Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:31 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Misleading title. The study is talking about federal workers, not all government workers. They did not include state, county, city, or various district employees. Teachers and other school staff are government employees, and are barely making enough to live on despite being union. Many, if not most have gone years without a raise. In the tech jobs, public employees are paid much less than in private industry. It's mostly the clerical, admin type jobs where the government workers, mostly because of their unions make more than in others. I agree that many federal employees are paid too much, including
(especially) the politicians.
Very true and thanks for clarifying.

But another case when average doesnt mean much. All it takes is some at the top level and the average is skewed .... Being in the federal govt for nearly 30 years at a field office....there are certainly some big wigs at the DC level but the field offices in the rest of the country....not so much.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:33 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post

10 of top 13 states in number of federal employees per capita are red states.
Does your chart INCLUDE the military and contractors who work in military suuport?

Old 10-09-2015, 06:45 AM

335 posts, read 424,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Does your chart INCLUDE the military and contractors who work in military suuport?
It includes the military. Technically, the military are federal employees under the Department of Defense. I'm not sure if it includes contractors or not. Here is the link.

Federal Employees By State

Old 10-09-2015, 07:05 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post

10 of top 13 states in number of federal employees per capita are red states.

Unpopulated states with a heavy concentration of armed forces (federal employees) tend to skew statistics.

Now post the graph by number of employees, not per capita.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:14 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Ahh yes, the good ol Cato institute. They carry water for the rich, and create insanely flawed studies to back it up.

Lets look at this one...it looks like from what littel information we have that it compares the median income in the US with benefits to the median income for a federal employee. Without any consideration apparently to the actual jobs performed. Nice! And totally irrelevant in most cases. But it makes for a nice way to deceive people. Classy.

And look at those on the right just lapping it up. Its like people WANT to be deceived. Cato also does fun things like trying to claim that wealth in inequality are myths, that the rich aren't getting richer, and that the TPP is a GREAT thing!

Seriously people, studies like this are meant to deceive you, it isn't even all that challenging to see how.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:33 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
This is why several counties around DC have the highest average income in the nation. However, it appears to be political suicide to try to deal with the problem.
Referencing those highest average income areas, I rented a room from a military family in one of them when I took a job on Ft. Meade. You should check the demographics of the one I lived in (Prince George's County) to really see why no one wants to touch this subject.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:48 AM

1,204 posts, read 873,061 times
At 34 years with the Post Office and the most Jim ever made was 61K a year and that was when we was working 6 days every other week. The route was a 42 hour per week route and a 48 hour route on the 6 day week. Guess what---- NO OVERTIME pay per federal law except for Xmas season. Yeah benefits are pretty good, although we do pay approx. 30% of our retiree medical premium. Pension from civil service is 40K no SS.

UPS pays it delivery drivers from 12.36 to 34 per hour.

United Parcel Service (UPS), Inc. Employer Wages, Hourly Wage Rate by Job | PayScale

Are you equally as PO'd about the UPS driver who makes the high end probably mostly due to time on thejob. $34 per hour at 40 per week = 70K. Personally I'm happy for the UPS drivers.

Shown here doesn't really jibe with what you are being led to believe.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:56 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Referencing those highest average income areas, I rented a room from a military family in one of them when I took a job on Ft. Meade. You should check the demographics of the one I lived in (Prince George's County) to really see why no one wants to touch this subject.
I checked it out....Prince George's Co. is overwhelmingly black and only has about 14% white and has an average income well above the US average. Also noticed the County voted over 90% for Obama.

I don't mind paying a fair wage but the income comparisons with the private sector are now way out of whack....I don't see a politician with the nerve to address the pay and benefits imbalance.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:58 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,898 times
Worst workers in the country if you ask me. Every government employee I've ever met is a poorer employee than nearly every fast food worker I've encountered. Let's talk about paying them min. wage, they sure act like they make it already.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:01 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

If I don't work I don't get paid. No vacation. No free medical. MY money is stolen from me in excessive taxes to support these inflated salaries and benefits of bloated govt staff.
And you call that freedom?

You are enslaved to the system!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies