Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 12:17 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Maybe you should read the methodology. The 10's are what most people consider self made, and they are a trivial 8% of the richest.
It's a sliding scale. Someone who inherits $1 million and builds that into a several billion $ net worth is indeed self-made. Otherwise, they'd be worth that $1 million less living expenses. Don't be stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 12:18 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We also have open borders and very generous welfare programs.
Poor all over the world want to come and live here because we have the richest poor in the world.
You are aware that we actually spend less on social services then most as a % of GDP, and have no healthcare for people who come here illegally.

To give you some idea The median net worth of our bottom 25% is 0
That means all thier "TV's, AC units, cars, etc etc etc". Is 0 when compared to their debts.

For example-where I live rent is excessive. So one months rent owed, and a flatscreen TV, a xbox one, and a cell phone.....is balanced against a debt thats higher then the value of everything you own.

The bottom 50% probably have the equivalent of a car. A couple years old....and thats it.

Our generous welfare programs...arent what you think. Dont fall for the rhetoric. People all too often reference the best possible income on ALL the programs. You know, you're disabled vet, who takes care of their disabled mom, with 2 kids sort of thing.

Be a married couple with no kids. Feel free to talk about our awesome welfare programs. Heres a clue-theres NOTHING for you. And that covers the majority of us.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's a sliding scale. Someone who inherits $1 million and builds that into a several billion $ net worth is indeed self-made. Otherwise, they'd be worth that $1 million less living expenses. Don't be stupid.
Someone who inherits a million to start off with is self made......

And you call me stupid. Please. stop with the personal attacks, and discuss the subject.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
You are aware that we actually spend less on social services then most as a % of GDP, and have no healthcare for people who come here illegally.

To give you some idea The median net worth of our bottom 25% is 0
That means all thier "TV's, AC units, cars, etc etc etc". Is 0 when compared to their debts.

For example-where I live rent is excessive. So one months rent owed, and a flatscreen TV, a xbox one, and a cell phone.....is balanced against a debt thats higher then the value of everything you own.

The bottom 50% probably have the equivalent of a car. A couple years old....and thats it.

Our generous welfare programs...arent what you think. Dont fall for the rhetoric. People all too often reference the best possible income on ALL the programs. You know, you're disabled vet, who takes care of their disabled mom, with 2 kids sort of thing.

Be a married couple with no kids. Feel free to talk about our awesome welfare programs. Heres a clue-theres NOTHING for you. And that covers the majority of us.

So what's your plan...have the government seize their assets, sell them off and keep the money ?

We tax income at the Fed level.
If you invested your money in appreciating assets rather than spend it all why the angst ?

Bill Gates earned that money. Now he has a Foundation that spends millions on various efforts all over the world.
Is that not good enough for you ? You want your cut ?

Old 12-07-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Most means more than 1/2 but I'm sure you knew that.
Yes...which is why I made my point. most do not in fact go broke. Polls of past winners indicate that about 1/3 do. the majority-ie most-do not.

To be fair the journalism that covers the failures tend to make you think otherwise, but its incorrect.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:23 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
Someone who inherits a million to start off with is self made......

And you call me stupid. Please. stop with the personal attacks, and discuss the subject.
So many are just out of touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7goA_DnGIbU

Old 12-07-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
So what's your plan...have the government seize their assets, sell them off and keep the money ?

If you invested your money in appreciating assets rather than spend it all why the angst ?
Wow, look at you, you're the second person to accuse me of something I did not say, in the same way. Do you people have a shared folder that says "accuse them of wanting to take all their money?"

A higher tax rate would at least slow it down. Theres tons of different ways of helping resolve the issue. I'm ALL for some inequality, I think its a great thing. But I also recognize that at a certain point it becomes a bad thing.

Its like if I said "Hey we should stop people from drowning" and your response is "How, should we drain the oceans and put all the water in a huge barrel?"

Old 12-07-2015, 12:25 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
You do know theres a whole forum for that topic?

Why do you always try to derail these topics?
It's a legitimate question on the topic of "liberals taking issue with the wealth gap." If Dems have an aversion to those earning lower incomes, why do we need to accept and coddle illegal aliens and refugees the DHS says we cannot even vet effectively? It's not like they're going to be 1%-ers.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's a legitimate question on the topic of "liberals taking isue with the wealth gap." If Dems have an aversion to those earning lower incomes, why do we need to accept and coddle illegal aliens and refugees the DHS says we cannot even vet effectively?
No its not, its a attempt to derail the conversation to a different topic that we have a ENTIRE sub forum for.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:26 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:

Bill Gates earned that money. Now he has a Foundation that spends millions on various efforts all over the world.
Is that not good enough for you ? You want your cut ?
Stop rewarding detached nationless corporations for cutting their workforce here and hiring near-slaves overseas.

Stop economic programs that are only meant to keep the current financial power structure in place. The "too big to fail" banks have only grown to become more powerful and to control more of our economy since we bailed them out. It was the same story-and same banks during and after the Great Depression. Bust up the big banks, and de-monopolize the media.

Stop going to war for the benefit of detached nationless corporations. It is not a very good economic stimulus despite what the numbers say. We will be bankrupt as a society-morally and financially if it continues. War, healthcare, prisons, our justice system, education should not be FOR PROFIT, especially when those making the profit don't have the interests of Americans or The US at heart.

Stop allowing money given to politicians to be so concealed and distorted. Every politician should wear the brands of the companies that are paying them. Our Government should not be so easily corrupted.

Scrap the Federal Reserve and usher in a new currency that is debt-free, owned and controlled by the people and a Central Bank that is more transparent. I'll bet the new currency could even remain the world's reserve currency if we expose what The Fed is and has done, and how the new currency will solve these issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies