Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 06:16 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times

Advertisements

I want to be able to live a healthy life in the world. Are we going to end up like China

99.5 percent of scientists and experts [and] 99 percent of world leaders" agree human-caused climate change needs to be reckoned with, some Republican leaders have called it a "hoax" and a "contrived, phony mess."

"While the world is in turmoil and falling apart in so many different ways especially with ISIS, our President is worried global warming -- what a ridiculous situation," GOP frontrunner Donald Trump said in a video post on Instagram.

Whitman stressed that taking something like climate change, which bears serious ramifications for future generations, and turning it into fodder for political spin is dangerous for the public at large, especially heading into a presidential election year.

How climate change became so politicized - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 06:29 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,002,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I want to be able to live a healthy life in the world. Are we going to end up like China

99.5 percent of scientists and experts [and] 99 percent of world leaders" agree human-caused climate change needs to be reckoned with, some Republican leaders have called it a "hoax" and a "contrived, phony mess."

"While the world is in turmoil and falling apart in so many different ways especially with ISIS, our President is worried global warming -- what a ridiculous situation," GOP frontrunner Donald Trump said in a video post on Instagram.

Whitman stressed that taking something like climate change, which bears serious ramifications for future generations, and turning it into fodder for political spin is dangerous for the public at large, especially heading into a presidential election year.

Your questions: "Why should we believe politicians?", from my experience we shouldn't. Well, unless you're the one financing them, then they listen.

Your other question: "Are we going to end up like China?" Everywhere I look in the stores practically everything is made in China so we're gettin there. When I'm shopping it is very difficult to find products "made in the USA". Guess I'm old fashioned but I've always believed, (from experience) the US makes reliable products...not the throw away stuff being pushed nowadays.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:35 AM

285 posts, read 176,887 times
Even if one doesn't believe in climate change, wouldn't they prefer to have cleaner air anyway – just for the sake of their own personal health? I think there'd be something in it for everyone if more environmentally friendly decisions were made.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:53 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Regarding the question that is the thread title... that's the wrong question.

The correct question is what's wrong with us? - since we keep putting the same people in office that we don't trust.

Politicians are an extension of who we are.

We are the root. The politicians are the fruit. At some point, we need to till the soil.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:46 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Regarding the question that is the thread title... that's the wrong question.

The correct question is what's wrong with us? - since we keep putting the same people in office that we don't trust.

Politicians are an extension of who we are.

We are the root. The politicians are the fruit. At some point, we need to till the soil.
I halfway agree...voters have some responsibility, but politicians will always lie to get in power and stay there. If they told the truth, they would never be elected. That's how the game is, and I don't see any way that can change.

The other thing to consider is what types of people are drawn to power over others? Probably not the most respectable, smart, and well intentioned people in society. They're basically like used car salesmen, but allowed to run your life.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 AM

27,149 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:

99.5% of scientists is a lie.

NASA has at the time fudged the actual data and shown predictions and claims made false.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:42 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I halfway agree...voters have some responsibility, but politicians will always lie to get in power and stay there. If they told the truth, they would never be elected. That's how the game is, and I don't see any way that can change.

The other thing to consider is what types of people are drawn to power over others? Probably not the most respectable, smart, and well intentioned people in society. They're basically like used car salesmen, but allowed to run your life.
The first time - OK. But then they are re-elected. Whose fault is that?

Regarding your second paragraph, many politicians look to enrich themselves. At some point, we are going to have to get people in their with a servant attitude - otherwise, government will continue to enrich itself apart from the citizens. My kids are almost gone - I flirt with the idea of running for some sort of office down the road.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:45 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post
Even if one doesn't believe in climate change, wouldn't they prefer to have cleaner air anyway – just for the sake of their own personal health? I think there'd be something in it for everyone if more environmentally friendly decisions were made.
dealing with pollution is one thing, making grandiose claims about how man is killing the planet by creating global warming is something completely different.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:46 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Quote:

There is always climate change, there just isn't man made climate change. It is the sun.
They use made up models to justify the religion of man made global warming.
The models were made to justify the outcome and past emails hacked from scientist pushing Global Warming proved they were fill of cr@p and made it all up.

How stupid would people be to believe this?
All to get towards new taxes on the west, moves toward a third world status and control of all people by governments.

F no!

Old 12-03-2015, 12:56 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The first time - OK. But then they are re-elected. Whose fault is that?

Regarding your second paragraph, many politicians look to enrich themselves. At some point, we are going to have to get people in their with a servant attitude - otherwise, government will continue to enrich itself apart from the citizens. My kids are almost gone - I flirt with the idea of running for some sort of office down the road.
I did agree that voters are partly to blame. They keep doing the same thing and thinking "it'll be different this time" and it never is. I even go so far as to say that people do that with government altogether. All types of systems or master plans have been tried, and the trend has been toward more individual freedom, but we haven't gone all the way yet.

I know you won't agree with abandoning politics completely, but I do think that it's inevitable that putting some human beings in charge of other human beings will corrupt them if they aren't already corrupt to begin with. Even if there's a relatively honest politician, they are in the minority and won't make a dent in the problems the others are creating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies