Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:08 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That is not accurate. Majority of ISIS victims are muslims. Besides, the people are not just fleeing ISIS, they are fleeing the civil war.
They should not be permitted to flee their own civil war. How is it supposed to be resolved if both sides are not allowed to fight it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 01:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The citations you've supplied in this thread don't apply to Syrian Christian refugees as a whole.

They only apply to Syrian refugees that applied to the United States.

Holy hell -- YOU are the one who responded to something I said, not the other way around.

It appears you're just trying to silence people who don't blindly accept your unsupported claims.
LOL my "unsupported claims." BS. The many sources that I have linked to throughout this thread, supporting my views, do not "only apply to Syrian refugees that applied to the US." And I'm not trying to silence anyone - feel free to continue to overlook, misapply, twist, or otherwise argue about anything I or anyone else says - it's not like I have any ability to silence you or anyone else on this forum. If your answers interest me, I'll respond. If not, I won't. That's not "silencing" you or anyone else.

Ridiculous.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:13 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL my "unsupported claims." BS. The many sources that I have linked to throughout this thread, supporting my views, do not "only apply to Syrian refugees that applied to the US."
I see no citations of yours that give statistics for all Syrian Christian refugees.

Which is required in order for your claims to be 'supported by evidence.'

Old 11-18-2015, 01:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
I see no citations of yours that give statistics for all Syrian Christian refugees.

I think she knows that US does not reject anyone for being Christian. The whole claim in the OP is very misleading.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I think she knows that US does not reject anyone for being Christian. The whole claim in the OP is very misleading.
I never stated or implied that the US rejects anyone because they are Christians. And I didn't post the OP.

My gosh, is everyone speaking English here? Words have meanings. Le Roi - read what I say rather than what you want to think I'm saying.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:

I am not nor have I ever claimed that the only group of Syrian Christians I have been discussing are REFUGEES. Wow, way to move the goal posts. I've been discussing the plight of Syrian Christians in general - not only Syrian Christian refugees. The exact question that Finn and I have been batting around is "HOW MANY SYRIAN CHRISTIANS ARE ACTUALLY REFUGEES AND IF SO, WHERE HAVE THEY BEEN GOING?"

Please quit trying to twist my words. Your efforts are very obvious and do nothing to bolster your own credibility.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I am not nor have I ever claimed that the only group of Syrian Christians I have been discussing are REFUGEES. Wow, way to move the goal posts. I've been discussing the plight of Syrian Christians in general - not only Syrian Christian refugees. The exact question that Finn and I have been batting around is "HOW MANY SYRIAN CHRISTIANS ARE ACTUALLY REFUGEES AND IF SO, WHERE HAVE THEY BEEN GOING?"

Please quit trying to twist my words. Your efforts are very obvious and do nothing to bolster your own credibility.
The question I have is how many Christian refugees have been turned back for being Christian. I suspect the number is zero.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
The question I have is how many Christian refugees have been turned back for being Christian. I suspect the number is zero.
That's the second question you had though. The first question - one that you and I both raised - was "What percentage of Syrian refugees are Christians?" which is a very valid question considering that ten percent of Syrians (current stats) are Christians, and only three percent of Syrian refugees allowed into the US are Christians.

Hence my delving into whether or not Syrian Christians generally end up in refugee camps (they generally don't and I provided valid sources to back that claim) or whether or not they would be considered political refugees if they applied for political asylum in the US or through the international vetting process in place now (they usually would not be, according to the sources that I cited, because they are not being persecuted by the Syrian GOVERNMENT).

You haven't provided any source to bolster your suspected answer to your second question. And I've never claimed that any Syrian Christians have been denied in the US because they are Christians. So there we have it.

I have, however, pretty well proven my conclusion that a much smaller percentage of Syrian Christians are identified as political refugees because 1) they are often just as persecuted in the refugee camps as outside of them, and 2) they are not classified by other nations or entities as "political refugees" because they are not being persecuted in most cases by the Syrian government, but by ISIS - which is not enough to infer the option of political asylum to them.

So - are Christian Syrians being denied asylum in the US because they're Christians? No. They are not being categorized as political refugees seeking political asylum in most cases.

But the end result for them is tragic all the same - they can't get out of Syria and they are being targeted there by ISIS and persecuted, attacked, and killed in increasing numbers. They have even fewer options than many other Syrians, and that's a sad state of affairs for them.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:18 PM

To regroup, this is what was stated in the OP:

Quote:
"The United States' reliance on the United Nations for referrals of Syrian refugees should also be re-evaluated," Arkansas Republican Sens. Tom Cotton and John Boozman said in a statement.

"That reliance unintentionally discriminates against Syrian Christians and other religious minorities who are reluctant to register as refugees with the United Nations for fear of political and sectarian retribution."

"The American people have long demonstrated unmatched compassion for the world's persecuted and endangered," the senators add.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com US Accepts Less Than 3 Percent Christian Refugees, 96 Percent Muslims
Neither the OP, nor I, claimed that Syrian Christians were being intentionally turned away BECAUSE they are Christians.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
That's the second question you had though. The first question - one that you and I both raised - was "What percentage of Syrian refugees are Christians?" which is a very valid question considering that ten percent of Syrians (current stats) are Christians, and only three percent of Syrian refugees allowed into the US are Christians.
Actually the questions I asked were:

1. How many Syrian Christian refugees apply to come to US, but are rejected by US immigration
2. How many Syrian muslim refugees apply to come to US, but are rejected by US immigration

That is the only way to compare the acceptance / rejection rates in US.

And then I asked how many refugees have been turned back for being Christian.

I said, if I had been a Christian in Syria, I would have left years ago, and I suspect this is the reason why there are so few trying to come to US at this time. If they are not coming to US in the first place (for whatever reason), then it only proves the OP wrong.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-18-2015 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies