Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 04:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Here is the other sides answer, load up on guns for the fear of the practically non-existent threat to school children.

It's call an issue predicated on irrational fear.
right,because gun free zones are working so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 04:02 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
- Mandatory background checks, safety classes, and IQ tests before being able to purchase a gun. Have licenses similar to a Driver's License.
- However, allow open-carry almost anywhere.
- Enforce severe penalties for careless gun handling and storage, like massive fines or mandatory hard labour.
- Mandatory and swift death penalty for anyone who shoots anyone other than for self-defense.
- However, permit lethal force for self-defense and disallow lawsuits by the wounded criminal. (Yes, that actually happens...)

Old 03-02-2016, 04:02 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringamac92 View Post
again I am just being devils advocate, but schools budget's are already tight. How do we pay for this? An armed security guard? Realistically it would have to be more than one. Should this be sponsored through some sort of PTA Fundraiser. Or should the police force be responsible for providing this security? Or through the district as employees?
"How do we pay for this?" Start my getting rid of some the school "administrators" at the local Dept of Education.

Get rid of some of the teacher "aides".

Get rid of some of the useless programs and subjects and get back to the 3 "R"'s.

If it "is for the kids", you can find the money in a bloated bureaucracy.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:09 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
How do you address the Gun Violence in this country? How do you prevent school shootings?
What is your REAL concern, premature deaths or guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
About 30,000 people die as a result of being shot per year, and half of that is by suicide. To give context, there are about 320,000,000 people in our country. Give me a number of what you would consider a practical amount of tolerable gun deaths. Please do not give me a liberal answer of zero, as that is just not possible. When would you consider gun violence under control (hint: The real answer is never, as its an issue that riles up the liberal base, but has no practical importance in the world we live in), liberals love to live in fear of the practically non-existence threat of dying by a gun. The war on guns is nothing more than a political rallying cry.
If premature deaths are your concerns what don't you go after the other causes of premature death that are HIGHER the guns?

Old 03-02-2016, 04:16 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
In Israel firearms licenses are typically only given if one can prove they have reason to carry a gun – for instance if they work in security or law enforcement or live in a dangerous area like the West Bank. They must also be over 21 years old, a resident of Israel for over three years, and pass a mental and physical exam, a shooting test and background checks by the Public Security Ministry. They are then allowed to order a gun through a gun store with approval of the ministry and given a one-time supply of 50 bullets to take home.

Israel eases gun laws in bid to cope with Palestinian "lone wolf" attacks - Arab-Israeli Conflict - Jerusalem Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Everyone good with that criteria?
Depends what we're talking about. This sounds like a fine vetting process for teachers and parents to be allowed to volunteer to be armed guard's in their kids' schools.

If you're talking about using a similar process in order to own a gun at all, I wouldn't be against some of it. I don't think such a law/laws would survive the Supreme Court's scrutiny for long though. And I don't think you've got the whole story as a 50 bullet supply would not be sufficient for regular shooting practice -- something you absolutely do want for gun owners. What you don't want is someone who hasn't shot or handled a gun in 20 years pulling one out. Now that's a disaster waiting to happen!

Looking at your article, those are the laws on the books now -- the ones that they're looking to loosen up because, “Citizens with firearms training are a multiplying force for the police in their fight against terrorism and therefore I will take measures to ease the restrictions at this time.”

Old 03-02-2016, 05:01 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Depends what we're talking about. This sounds like a fine vetting process for teachers and parents to be allowed to volunteer to be armed guard's in their kids' schools.

If you're talking about using a similar process in order to own a gun at all, I wouldn't be against some of it. I don't think such a law/laws would survive the Supreme Court's scrutiny for long though. And I don't think you've got the whole story as a 50 bullet supply would not be sufficient for regular shooting practice -- something you absolutely do want for gun owners. What you don't want is someone who hasn't shot or handled a gun in 20 years pulling one out. Now that's a disaster waiting to happen!

Looking at your article, those are the laws on the books now -- the ones that they're looking to loosen up because, “Citizens with firearms training are a multiplying force for the police in their fight against terrorism and therefore I will take measures to ease the restrictions at this time.”
I posted that info because some people seem to regard Israel as a model country for gun freedoms. Not really the case.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:30 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
We need to stop rewarding ghetto women from becoming baby making factories to increase their income....that would cut the murders in the US in half over time. Teach values in schools, include the 10 Commandments...this will greatly decrease these lone loser murderer freaks. Also we need to identify people that are mentally ill and offer treatments. Lastly yes, enforce reasonable gun control.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:49 PM

228 posts, read 112,350 times
Quote:
How do you address the Gun Violence in this country? How do you prevent school shootings?
Easy OP.

Criminal background checks

Thorough and in depth mental checks

Safety and responsibility training / classes

That is your first part. As for your 2nd part,

There is no way to prevent school shootings. You can't prevent someone from committing a crime. Hence why we still need police.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:16 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
1. promote Christian beliefs and respect for life

2. Stop incentives for unwed mothers to have more children

3. reinstitute faith based orphanages

4. reinstitute long term mental institutions for schizophrenics

5. stop "mainstreaming" in public schools and separate the mentally ill

6. ban violent video games

7. teach children about firearms and firearm safety; show them the destructive effects of guns

8. public hangings for those convicted of murder

9. allow concealed carry for those who qualify to all states and cities

10. Allow officials in public places to have access to firearms (teachers, shop owners, libraries, ect..)

Old 03-02-2016, 06:19 PM

228 posts, read 112,350 times
^^ all good points except #6 lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies