Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:04 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Get rid of welfare and govt insurance schemes and people can go back to doing whatever they want to themselves, minus the moral hazard of making their neighbor pay for it.
Exactly. I stay fit and am healthy. But money is taken from me to pay for health care for those who aren't as responsible with their own health. That isn't morally defensible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 07:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How can you even think about eating over processed macaroni and cheese out of a box?
Why *must* you buy 4 cases of pop? You are not allowed to drink anything else?
Burger King/McDonald's/TGIF/Olive Garden/Little Caesars, all fast food crap.
Your choice to stay out of buffet or limit the amount of food you eat while at a buffet.
The foods in your home would kill me in less than a month.

I shared an observation that cheap food is a major contributer to the US people being the fattest people on Earth. Lack of self control/ responsibility is the other.

What makes you think I eat over processed mac and cheese out of a box or take advantage of the cheap food offers I listed?

Given we are the fattest people on Earth and have the highest healthcare expenditures, should come as no surprise.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Hey, Mexico took that title from us years ago.

We can all laugh at fat Mexicans now.
32% of adults in Mexico are obese, compared to 36.5% of US adults.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:48 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I shared an observation that cheap food is a major contributer to the US people being the fattest people on Earth. Lack of self control/ responsibility is the other.

What makes you think I eat over processed mac and cheese out of a box or take advantage of the cheap food offers I listed?

Given we are the fattest people on Earth and have the highest healthcare expenditures, should come as no surprise.
We have cheap food, but that should be a good thing. The problem is the types of food we eat. Not enough people cook their own meals, instead opting for fast-food or convenience meals that are full of the stuff we should not be eating. And sugar is added to everything, which correlates nicely with the rise in obesity and diabetes.

I agree that we do have problems with self control. Food, especially bad food, is everywhere. Its too easy to buy a candy bar from a vending machine or chips from a convenience store. In addition, portion sizes have continued to swell, leading to more problems.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
We have cheap food, but that should be a good thing. The problem is the types of food we eat. Not enough people cook their own meals, instead opting for fast-food or convenience meals that are full of the stuff we should not be eating. And sugar is added to everything, which correlates nicely with the rise in obesity and diabetes.

I agree that we do have problems with self control. Food, especially bad food, is everywhere. Its too easy to buy a candy bar from a vending machine or chips from a convenience store. In addition, portion sizes have continued to swell, leading to more problems.
You know what's interesting is how freaked out people get over the use of butter and other fats. A teaspoon of butter or olive oil used to cook a two-egg omelet is not the problem, and a little bit of fat for breakfast might just keep you from inhaling a 600-calorie frozen cappuccino at 10 am, a 1200-calorie burrito for lunch, and a 400-calorie candy bar as an afternoon snack.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:05 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
People will do what they can get away with, just like a parent child relationship. Do you blame the child for eating ice cream for breakfast? No, you rightly blame the adult.

If the govt is enabling people to birth children they can't provide for in single parent homes govt is the problem for enabling them. Stop the gravy train and those births stop over night

Old 01-12-2016, 08:07 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I hate it how progressives and liberals often tell us that people are just all completely dumb and that the state needs to take care of them. But lately I have been wondering if perhaps there is a little (a little) bit of truth to this.
So, is this a big problem in Iceland?

If so, why are you posting here on a US forum?

Old 01-12-2016, 08:25 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:

I agree about cooking more, but IMO cheap food is not a good thing. I believe it's actually a terrible thing. Throughout history, food and shelter have been a human's highest expense. That causes people to appreciate the food they eat, and eat less of it. Meat and junk food should never be cheap. Expecting food to be cheap is the cause of much animal suffering and the over abundance of poor quality food.

Human beings are designed to eat when they can because throughout history they never knew when they would have enough food. "Self control" when it comes to food is against our nature. It's always going to be difficult to control food intake when there is an over abundance. It's easy to be self righteous, but in reality it's easier for some people to stay thin, others care, but deeply struggle.

Also, the whole idea of everyone can eat the same amount of calories, and do the same amount of exercise and stay the same weight is false. It has been shown that metabolism is largely genetic. Some people have to work much harder to maintain a healthy weight. Studies have shown that there are thin people who will not gain much weight no matter how much they are over fed, and some can eat small amounts and struggle to keep the pounds off. It's important to remember this before making judgments. Everyone can achieve a healthy weight but for some it's a constant exhausting struggle.

I'm fortunate to be able to eat quite a lot and still be thin, but I don't kid myself that this is true for everyone. Judgement is easy, exercising some compassion is more difficult. I do expect people to make every effort to be healthy but my first response is not to attack.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:37 AM

33 posts, read 20,536 times
Quote:

Spot on. I moved here 4 years ago and there are no Whole (Paycheck ) Foods or Trader Joes, or anything of the sort nearby, yet there are tons of strip malls with groceries where most of their isles consist of the "comfort" conveniece foods. The majority here is overweight, so it's a case of supply-demand. You're a freak if you're not overweight.
You're screwed if you want healthier choices, so must move to another county! Every grocery we walk into has a setup where you have to walk through huge snack displays first. My stepmom insists that a restaurant is "good" only if you get a ton of greasy, high-carb food for your money, so we don't eat out together, ever. All the ills of these diets result in the local pharmacies' lines being busier than Starbucks. No joke. I go past on the way to other errands and the pharmacy IS busier no matter the time of day, can tell looking at the drive thu's. It's NUTS!! The Pharmacy's lines rival those at Mickey D's at lunchtime! I'm going to film it with the Ipad one of these days & post it somewhere. Bottom line, if it's quick easy, cheap and satisfying, it rules.
Healthy is considered "exotic" no joke and that's why the prices for such items reflect that, a la "Whole Paycheck" stores.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:32 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. I stay fit and am healthy. But money is taken from me to pay for health care for those who aren't as responsible with their own health. That isn't morally defensible.
Women use significantly more health care services than men sans hospitalization. The added costs are shared across gender lines via premiums according to the crony capitalist society you believe in.

When can I expect you to commit suicide to stop "stealing" from me? Don't be a deadbeat on me now Informed Consent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies