Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 11:19 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,999,386 times

Advertisements

A former U.S. Marine said Friday he was fired from his contract job with Time Warner Cable in Charlotte after he lowered the American flag to half-staff on Memorial Day.

Allen Thornwell, 29, was thinking about his best friend, a former Marine who he said killed himself two years ago when he returned to the U.S., the Charlotte Observer reported.

The paper reported that Thornwell was fired Tuesday. The service that arranged the job for Thornwell said Time Warner told them they were disturbed by what was termed as “passion for the flag and (his) political affiliation.”

Thornwell said he remains in shock over his firing. Murphy Archibald, Thornwell’s attorney, said his client should have never lost his job.

“It’s disgraceful,” Archibald, who is a Vietnam vet, told the Observer. “He didn’t do anything wrong. He’s a veteran working on Memorial Day who corrected what he thought was a disrespectful flying of the American flag ... I would have taken it down myself.”

Thornwell, who was discharged in 2014, knew the U.S. Flag Code policy which states that the banner should be half-staff until noon on Memorial Day. Thornwell said the incident happened at around 2:30 p.m. He said he wishes now he had permission.

“I didn’t think of it as the property of Time Warner Cable,” he said. “It’s everybody’s flag.”

A Time Warner spokesman confirmed to the Charlotte Observer Friday that the former Marine “was no longer under contract” with the company but declined to provide further comment.

Former Marine fired from job for lowering flag on Memorial Day | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 11:23 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,230,351 times
While I think one could argue that technically it was 2:30 which is two and a half hours after the flag is required to be at half mast, I also think a better argument is that it's absurd to lose a job over this. Even if we could say what he did was a mistake, which frankly I'm not so sure I could be convinced that it was, it was a mistake that could be corrected pretty much immediately and under no reasonably circumstance would justify firing him.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:36 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,398,248 times
Private employer and employee issue.

Not even a controversy.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:57 AM

1,548 posts, read 915,093 times
I sort of feel for the guy but the whole meaning of lowering the flag to half mast has been watered down by displays such as this.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:04 PM

37,960 posts, read 17,902,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
The paper reported that Thornwell was fired Tuesday. The service that arranged the job for Thornwell said Time Warner told them they were disturbed by what was termed as “passion for the flag and (his) political affiliation.”
????

Old 06-05-2016, 07:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Employers can do anything they want, right?

Old 06-05-2016, 07:21 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,448,220 times
Quote:
“I didn’t think of it as the property of Time Warner Cable,” he said. “It’s everybody’s flag.”
As a general principle, I would agree that a national flag, in a sense, belongs to the people of that nation.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:34 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,484,504 times
A contract tech employee and managing the flagpole wasn't part of his job.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...e81658827.html (inlcudes video)

Whether Time Warner Cable was improperly displaying the flag during the country’s annual tribute to its dead veterans is a matter of debate. The U.S. Flag Code, which offers guidance on how to fly the flag during holidays, says the banner should be at half-staff until noon on Memorial Day then returned to its normal position. Thornwell said the incident took place around 2:30 p.m.

Thornwell, who was discharged in 2014, said he was aware of the holiday protocol but was moved to lower the flag anyway. He wishes now that he had asked permission.

“I didn’t think of it as the property of Time Warner Cable,” he says. “It’s everybody’s flag.”

On Monday, he arrived at the company’s service center off Arrowood Road having left his security badge at home. A boss sent him to pick up a replacement. Waiting outside the security office, he noticed the nearby flag at full-staff. Without a word to anyone, Thornwell says he marched, Marine-style, to the pole, lowered the flag to a midway point, came to full attention, then about-faced and walked away. He didn’t salute. He says Marines don’t salute when out of uniform.

Inside the security building, Thornwell said he was told by one of the guards that “It’s company policy that no one touches the flagpole.”

By the time Thornwell left – and only a few minutes after he had lowered it – the flag was back at full-staff.

Thornwell said he reacted angrily at what he took as a sign of disrespect to him and other vets. He can be heard cursing twice in a short video he shot at the scene with his phone. He said he wanted to send a message to military personnel around the world that “this is what the people back home think about us.”

Old 06-06-2016, 02:46 PM

39,262 posts, read 27,661,377 times
well, employers can do whatever they want to do. His business, his deal.

But damn, this employer is such a drama queen. Marine should find another job, this job will make him miserable anyway.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:16 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,587,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Private employer and employee issue.

Not even a controversy.
Unless you replace flags with cakes and Time Warner with small cake shop in some random state...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies