity and therefore have bigger problems than most countries....but we also have the most solution makers in the world.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:07 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Never thought this and certainly was never told this by my elders.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:58 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Lets be clear here, the problem in America, is something called "Moral relativism". Which basically says, there really isn't such a thing as moral or immoral, good or bad. Usually it draws this conclusion on the fact that morality seems to differ drastically from one culture to another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism

The people who are moral relativists, try to imagine themselves as "humanists". Whose intention is to replace traditional morality, with an ethical code which emphasizes "happiness" and "human well-being". Which sounds good in theory. But human happiness/well-being is heavily influenced by an individual's values. What might improve my happiness, might decrease yours. And what might improve your happiness, might decrease mine.

Thus at best, humanism/moral relativism, can never be based on "what is good for all", but merely "what is good for the majority". Of course, this is made even worse by the fact that studies into human happiness tend to be biased and inconclusive(IE correlation rarely proves causation).

For instance, there has been an obsession with human happiness for the last several decades, especially in Western Nations. But happiness has actually been declining in Western Nations. And is most pronounced in women, whom have been the primary focus of our efforts to improve well-being(IE women's rights/emancipation).

The root of the problem is that, what we often believe will make us happy, rarely does. As an example, most of us assume that winning the lottery would make us happier. But the science shows it has no effect.

Dan Gilbert: The surprising science of happiness | TED Talk | TED.com

Those who are most corrupted by moral-relativism and humanist thinking, tend to be incredibly obsessed with "economic justice", and removing all "moral laws", on the basis that A) You can't legislate morality. And B) That people should be allowed to do anything which doesn't directly harm another person.

Of course, the problem with letting people do anything they want as long as it doesn't "harm" someone else, is based on bad assumptions. For instance, most "humanists"(and libertarians) would argue that a person should have a "right" to commit suicide. That it is a "personal choice", which does no "harm" to anyone else.

Of course, it isn't actually true that suicide doesn't do harm to anyone else. In fact, it isn't true that doing drugs does no harm to anyone else. In fact, almost everything a person does in their life, will have either a positive or negative impact on the people around them.

Thus, not only is the philosophy of humanism and modern liberalism built on a fiction, but all liberalism, including classical-liberalism(IE libertarianism), is equally built on a lie.

Moreover, the very notion that someone has "inalienable rights", is based on a presupposition that there is a god from which these rights are granted, and equally supposes that humans should desire to improve the lives of their fellow humans in the first place. As Thomas Jefferson, the man who wrote the Declaration of Independence, said of the problem with "natural rights"....

"Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that their liberties are the gift of God?"

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters." - Benjamin Franklin

"When such men as these attack religious beliefs, they obey the dictates of their passions, not their interests. Despotism may be able to do without faith, but freedom cannot." - Alexis DeTocqueville

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Whether liberals, and humanists, and even libertarians, have good intentions or not is wholly irrelevant. Good intentions are not sufficient.

They have taken everything we have learned about human-nature and civilization, over the last several thousand years, and swept it aside. Then replaced it with a kind of dogma which doesn't work, and has never worked.

And if you look at "Western Civilization", it should be pretty clear to everyone with eyes, that it is dying.

With that said, I have always been a fan of libertarianism/anarchism, but not for the reasons most libertarians support it. Especially not because of their deranged obsession with money(IE economic growth, wealth, etc). I don't do drugs, I rarely drink(if it was just me, I would never drink), and I have a real obsession with morality. I have especially always despised sexual promiscuity, indecency, and even the lack of humility. In fact, my personal moral code would make most evangelicals look like liberals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9-R8T1SuG4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies