Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 10:03 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
As a woman, no I don't. My gynecologist/obstetrician was part of a group practice that also included a pediatrician, internist, surgeon, urologist, family practioner, and an orthopedic surgeon. I didn't feel underserved.
Quote:
How many get separate line item federal funding other than Medicaid or Medicare reimbursements?
As always...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 10:20 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Hundreds of millions of dollars a year being spent so they can send these patients elsewhere...
Spoiler alert: Breast cancer isn't the only type of cancer. No PCP or gynecologist performs mammograms, just like no oncologist performs PET scans. They simply prescribe the examination.

During college, I received my annual pap smear and pelvic exam at Planned Parenthood because my parents (and, therefore, me) lost their insurance. They also were the first medical practitioner that told me that even at 18/19 years old, I needed to be doing self breast exams monthly and taught me how to do it. Just a few years later, that is how I discovered my own lymphoma.

Planned Parenthood is still the only place I can get in within 2 or 3 days if I have a woman's health concern - and the only place that I can go outside of my normal work hours (which is a huge concern for low income women who might otherwise need to take unpaid time off for their routine examinations). It is several weeks at my current PCP and was the same at previous primary care providers.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:34 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
With far more low/no cost health clinics in low income areas than PP clinics, the other services PP offers are redundant of the numerous other options available to low-income women. PP supporters say that defunding them will result in women losing access to all of these services, but it won't. There are lots of other options for these people, and PP won't suddenly vanish because they stop getting a check from the government.

Its like saying that people will starve because Trader Joes closes in a town that has 5 other grocery stores.
Oooo HOW QUAINT! A picture from a defund planned parenthood site. That can't be biased or anything. Only a percentage of those 13,000 are fully functional health centers. And before you say that I don't know what I am talking about, check out http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov. I put in my address and I got clinics that deal with dentistry, middle schools, pharmacies, and hospital emergency rooms. Louisiana tried doing that same thing in their planned parenthood trial and the judge called them out on it. So no, there are not 13000 fully functional health clinics. I would be amazed if 2000 was the number to be honest with you.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:47 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Oooo HOW QUAINT! A picture from a defund planned parenthood site. That can't be biased or anything.
Then believe the HRSA locator site:

http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/

Old 09-29-2015, 11:19 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
No, we're just opposed to taxpayer funding a private organization for the duplication of public services already available in many more locations.
I'm guessing that it's really not about cutting costs, are there not more costly and important programs that would spur the GOP to shut down the government, rather large coincidence that this is the only one.

They shutdown clinics through changes in building codes, health regulations but that wasn't enough when all else fails just pull their funding.

Already been stated but just because there are 2 clinics in an area does not mean they're redundant.

[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

Quote:
The federal government has no idea how many tax dollars it’s wasting on redundant federal programs every year—but it’s likely in the neighborhood of $45 billion.

$45 Billion Wasted in Redundant Federal Programs: GAO | The Fiscal Times

Old 09-29-2015, 11:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
No, we're just opposed to taxpayer funding a private organization for the duplication of public services already available in many more locations.
So you are for limiting the option of low income people.....

In regards to you link posted earlier shown below:

Quote:
Why do you think that would result?

There are many more no/low cost community health clinics nationwide than there are PP facilities, and the community health centers are mostly located in low-income areas. PP is redundant. It isn't necessary.

Link to a community no/low cost clinic locater:

IF some people think PP is so necessary (it isn't), then PP supporters can step in and put their money where their mouths are. Step up to the plate, donate, and fund PP via a private foundation. I'm pretty sure all the limousine liberals would support the cause. Regular everyday liberals should, too, if they so strongly believe PP is necessary (it's not, as I've already shown).

I am pretty familiar with the clinics listed near my zip code via our local county health department.

Contrary to what you may think, not all of the women's services needs in our area are met by our county health department. From your link, in my area of nearly 300k people, there is only one clinic that specializes in gynecological services for women and they primarily provide pre and post natal obstetrics/gynecological services. They also don't provide mammograms, they like PP partner with other non-profit hospitals and they offer either a free day for a screening or provide a sliding scale fee for mammograms. At PP you can get a mammogram for free with referral and will attend the same hospital that the local clinic refers you to.

As has been stated in the thread Informed Consent, PP does not get additional funding for their services other than insurance or medicaid/medicare reimbursement, similar to the clinics on the link. Contrary to what you may believe, having more options for healthcare, especially women's services specialties provided for by PP frees up time and resources for neighborhood/county clinics to provide other services to other patients. It also gives the patient options in their care as PP many times has extended and/or Saturday hours in my area versus at a county health clinic, and as stated, it isn't as crowded and there aren't as many sick people there in the waiting area at PP.

So the gist I get from you is that you want low income people to be inconvenienced just because they are poor. You don't think poor people and especially don't think that women are smart enough to be able to pick the best provider for their own needs. You want to limit their choices and shut down a specific non-profit organization because you personally don't like them...

Old 09-29-2015, 12:22 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Not that many low cost clinics serving the greater Los Angeles region per your link... There's like 15 million people in that region. Thanks for showing how we need every low income clinic available.
Even worse, the list is for women who are 40 years old and older. What about the women in their 20's? Where are they supposed to go?

Old 09-29-2015, 12:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
So you are against people on medicaid going to private clinics? Since there are public health clinics there is no need for any private hospital, or clinic to receive any medicaid money. Right?

This bill is silly. They want to allow states to decide to fund or defund ANY medical facility that does ANY abortion. We all know this won't be practiced equally since most hospitals do some form of abortions, and you can bet that they will not be losing their funding nor their ability to charge medicaid for other services. This is about PP and only PP. If they were serious they would make this a blanket law. If the state chooses to deny centers that provide any abortion medicaid funds for any other service then it should be across the board. That would mean that no hospital could receive medicaid funds in those states.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:39 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
There is no chance that the wing-nuts are going to hold the U.S. budget hostage to defund Planned Parenthood. All of these PP threads are moot.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:45 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Then believe the HRSA locator site:

You just posted the same link as the guy complaining you're wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies