Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:36 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,414 times

Advertisements

Article I the US Constitution sets forth the powers and responsibilities of Congress including, of course, the Senate. When Mitch McConnel became majority leader of the Senate afterthe 2010 electio, he made the now famous statement that his number one priority was making sure that Barack Obama was a one term president. I don't find any provision in Article I (or elsewhere for that matter) of the Constitution even the suggestion that one of the responsibilities of the Senate, much less its number one priority, is trying to unseat the President, who is a Constitutionally defined part of the U.S. Government. From the acts of the Senate with filibusters, secret hold, etc in hugely record numbers, they clearly are not trying to govern, but rather to accomplish the overthrow of the duly elected Artcle II officer.

Frankly, Mr. McConnell should be impeached for his (in)action in facilitating, and actual obstruction of, the Constitutionally delegated responsibilities of the Senate, in and pursuing his other agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 10:38 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times
I don't think that will work, but isn't there a rule against looking too much like a turtle?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:45 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
What a stupid, baseless accusation. There's nothing in the Constitution that says the Congress has to act along with the President, nor are members of Congress's speech restricted

How about impeaching everyone in Congress that voted for the Patriot Act after 9/11 and everyone that voted for its renewal? I think that would be far more productive.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,431 times
Being that statement was made against the most far left big government radical President since Castro in Cuba I have no problem with it.
If you had Castro come to power in the USA you would want him out as soon as possible and for his agendas to all fail.
It is pretty much the same exact thing here.
We should all want the President's agenda to fail, because it isn't pro-America, pro growth, pro jobs or pro much of anything but government unions and the welfare state.
The President can say he wants jobs, pie in the sky and a better economy, but actions speak louder than words and his actions are like a Castro. So who wants to see a Castro get a second term in the USA? Makes PERFECT sense to me.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,551,319 times
How is it Mitch McConnell's problem if Democrats in the Senate won't pass Barack Obama's crap?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:49 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
Article I the US Constitution sets forth the powers and responsibilities of Congress including, of course, the Senate. When Mitch McConnel became majority leader of the Senate afterthe 2010 electio, he made the now famous statement that his number one priority was making sure that Barack Obama was a one term president. I don't find any provision in Article I (or elsewhere for that matter) of the Constitution even the suggestion that one of the responsibilities of the Senate, much less its number one priority, is trying to unseat the President, who is a Constitutionally defined part of the U.S. Government. From the acts of the Senate with filibusters, secret hold, etc in hugely record numbers, they clearly are not trying to govern, but rather to accomplish the overthrow of the duly elected Artcle II officer.

Frankly, Mr. McConnell should be impeached for his (in)action in facilitating, and actual obstruction of, the Constitutionally delegated responsibilities of the Senate, in and pursuing his other agenda.
OMG - THREAD EPICALLY FAILS.

Dear, Sen McConnell is NOT the majority leader.

Another thing, you DO know that the Executive and Legislative are CO-EQUAL branches? That means the Congress is under NO obligation to do the bidding of the president, especially if they disagree with his policies.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 PM

Location: The bustling, world-renowned downtown of Pataskala, OH
188 posts, read 197,860 times
The Constitution is basically a daily rape victim now. If we were to follow that silly, silly document the way we are suppose to, it would be total madness. But seriously, of all the egregious trampling on the Constitution, that's what you come up with?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
When Mitch McConnel became majority leader of the Senate after the 2010 election
Wow.

Really?

Wow.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
OMG - THREAD EPICALLY FAILS.

Dear, Sen McConnell is NOT the majority leader.

Another thing, you DO know that the Executive and Legislative are CO-EQUAL branches? That means the Congress is under NO obligation to do the bidding of the president, especially if they disagree with his policies.

You're right!!!!!!! My bad. However, the point is the same. In fact, it's even more supportive of my point-as minority leader he is using the filibuster, secret hold, etc to thwart the will of the majority, not for the constitutional purpose of governing, but for the ability to block the majority for a purely political goal rather than a governmental one.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,260 times
Shows just how out of touch libs are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies