Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 05:27 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,990,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
How can common people find these statistics??

BLS has them but i don't think they would release at all.

I'd like to get my hands on that data

How many millennials are not working, that would be great insight.

We know a lot of boomers are not retiring so this should put pressure on millennials.
How? cachibatches made the below assertion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches
Except that this is all a lie and we have covered it in any number of threads. A good deal of the decline in workforce participation comes from chronically unemployed millenials who have given up seeking work. It is not a secret and you could find a half a dozen news articles on it yourself with a five second google search. Your probelm is that you have some kind of silly "fact graph" from MSNBC or something.

Try going to Realclearpolitcs and Realcelarmarkets every day and reading a variety of articles from around the world and see how quickly your lefty worldview collapses.
cachibatches says the information is easily available. If so, it shouldn't be hard to find. I actually think that the assertion is pulled from thin air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 08:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,805,036 times
Quote:
Donald blasts "phony" unemployment figures!!

Why Trump Thinks Unemployment Is 42% | Zero Hedge

He's going to be the greatest jobs president god ever created

Go Donald!!!
Have y'all ever considered that unemployment figures are accurate, they just aren't measuring what you think they're measuring?

Old 02-15-2016, 09:11 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,990,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Have y'all ever considered that unemployment figures are accurate, they just aren't measuring what you think they're measuring?
NO! Impossible! Inconvenient numbers, absent any real evidence that they are contrived, must be contrived.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:45 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,821,555 times
So? He says that unemployment is higher? What does that mean to me? What is he going to do about it? Sure maybe he's going to stop illegal immigration which might help but that isn't going to solve the problem completely. He's shown himself to be an "ist" of all kinds: racist sexist and ablest. Why bother acknowledging it when I know he is not for a person like me since I am a woman with a glitched brain?

I don't know why people follow him. They either support him or they obsessively pay attention to him because they hate him. He's just some ignorant buffoon..not worth the attention that he gets.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:59 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
How can common people find these statistics??

BLS has them but i don't think they would release at all.

I'd like to get my hands on that data

How many millennials are not working, that would be great insight.

We know a lot of boomers are not retiring so this should put pressure on millennials.
Laziness on your part does not constitute a conspiracy to hide the data on the part of BLS.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:22 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,573,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Laziness on your part does not constitute a conspiracy to hide the data on the part of BLS.
So what's the number??

I'm not an expert on databases.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 AM

46,382 posts, read 27,249,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
U-6 has dropped remarkably too. It was 17% and now is 9.9%.

U-6 graph
Not denying that....but which is more accurate, the U3 or the U6?

Old 02-15-2016, 11:29 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,859,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Not denying that....but which is more accurate, the U3 or the U6?
They both have the same accuracy and they are both showing a multiple year improvement in the number of unemployed.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:33 AM

46,382 posts, read 27,249,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
They both have the same accuracy.
To a point....what would you rather believe the U3 or U6, just because someone has stopped looking for work they should not be counted as unemployed?

Old 02-15-2016, 12:02 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,859,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
To a point....what would you rather believe the U3 or U6, just because someone has stopped looking for work they should not be counted as unemployed?
I have no problem balancing the 2 indicators. If they were diverging in their trend lines then I think it would require a closer look. However, they are both indicating an improving employment situation.

Since 1994 the BLS has tracked those who are not looking but want a job. It it high of just over 7 million in 2012. Since then the number has also been trending downwards its now under 6 million. The best it was ever recorded was in the low 4 million range.

I have no problem with even the U6 number not including people who are not looking.

I suppose the BLS could add another number, say the U7, which includes people who are not looking but what a job. Doing so would add increase the rate by roughly 3.6%. However the trend line for this new number would still show an improving situation.

What I find disingenuous are those who wish to compare a prior U3 rate with some new number of their own calculation (U6+). Which is what Stockman did with his calculation arriving at 40%+ unemployment. Anyone claiming UE is 20%+ is adding in individuals who previously would have never been included in the UE calculation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies