Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2016, 08:39 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
College is something required to participate in the 21st century economy. Tax increases on the 1% should pay for it.

But I'm sure old conservatives on this board complain that taxes pay for K-12 education, the only education required of them to thrive in the past.

So does it ever enter into your head that if you "need" something, that it falls upon you to pay for it rather than look to someone else to foot the bill for what may lead to your success? By the time you're entering college, you're an adult and should not be looking to others (other than perhaps your parents, and certainly not society as a whole) to assist with your life's course.

If you believe that I have a money tree to fund your dreams, then surely your parents have one as well. Or you can just grow one of your own - problem solved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 08:43 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
And who is going to pay for it exactly?

It's so rich when the greatest generation who had free college from the GI Bill and boomers who had to pay tuitions under a thousand dollars a year at public universities start wagging their fingers at those entitled millennials who want a hand out. GMAB!

Old 03-13-2016, 09:07 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
It's so rich when the greatest generation who had free college from the GI Bill and boomers who had to pay tuitions under a thousand dollars a year at public universities start wagging their fingers at those entitled millennials who want a hand out. GMAB!
Wages back then were proportionally in line with tuition costs at the time. You still have the option of enlisting (and accepting all that comes with that, including going overseas to fight if called upon) to pay for your education. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:04 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
We spend billions of dollars per year policing the rest of the world, but we cannot provide college funding for people back at home?

There are pell grants available, but they are only available for people in financial need. Grades don't matter.

I'd much rather my tax money fund college education than bombing Afghanistan.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:47 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
It is far more important to our elites to protect their overseas investments and profitable defense industries than to waste money on the lesser people that might benefit from an education. Another factor is an educated population threatens both class privilege and religious indoctrination.

I would offer tuition, meals (dorm anyway) and books to anyone that can maintain a C average through graduate school. They would pay the money back with a permanent surcharge on their income tax based on a percentage of their taxable income. Eventually, if the tax rates were properly set, would result in a self financing system that would eliminate the need for any private financing for college students.

PS - There would be strict controls on college spending on luxuries like sports teams and similar.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:55 PM

964 posts, read 994,711 times
Quote:
I'm not aware that millennials think they deserve free college. I think they want affordable college, like their grandparents had. It's not an unreasonable wish.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:42 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
You want a free college, go to your local library. You'll learn a lot more at a trip to the library than at a college. Kindle is available from your phone, having collections to a variety of books in your pocket.

The internet is also a great way to learn things. It's a lot cheaper than paying for tuition and room and board.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:54 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
I am not for "free" education. Even if I were we would have to do something about the de-capitalization of people who already invested in theirs. However I am not too excited about stupid questions that can be dis-proven with the suggestion that babies need to pay hard cash for a nipple. If this apporach was inspired by your education, I'd ask for a refund.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:58 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It is far more important to our elites to protect their overseas investments and profitable defense industries than to waste money on the lesser people that might benefit from an education. Another factor is an educated population threatens both class privilege and religious indoctrination.

I would offer tuition, meals (dorm anyway) and books to anyone that can maintain a C average through graduate school. They would pay the money back with a permanent surcharge on their income tax based on a percentage of their taxable income. Eventually, if the tax rates were properly set, would result in a self financing system that would eliminate the need for any private financing for college students.

PS - There would be strict controls on college spending on luxuries like sports teams and similar.
Any student who believes they will land a good job and make decent money would be better off with loans than your so called "free" college plan. The loan would be paid off in 20 years or far quicker if they're smart money managers. You want to indebt them for the lifetime of their earnings. And the more they earn, they more they'd pay causing anyone making decent money to pay repeatedly for their education. The dumb might take you up on this, but the smart would walk away laughing.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:48 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My number is just books, fees and tuition. The average extra income of a college degree is $850,000 over an individuals lifetime. Let's put the cost of the degree at $85,000. That is still a mere 10 per cent of that figure.

Or you could just skip college, take that 85 grand, invest wisely, and with a 6% return after 40 years (invest at 22, take out at 62) and have an extra $930k. You didn't have to sit in class one day!

"The strongest force in the world is compound interest." - Albert Einstein

Mahalo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies