Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So, are low crude oil and gasoline prices good or bad?
This is good (Gasoline is cheap, I pay less) 51 78.46%
This is bad (Lost jobs, International instability, Encourages people to use more fossil fuels) 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:21 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,514,587 times

Advertisements

So, are the current historically low crude oil and gasoline prices good or bad?

WTI is down below $35 per barrel for the first time since the bottom of the financial crisis in 2009. This trend was initially started by a combination of increased crude oil from US fracking activities on the supply side and lower quantities of crude oil demanded internationally as a result of a weak worldwide economy.

Over the last year or so, the downward trend on crude oil and gasoline prices has accelerated due largely to Saudi Arabia's strategy to flood the market with cheap crude in order to undermine the economics of the US fracking industry. If the Saudi's are successful, oil supplies will eventually be reduced again when their control over prices has been sufficiently restored. At that point we would, if they were to have their way, be at their mercy with regards to crude oil prices, yet again.

Quote:
Are Low Crude Oil Prices a 'Boom Or A Curse' For The World Economy?

The energy markets are tanking and are at levels that have not been seen since 'The Recession' of 2009. Opinions are divided on the effects of the fall. Some say it is good for consumers, whereas, others say it is bad for the global economy. This article will analyze the overall effects of low crude oil prices on the industry, the major oil-producing nations, consumers and the overall global economy.
Of course we all like paying less at the pump. I filled my car up with premium (93 Octane) at the Costco the other day for $1.95 per gallon. Wow. If you had asked me a year ago, I would have been tempted to say we might never see prices that low on gasoline again. But here they are.

I like paying less for gasoline, don't you?

Then again, hundreds of thousands of people have lost their jobs already because of this international market manipulation and price fixing scheme. Many countries that have built their budgets around oil revenues, especially in the notoriously unstable Middle East, and also Russia, Venezuela, etc. are dependent on higher crude oil prices to make ends meet. The human costs of this are enormous, and it could very well lead to a number of wars, perhaps even a major war in the Middle East. The possibility for international instability and violence as a result of these historically low crude oil prices are really quite substantial.

Also, I am not an AGW alarmism nut, but many of the people who are, including our current President Barack Obama, have made it clear that their preferred way to wean people off of fossil fuels is to jack up the prices way high, preferably through the addition of enormously high oil and gasoline (paid at the pump) taxes. So, on top of everything else, the current low prices are currently serving to promote more fossil fuel usage and to undermine the economic argument for using "renewable" energy, such as solar, wind, etc.

With all that in mind, what do you think? Are low oil and gasoline prices good or bad?

Last edited by Spartacus713; 12-14-2015 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 07:24 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,178,741 times
The positives out weigh the negatives but with prices this low people are driving more and generating more pollution.

Good time to raise the gas tax and fund some work on infrastructure.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:25 AM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Don't care if it's good for the rest of the world.
It's good for me and that's all that matters.

#my life matters

Old 12-14-2015, 07:46 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
On the whole, it's good for prices to be low. My particular industry and company (Engineering large industrial projects) are hard hit and it's hammering the industry really hard but that doesn't make the overall effect negative.

I guess the one thing that might be a net negative is the low prices will encourage higher consumption resulting in more Global Warming.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:49 AM

906 posts, read 712,016 times
It's inconsequential

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Low prices.

The earth will heat or cool despite what humans will do.

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Now if we could only crash other markets.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
In general, it's good. Transportation costs are low, and that has a big resonating effect across the economy in many areas outside of trucking/rail/airlines.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:51 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
Good or bad, low oil prices will not remain. The price will come back. It has to. The price isn't high enough to give incentives to a lot of drilling of new wells. Therefore the oil supply will decline due to lack of drilling. Old, low productivity wells will stop producing, then there will be a shortage of supply and the price will rise again. It happens over and over again, like clockwork.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:54 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Good or bad, low oil prices will not remain. The price will come back. It has to. The price isn't high enough to give incentives to a lot of drilling of new wells. Therefore the oil supply will decline due to lack of drilling. Old, low productivity wells will stop producing, then there will be a shortage of supply and the price will rise again. It happens over and over again, like clockwork.
The Saudis and OPEC have amped up their production to drive fracking into bankruptcy.

I say stop all oil imports, rely on North American oil that keeps the wells pumping and the jobs safe and tell the Saudis to go eff a camel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies