Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 10:31 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. I paid teenage babysitters and lawn mowers in cash. I also tip wait staff and hair stylists in cash.
Actually, waitstaff only makes typically $2.35 per hour and are MADE by empolyer and feds to attest to making at least min wage. So depending on the place, those tips are probably declared. And if you tip on a credit card they definitely are.

Also, you don't need to pay taxes or even file if you make under ~8k per year. So those babysitters are probably safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 10:42 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I call BS on any cleaning lady making $125 per hour!! $25 usually goes to an agency. The staff makes like 10-15. SOOOO....... if hiring illegal cleaning ladies, the *most* I would think it would be worth for the Ahole hiring an illegal is 15-20 per hour.

Regardless, the REAL PROBLEM is people HIRING ILLEGALS!

$125 per hour! GEESH!! With false anecdotal info like this about illegals, no wonder people are jealous of them!

Calm down and save your outrage. Then...

Reread the post you quoted.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I call BS on any cleaning lady making $125 per hour!! $25 usually goes to an agency. The staff makes like 10-15. SOOOO....... if hiring illegal cleaning ladies, the *most* I would think it would be worth for the Ahole hiring an illegal is 15-20 per hour.

Regardless, the REAL PROBLEM is people HIRING ILLEGALS!

$125 per hour! GEESH!! With false anecdotal info like this about illegals, no wonder people are jealous of them!
$125 per house was the claim.

Simply Hired has a Molly Maid cleaner at $26K per year. The majority of the job descriptions on Indeed have the cleaners at M-F 9 hours per day. Let's do a 2 week vacation.

50 weeks X 45 hours per week. 2,250 hours worked for $26K. That's $11.56 per hour. Sounds pretty damn logical to me.

So to make "$125 per house" a Molly Maid worker would need to be in the house for just over 11 hours.

Yeah, I'm sticking to my guns on this one.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
$125 per house was the claim.

Simply Hired has a Molly Maid cleaner at $26K per year. The majority of the job descriptions on Indeed have the cleaners at M-F 9 hours per day. Let's do a 2 week vacation.

50 weeks X 45 hours per week. 2,250 hours worked for $26K. That's $11.56 per hour. Sounds pretty damn logical to me.

So to make "$125 per house" a Molly Maid worker would need to be in the house for just over 11 hours.

Yeah, I'm sticking to my guns on this one.
That poster stated the rate for their area. When I had a housecleaner 22 years ago I used to pay $50. for 3 hours. She was able to clean my entire house in those 3 hours. If I used a housecleaner now I would expect to pay close to $100. for the same service. I would not hire a service like Molly Maid as they will not do as good of a job as an owner/operator.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
That poster stated the rate for their area. When I had a housecleaner 22 years ago I used to pay $50. for 3 hours. She was able to clean my entire house in those 3 hours. If I used a housecleaner now I would expect to pay close to $100. for the same service.
Interesting.

Is this under the table or thru a legit service?

Old 01-03-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Interesting.

Is this under the table or thru a legit service?
Well, Inspector Clouseau, I paid by check. She wasn't the cheapest but she was worth every penny.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Well, Inspector Clouseau, I paid by check. She wasn't the cheapest but she was worth every penny.
And on this note I wave the white flag in this thread.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This is not surprising as our economic system is set up to protect and reward the successful. It does not care for anyone that cannot afford to play the game. Hell, most of the people working for WalMart cannot afford to shop there let alone pay rent, own a clunker car to get to work or even feed themselves. We have armies of homeless people including families with kids. Some of those have working adults.

By contrast we have a billionaire running for President. This guy has bankrupted several times yet managed to keep his personal fortune while stiffing his investors. That is because the system protects him while robbing the rest of us. When a working class person gores bankrupt they loose everything to their creditors. Why not The Donald?

One example of this corrupt system is people on welfare cannot have bank accounts let alone savings. These people are excluded from the economy and never have a chance to rejoin because their saving anything would be illegal. We punish our poor and worship our thieves.

Our economy is not bankrupt but our morality certainly is. More people are outraged about a woman showing a nipple in public than care about giving the poor a chance.

1] Did Trump himself file bankruptcy or did his company(ies)? There is a difference; one's holdings and/or personal belongings aren't property of the corporation. If Trump did anything illegal he would have been hounded for it.

2] This is humorous when considering most in this country have consciously seen more nipples than they have poor people.
Those in poor countries see both.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:07 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Hey, I'm not the statist in this conversation. You are.
Me? A statist? Hardly.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:15 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Interesting point of view. Say you have done your due diligence, and by working a couple of minimum wage jobs you have saved $30,000 for a rainy day. You are debt free and save a little every month.

One day coming home from work, you suffer a brain aneurysm. You've got insurance but like many policies out there, it only covers a fraction of the medical bills. Total costs are $200,000 and the remainder owed by you is $50,000. Ongoing costs? $5000 a month for your care in a nursing home.

Similar scenarios play out every day - for thousands of Americans. Explain how this is due to poor personal choices or "living beyond your means"?

^^^Wouldn't it fall under the headings of "Catastrophic" or "Extenuating Circumstances"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies