Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:34 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,118,313 times

Advertisements

There's a long thread here on C-D that talks about how persecuted Christians are in this country. How about when it's the Christians doing the persecuting?

In a public school in Georgia, a kindergarten and first grade teacher pushed their religious beliefs on the students, leading prayer sessions every day in class. When several parents complained, these teachers then proceeded to ostracize their children, separating them from the class, and even telling one child that he shouldn't listen to his mother because she was “a bad person for not believing in God.”

A civil rights group complained to the school district last year, but the teachers continued unabated until the FFRF filed a lawsuit. The civil rights group won in court and the school district was forced to tell the teachers to stop.

Georgia school pays up after teacher tells first-grader his mom is ‘bad’ because she doesn’t believe in God

Persecuting five and six year olds for the beliefs of their parents. How very Christian.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,394,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
There's a long thread here on C-D that talks about how persecuted Christians are in this country. How about when it's the Christians doing the persecuting?

In a public school in Georgia, a kindergarten and first grade teacher pushed their religious beliefs on the students, leading prayer sessions every day in class. When several parents complained, these teachers then proceeded to ostracize their children, separating them from the class, and even telling one child that he shouldn't listen to his mother because she was “a bad person for not believing in God.”

A civil rights group complained to the school district last year, but the teachers continued unabated until the FFRF filed a lawsuit. The civil rights group won in court and the school district was forced to tell the teachers to stop.

Georgia school pays up after teacher tells first-grader his mom is ‘bad’ because she doesn’t believe in God

Persecuting five and six year olds for the beliefs of their parents. How very Christian.
I know lots of Christians and I'd bet my next paycheck that they'd be disgusted by those teachers' behavior. They're also vehemently against prayer in schools.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:53 AM

27,745 posts, read 16,258,182 times
Meanwhile in Tennessee, children are learning about allah and the pillars of islam https://creepingsharia.wordpress.com...public-school/ I wonder if the said civil rights group is on this http://dailycaller.com/2015/09/30/te...take-too-long/
Quote:
Tennessee school districts are refusing to comply with an open records request
from a conservative legal nonprofit seeking materials and documents relevant to
the way public schools are teaching Islam — primarily to middle schoolers

Old 10-07-2015, 09:55 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,962,139 times
Aww I was going to guess KY or TN. Oh well GA is close enough. Teacher should have been fired not just told to stop.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Meanwhile in Tennessee, children are learning about allah and the pillars of islam https://creepingsharia.wordpress.com...public-school/ I wonder if the said civil rights group is on this case also..
Yes, because learning about other religions is exactly the same thing as brow-beating small children for the beliefs of their parents.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:58 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,105,300 times
About 50 years ago I had public school teacher tell me point blank in front of the classroom that I was going to hell for not being Christian. (I was raised Unitarian )

Sad to see kids are still being put through this.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:58 AM

27,745 posts, read 16,258,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yes, because learning about other religions is exactly the same thing as brow-beating small children for the beliefs of their parents.
indoctrination nonetheless

Old 10-07-2015, 10:02 AM

4,491 posts, read 5,006,761 times
Well,
We asked our 6th grader to bring home this worksheets about comparing the 3 religions.
It was a lesson in social studies about diversity. Although we didn't agree with some wording...our kid knows the difference between what the school wants these kids to put down on paper, and what is reality.
I don't think they should be graded for having to fill in the blanks with the schools wording.
This is a cobb county school district in Georgia.
It's a touchy subject, to say the least. I suspect if the teachers want to keep their job they must teach this. (KimDavis)
Nothing wrong with exposing children to other cultures and religion. She can be exposed to this, no problem. Taking the schools interpretation and applying to real life...a problem..much like that common core math crap!!

Old 10-07-2015, 10:06 AM

13,722 posts, read 9,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I know lots of Christians and I'd bet my next paycheck that they'd be disgusted by those teachers' behavior. They're also vehemently against prayer in schools.

I agree.

The article brought up, in my memory, the reason I became against prayer in public schools back when I was a teenage or so. Briefly, in the mid 1960s I attended a private school, which (while not a religious-affiliated school) allowed the teachers to lead off the first class of the day with a prayer.

My homeroom teacher, being a Christian, had a rule that two friends of mine in the same class, both Jewish, must go stand outside the classroom while the rest of us prayed to God. Even to my young mind (I guess I was 9 or 10) I thought it 'wrong'. When, a few years late, the issue of prayer in public schools arose, I was immediately ready to join the ranks of 'no organized prayer in public schools', recalling the daily humiliation my friends had to go through.

The interceding 50 years or so has not changed my mind. I realize that the private school I went to probably still has prayer, which is their right, but I am utterly opposed to what these teachers were doing in a public school.

I will add: I of course have no problem with a student saying a silent prayer at his or her desk to start their day. I used to have school lunch with a group of friends of whom one would bow his head in prayer before eating; while I did not join in, I would usually stay silent (during the prayer) out of respect for my friend (it helped that it was a short, silent, prayer, of no more than 10 seconds, if that, followed by the sign of the Cross).

The school district should take the cost of this settlement out of the teacher's paychecks.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
indoctrination nonetheless
Yes, I could see how a right winger would consider education that isn't based in Christian dogma to be indoctrination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies