Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 02:27 PM

37,121 posts, read 41,309,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Maybe you should read up on Vitamin A's role in measles complications including blindness, death, etc. Vitamin A supplementation in mega-doses has been shown to dramatically reduce complications such as these. Relax. There is no need to live in such a state of fear.

Back in the day before chicken pox vaccine, many, if not most parents intentionally exposed their children to chicken pox so that they would get this illness in childhood rather then as adults when it is more risky. People who have had chicken pox and people who have had the chicken pox vaccine are both at risk for getting shingles later in life.

Quote:
Serious complications are rare. I wouldn't put cases of diarrhea or ear infections in a first world country into the serious category. Vitamin A has been shown to drastically reduce deaths. SSPE has been shown to happen in vaccinated individuals as well as people with measles and it is extremely rare. If you are vaccinated and well nourished in vitamin A your risk of suffering serious complication in the US is extremely miniscule.

Missing out on school or work are not valid reasons for pushing vaccine mandates without exemptions.

It is useful in preventing complications including death.

Everyone I knew in the pre vaccine era intentionally exposed their children to chicken pox. It was the smart thing to do at the time since getting chicken pox as an adult is much more risky. The risk of shingles in people who got the chicken pox vaccine is only speculated to be lower. There is no way to know if it really is. Time will tell. We do know that getting the varicella vaccine does not prevent. shingles though considering children have had shingles post varicella vaccine.
Vitamin A can reduce mortality from measles by about two thirds.

Effectiveness of measles vaccination and vitamin A treatment

However, if you do not get measles at all, the risk of dying from it is reduced 100%.

If you do not get measles at all your risk of SSPE is zero. To get it after the vaccine you have to be infected with the wild virus. There is no evidence that the vaccine virus causes SSPE.

Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis: More Cases of This Fatal Disease Are Prevented by Measles Immunization than Was Previously Recognized

"Our data support previous epidemiologic and genetic studies that found no evidence that measles vaccine virus can cause SSPE."

You continue to insist that the risk of shingles after the vaccine is the same as the risk after infection with wild chickenpox virus. That is not true. The risk of shingles after the vaccine is much lower, and often is caused by the wild virus, from a breakthrough infection in a vaccinated person. You have been given the references for this repeatedly. It is wrong to imply that the risk of shingles after the vaccine is the same as the risk after the wild virus. Will it be many years before it can be definitively shown that the risk is lower with the vaccine? Yes, but evidence so far supports that it is. That is not just speculation.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
At my age, I do not wish medical treatment even if that results in my death, whether that is from a vaccination or any other "preventive illness", surgery, chemo, or anything that medicine thinks they can treat. As adults, we have that choice you know. I am under no legal obligation to save my own life, let alone anyone else's.
You know, this is unmitigated BS and I doubt anyone here believes you. Refuse treatment for cancer? Go right ahead. Get serious injuries in an automobile accident? You'll be on the way to the hospital just like the rest of us.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:38 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,763,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What strange logic. If you do not get measles then you do not have any concern for having a complication or dying from it. The idea that it would be better to treat complications rather than prevent the disease in the first place is just mind boggling.

The tide is turning. More and more people are becoming aware of the true risks of vaccine preventable diseases and deciding not to enable vaccine refusal based on poor "research" and internet "stories".

I find your desire to control to be very strange, so.....

If the goal is to prevent serious complications and deaths then that is one thing, wanting to prevent illness overall is quite another. If your reasoning for wanting mandates is to eliminate illness then that is way over the top. If your reasoning is to prevent serious complications and deaths then I'd say that you should be honest with yourself about what the true risk is for you as a vaccinated individual. It's miniscule yet you still feel the need to continue on until everyone is vaccinated whether they agree or not.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:

If the goal is to prevent serious complications and deaths then that is one thing, wanting to prevent illness overall is quite another. If your reasoning for wanting mandates is to eliminate illness then that is way over the top. If your reasoning is to prevent serious complications and deaths then I'd say that you should be honest with yourself about what the true risk is for you as a vaccinated individual. It's miniscule yet you still feel the need to continue on until everyone is vaccinated whether they agree or not.
I feel that use of safe, effective methods to prevent sickness is far better than treating it after it happens, especially when the illness is potentially fatal. If the prevention were dangerous, mandating it would not be an option. Vaccines are far less dangerous than the diseases they prevent, and the risk of declining vaccination rates is not just to the small percentage for whom vaccines do not work, and you know it.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:

Again, 30% is not miniscule!

Old 10-14-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Vitamin A can reduce mortality from measles by about two thirds.

Effectiveness of measles vaccination and vitamin A treatment

However, if you do not get measles at all, the risk of dying from it is reduced 100%.
Your risk of dying from measles is extremely low here in the US. It is even lower for you since you are vaccinated. Your risk is minuscule.

Quote:
If you do not get measles at all your risk of SSPE is zero. To get it after the vaccine you have to be infected with the wild virus. There is no evidence that the vaccine virus causes SSPE.

Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis: More Cases of This Fatal Disease Are Prevented by Measles Immunization than Was Previously Recognized

"Our data support previous epidemiologic and genetic studies that found no evidence that measles vaccine virus can cause SSPE."
Epidemiologic studies of measles, measles vaccine, and subacute sclerosing panencephalitis. - PubMed - NCBI
You can get sspe from live measles vaccination. It may not be as common as with wild measles but sspe is extremely uncommon anyway so leaving people to choose makes sense.

Quote:
You continue to insist that the risk of shingles after the vaccine is the same as the risk after infection with wild chickenpox virus. That is not true. The risk of shingles after the vaccine is much lower, and often is caused by the wild virus, from a breakthrough infection in a vaccinated person. You have been given the references for this repeatedly. It is wrong to imply that the risk of shingles after the vaccine is the same as the risk after the wild virus. Will it be many years before it can be definitively shown that the risk is lower with the vaccine? Yes, but evidence so far supports that it is. That is not just speculation.
You are the one who continues to insist the risk is lower with the vaccine and you do this knowing full well that it's way too early for that info to be known since those who have been vaccinated for varicella have not yet reached the age where shingles is common. The vaccine was added to the US schedule in 1996 and even if every child got the vaccine at that time (they didn't) then those children would now be 20. Shingles has never been common in children or young adults. We will have to see what happens when they are older and at the age where more adults are at risk. We have a long time before we will know.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
I see the usual hard core vaxxers and hard core anti-vaxxers have taken over this thread.

*turns around and tiptoes out.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Again, 30% is not miniscule!

30% includes diarrhea and ear infections as serious complications. What is the number for real serious complications such as blindness, sspe and death? I want stats for the US, not Africa.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Your risk of dying from measles is extremely low here in the US. It is even lower for you since you are vaccinated. Your risk is minuscule.

Epidemiologic studies of measles, measles vaccine, and subacute sclerosing panencephalitis. - PubMed - NCBI
You can get sspe from live measles vaccination. It may not be as common as with wild measles but sspe is extremely uncommon anyway so leaving people to choose makes sense.

You are the one who continues to insist the risk is lower with the vaccine and you do this knowing full well that it's way too early for that info to be known since those who have been vaccinated for varicella have not yet reached the age where shingles is common. The vaccine was added to the US schedule in 1996 and even if every child got the vaccine at that time (they didn't) then those children would now be 20. Shingles has never been common in children or young adults. We will have to see what happens when they are older and at the age where more adults are at risk. We have a long time before we will know.
If you never get measles, you will be 100% guaranteed not to die from it. You will not go blind from it. You will not get SSPE. You will not have to be sick, whether the illness is mild, moderate, severe, or fatal. The risk is not minuscule, it is non-existent.

Your link is from 1977! That was well before viral genomes could be sequenced. We now know the vaccine virus does not cause SSPE. Katarina and I have both given you references.

There are adults who were vaccinated against chickenpox during early trials of the vaccine. Their risk of shingles is lower, too. The problem is that there are so few shingles cases in the study group it is difficult to show the difference statistically.

Just the Vax: Medical care for unvaccinated children

Hospitalizations for shingles (which would be for severe disease) dropped in Australia after a government funded chickenpox vaccination program was instituted.

WHO | Varicella and herpes zoster hospitalizations before and after implementation of one-dose varicella vaccination in Australia: an ecological study

Quote:
30% includes diarrhea and ear infections as serious complications. What is the number for real serious complications such as blindness, sspe and death? I want stats for the US, not Africa.
Of course the number of cases of all of those complications is low. Do you really not understand that the reason is that measles in the US was eliminated in 2000 by high measles vaccination rates?

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-14-2015 at 03:38 PM..

Old 10-14-2015, 03:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
About 20% of the Disney measles patients were sick enough to be hospitalized. I haven't seen any stats on what they were hospitalized for, but in the US, you don't go to the hospital for "R and R". You have to be at death's door.
Disney measles outbreak that sparked vaccination debate ends

The last big measles outbreak in the US was in 1989-91. Here are some stats from 1989:
17,850 measles cases for 1989; 41 deaths, about 2 deaths per 1000 cases, same as we've heard for a long time.
Current Trends Measles -- United States, 1989 and First 20 Weeks 1990

Here's a table with the causes of death from 1987-2002
Acute Measles Mortality in the United States, 1987
As you see, most deaths were due to pneumonia and encephalitis

An article about SSPE: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...on-of-measles/

The CDC still says 30% in the US in 1985-2002, including 6% with pneumonia.
Source: Dr. Robert Sears lies to parents about measles and vaccines

In the United States, from 1987 to 2000, the most commonly reported complications associated with measles infection were pneumonia (6%), otitis media (7%), and diarrhea (8%).
Source: https://www.immunizenevada.org/measles

The ear infections can lead to permanent hearing loss; not all are treatable with antibiotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.