Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 03:35 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,944 times

Advertisements

Liberals keep parroting meaningless statistics like "The X richest people own Y% of the wealth". My question is, why do you consider this an issue?

Are you saying that you're poor because someone else is rich? Did you ever consider that all the extra wealth they have is wealth that was produced by them or their company? Them generating wealth doesn't somehow make you less wealthy.

Maybe it's time to get over your envy of others' success. It sounds like babies crying about how other children have more toys than them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 04:27 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
I don't consider myself a Liberal (I can't stand the intolerant ones (which are the majority of liberals)) but the wealth gap is not a good thing as it causes envy, greed, and unbalanced distribution of resources. I advocate a myriad of fixes starting with higher taxes on the very wealthy, inheritance taxes on the very wealthy, higher minimum wage, better schools (destroy the closed minded liberal indoctrination) and vocational training, national healthcare.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:20 AM

128 posts, read 93,891 times
Quote:
I don't consider myself a Liberal (I can't stand the intolerant ones (which are the majority of liberals)) but the wealth gap is not a good thing as it causes envy, greed, and unbalanced distribution of resources. I advocate a myriad of fixes starting with higher taxes on the very wealthy, inheritance taxes on the very wealthy, higher minimum wage, better schools (destroy the closed minded liberal indoctrination) and vocational training, national healthcare.

I'm curious can you give any examples on how well it worked for france.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:27 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
I'm curious can you give any examples on how well it worked for france.
Yes there will be some potential downsides but keep in mind I'm not suggesting rates as high as France but ours are too low I believe. I'm not down on France as a country on their policies other than I fear what will happen to them as their Muslim minority becomes much larger and potentially the majority.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:29 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Democrats don't practice what they preach anymore. More and more the dems have become the party of the elitists and wealthy and no longer truly represent the average American blue collar worker. They now brag about being the party of the educated and well to do (progressives). You only have to look at who they were a couple of decades ago and who they are now with elitists like Obama and Hillary. They only care about the average Joe as far as social programs because it keeps a stronghold on the poor as a voting block. The dems stronghold states are those with the highest income and property values like CA, NY, New England.
Republicans on the other hand more and more have become the party of the middle class being more pro religion, pro guns and lower taxes with the vast majority of Americans in the middle heart of America voting republican from red states. A good example of this is Trump. Although he is uber wealthy, he doesn't portray himself as snobish and elitist like Hillary does. He speaks like the common person without the politically correct jargon. Blue collar workers relate to him very well and he employs thousands of them around the world. The only blue collar workers Hillary employs are maids to take care of her homes. Another example is Marco Rubio who is about as middle class as you can get and many people can relate to his financial issues that the dems have tried to use against him.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:35 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Too many people fail to understand the nature of personal vs. corporate vs. institutional wealth. To the twerps who sit in front of the tube with their drug of choice, the perception of a capitalist is someone hiding out at some exclusive country club, and their view of wealth is a pile of cash or at most, a generous bank account. Many, if not most of them can't understand that most of that wealth is represented by the value of the shares of the corporate entity which was created as a defense against confiscation of assets by abuse of government power, and that if they and their political lackeys start making too many threats, the value of the shares will erode and the looters will have nothing to loot.

The basic nature of human want is such that although any number of visionary people might come up with an idea which fits an emerging market, only a few possess the foresight and perseverance to adapt that idea to the structure of an enterprise -- let alone find and develop a team of individuals to run it. Just as the majority of Business Administration degree holders end up "properly placed" and stagnated in middle management, so the majority of emerging businesses either fail, or are bought out by a competitor, often at far less than their "book value".

And when the creators of this wealth succumb to the natural processes of time and age, much of that wealth ends up in the hands of non-profit institutions and philanthropies. Redistribution by other means would accomplish nothing more than a short-term enrichment of another group of entrepreneurs supplying bread, circuses, drugs and electronic diversions to the Great Unwashed.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-07-2015 at 06:28 AM..

Old 12-07-2015, 05:42 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Obama? Is that you?

Old 12-07-2015, 05:45 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
For someone who doesn't consider himself liberal, you certainly have a good grasp of everything they believe in and want to promote.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:50 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Liberals keep parroting meaningless statistics like "The X richest people own Y% of the wealth". My question is, why do you consider this an issue?

Are you saying that you're poor because someone else is rich? Did you ever consider that all the extra wealth they have is wealth that was produced by them or their company? Them generating wealth doesn't somehow make you less wealthy.

Maybe it's time to get over your envy of others' success. It sounds like babies crying about how other children have more toys than them.
Nothing wrong with rich people. But, money earned based on crony capitalism is a travesty. And a lot of this so-called wealth is the end result of crony capitalism.

Why is this important? Any country that has a HUGE concentration of wealth in the hands of a few is probably a 3rd world country ripe for revolution.

Otherwise, the generation of wealth is a very good thing. It would be great to have many more Bill Gates instead of managers of vulture funds. The former creates wealth whereas the latter does not create wealth.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:11 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post

Jonathan Chait has a terrific takedown of inequality deniers.
Quote:
Here are the basic facts. For Americans at most income levels, wage growth has dramatically slowed over the past three decades, compared with the three decades that followed World War II. At the same time, overall inequality has risen, and inequality between the richest 1 percent and everybody has skyrocketed. The Congressional Budget Office’s masterful study lays out these facts in impressive detail.
There is a massive amount of scholarly writing on this very topic. I suggest you start by reading this short article: Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% | Vanity Fair

Then read this fine book by by Thomas Piketty, Capital in the Twenty-First Century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies