Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:47 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Once again, people are forcing the liberal/conservative dichotomy where it doesn't fit.

Yes, lots of people outside of the South look down on people with hardcore southern accents, but I'm pretty sure that liberal non southerners don't do so in any greater numbers than conservative non southerners.

I've got a few southerners working here with some pretty strong southern accents. Everyone here laughs at them and teases them about it. And I'm one of only two so called liberals that works here. Everyone else here is generally to the right.

Sorry, but the accent is simply easy to ridicule and poke fun at. Some of the words they say sound absolutely terrible. Sometimes I can't even tell what the hell they're saying.

This says a lot about you and some of the people you work with. I would not be bragging about the ignorance there. Insecure people feel the need to make fun of others to make themselves feel better.
We have black folks that when they talk it is very difficult to understand what they are saying, but it is nothing we laugh at and make fun of it is simply the way it is.

Last edited by Scotty011; 11-05-2015 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 03:15 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
The same thing can be said about Boston/New York/Upper Midwest, but no one hears those accents and thinks less of those people or assumes they have ignorant views just based on accent do they?
Sure they do. The Southie accent here in Boston results in similar low class, uneducated stereotypes as a Southern accent. You just might not be so aware because it represents a relatively small group of people compared to the all encompassing "Southern accents" (really a few dozen accents) that span from the Appalachias down to the Gulf Coast.

The more "genteel" Southern accent doesn't attract nearly so much notice, which is similar to the Boston Brahmin accent in how it is regarded.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:37 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
This says a lot about you and some of the people you work with. I would not be bragging about the ignorance there. Insecure people feel the need to make fun of others to make themselves feel better.
We have black folks that when they talk it is very difficult to understand what they are saying, but it is nothing we laugh at and make fun of it is simply the way it is.
It's politically correct to harass and ridicule or make fun of only white coworkers. Just try to ridicule or make fun of a non-white at work and see what happens. Whites are second class citizens in their own country.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:39 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
No moreso than white southern conservative Christians, many with southern accents, negatively stereotype American Muslims and Blacks.

Man, what a stereotype!

Old 11-05-2015, 03:43 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
No moreso than white southern conservative Christians, many with southern accents, negatively stereotype American Muslims and Blacks.
You must not spend much time in the South. Any self respecting Southerner will take all day and an extra hour to mock and stereotype idiot Yankees before anyone else. Even black Southerners do it.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:47 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
My question is this: Do you think we've we gotten to a point in society where a good amount of people on the left are conditioned to think negatively of someone when they hear them speaking with a distinct southern accent, as if it meant they instantly assume this person to be "ignorant" and then believing that they couldn't possibly get along with them because of their perceived social views? .
Yes. Just read some posts on this board. Lots of NE Liberals hate everything Southern.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:52 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Everyone has accents and they can represent different things to different people.

I would disagree with many who think a southern accent represents racism and an uneducated population.

You can find ignorance anywhere in the world. The city or part of the country doesn't make you anymore or anyless smart. Your politics and religion doesn't make you smart or dumb.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:

The same thing can be said about Boston/New York/Upper Midwest, but no one hears those accents and thinks less of those people or assumes they have ignorant views just based on accent do they?
No, the same thing can't be said of those people. The Southern accent sounds far worse.

Well, that upper Midwest accent is pretty annoying too, but i can tolerate it better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
You don't laugh at them and make fun of them because you can't. That's why.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:18 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:

You can't convince me that there aren't some people who hear country music (I personally don't like it, just saying), see a Southern person on TV, hear on the radio, watch SEC football fans, whatever and immediately think in their heads what I explained above.

It's an odd thing to think about as a millenial-aged moderate Republican who lives in the South with no accent and to wonder if people would think differently of me if I spoke in a different dialect.
I think SOME people instantly attach cultural stereotypes and subjective judgments about people’s knowledge and abilities from hearing their accent in speech. It is not just a Liberal or conservative thing, it is a human thing.

I have many friends from the south, I personally think southern accent is very sexy because I associate southern accent with southern hospitality, and southern charm. If I dislike people from the south, I am sure I would have something negative to say about southern accent.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think SOME people instantly attach cultural stereotypes and subjective judgments about people’s knowledge and abilities from hearing their accent in speech. It is not just a Liberal or conservative thing, it is a human thing.

I have many friends from the south, I personally think southern accent is very sexy because I associate souther accent with southern hospitality, and southern charm.
LOL...what is "southern hospitality?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies