Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 10:26 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

The following articles are well worth the read....
that is the trouble any more, people don't want to read....

How Eisenhower solved illegal border crossings from Mexico - CSMonitor.com

How President Eisenhower Sent 3 Million Illegals Packing | The Federalist Papers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 10:43 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
From first link:

Quote:
... In 1951, Ike wrote a letter to Sen. William Fulbright (D) of Arkansas. The senator had just proposed that a special commission be created by Congress to examine unethical conduct by government officials who accepted gifts and favors in exchange for special treatment of private individuals...

..."The rise in illegal border-crossing by Mexican...to a current rate of more than 1,000,000 cases a year has been accompanied by a curious relaxation in ethical standards extending all the way from the farmer-exploiters of this contraband labor to the highest levels of the Federal Government."
So nothing has changed.

Quote:
Bill Chambers, who worked for a combined 33 years for the Border Patrol and the then-called US Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), says politically powerful people are still fueling the flow of illegals.
I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you. /sarc

From second link:

Quote:
‘Ike’ took quick and decisive action. He used 1,075 Border Patrol Agents to seal the border. In doing so, he achieved a task our government today deems impossible with a force that is 10% larger. Once the border was sealed, Eisenhower went about the process of removing the millions of illegal aliens.,,

..Within one month 50,000 illegals had been captured and deported, while nearly half a million more fled the country to avoid arrest. By September 80,000 more illegals had been removed from the state of Texas alone, and between 500,000-700,000 more had fled the country...

..Using less man power and resources than the federal government has today, Eisenhower was able to seal the border and send nearly 3 million illegal aliens home. The policy had the added effectiveness of deterring future illegal crossings...
But...but...but that's "unpossible"!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:48 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
From first link:

So nothing has changed.

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you. /sarc

From second link:

But...but...but that's "unpossible"!
That was before Democrats figured illegals could be used to pander to hispanic voters today and they would be voters themselves later.

Last edited by whogo; 02-28-2016 at 11:28 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 10:50 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
The Handbook Online reports that a study by the President's Commission on Migratory Labor in Texas in 1950 found that cotton growers in the Rio Grande Valley, where most illegal aliens in Texas worked, paid wages that were "approximately half" the farm wages paid elsewhere in the state.

Walt Edwards, who joined the Border Patrol in 1951, tells a similar story. He says: "When we caught illegal aliens on farms and ranches, the farmer or rancher would often call and complain [to officials in El Paso]. And depending on how politically connected they were, there would be political intervention. That is how we got into this mess we are in now."

Guess nothing has changed.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The Handbook Online reports that a study by the President's Commission on Migratory Labor in Texas in 1950 found that cotton growers in the Rio Grande Valley, where most illegal aliens in Texas worked, paid wages that were "approximately half" the farm wages paid elsewhere in the state.

Walt Edwards, who joined the Border Patrol in 1951, tells a similar story. He says: "When we caught illegal aliens on farms and ranches, the farmer or rancher would often call and complain [to officials in El Paso]. And depending on how politically connected they were, there would be political intervention. That is how we got into this mess we are in now."

Guess nothing has changed.
I'm wondering if anything will change?

Old 02-28-2016, 10:57 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
This information should be getting out in the debates and town hall meetings. Although a lot has changed, and they didn't have the danger of the brutal drug cartels which are a danger for the BP, it definitely COULD be done .It seems we would need a lot more than 1,075 Border Patrol.
As many of us have posted before -- by taking away all the magnets, and charge a tax on remissions, many would just self deport.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm wondering if anything will change?
Perhaps not, unless we find a leader who can enforce the law.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Perhaps not, unless we find a leader who can enforce the law.
Agree!

yanno what else annoys me....the fact that people actually need leaders? I mean I know we need Political leaders in Washington, but why in God's name are people afraid to speak out for themselves....to write their congress and senate...
I've done it, and I'm problem on the FBI's most wanted list by now....

However, I see people leaving Trump comments that are so stupid...like
Your our savior...
Your going to fix this mess
Make America great again...
blah, blah, blah...

So they go in to the voting booth and feel their job is done...and they refuse to believe that both side are corrupt....

Not only Washington, our laws, most of our leaders....etc...it's all about votes....

I mean to tell you, ethics and morals are not an issue any longer.

Thank you always for your opinions...

Old 02-28-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Agree!

yanno what else annoys me....the fact that people actually need leaders? I mean I know we need Political leaders in Washington, but why in God's name are people afraid to speak out for themselves....to write their congress and senate...
I've done it, and I'm problem on the FBI's most wanted list by now....

However, I see people leaving Trump comments that are so stupid...like
Your our savior...
Your going to fix this mess
Make America great again...
blah, blah, blah...

So they go in to the voting booth and feel their job is done...and they refuse to believe that both side are corrupt....

Not only Washington, our laws, most of our leaders....etc...it's all about votes....

I mean to tell you, ethics and morals are not an issue any longer.

Thank you always for your opinions...
agreed agreed and you are very welcome

Old 02-28-2016, 02:05 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
All it takes is a President willing to have existing immigration law vigorously enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies