Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:09 AM

128 posts, read 93,940 times

Advertisements

Recently Ta Nehisi Coates published a piece in the Atlantic that got a lot of buzz going called The Case For Reparations.

The Case for Reparations by Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic

NPR followed up the release of that piece with a segment on Brian Lehrer's show where he asked listeners to call in and talk about what reparations would look like today, if you were to try to figure it out.

I spent that work week playing the game with my helper and we both concluded it's virtually impossible to get a handle on really any piece of the puzzle.

1. Are reparations owed?
2. Who are they owed to and how is that determination made?
3. What do reparations look like?
4. How do you implement it?

Every question is impossible to answer including the first one. They WERE owed, and were then never paid. Is that debt transferable?
Not a single easy answer in the whole thing.

Anybody wanna take a crack at it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 11:17 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
1. No.

2. No one.

3. 0+0=0

4. You don't. Show me a live slave from that time and he/she can have reparations.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:24 AM

160 posts, read 148,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
1. No.

2. No one.

3. 0+0=0

4. You don't. Show me a live slave from that time and he/she can have reparations.
This. No ifs ands or buts.

You get ahead by hard work, education, and perseverance. Not hand outs.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:40 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
Recently Ta Nehisi Coates published a piece in the Atlantic that got a lot of buzz going called The Case For Reparations.

NPR followed up the release of that piece with a segment on Brian Lehrer's show where he asked listeners to call in and talk about what reparations would look like today, if you were to try to figure it out.

I spent that work week playing the game with my helper and we both concluded it's virtually impossible to get a handle on really any piece of the puzzle.

1. Are reparations owed?

Every question is impossible to answer including the first one. They WERE owed, and were then never paid. Is that debt transferable?

Everyone that owes or is owed is dead or soon will be. The last thing that African Americans need at this point is a big pile of free money. They've already got a whole lot of that, and it's not helping them.

They need to create programs from within their own community to raise the whole black community up. Programs to fight against perpetual poverty, against gangs, against self-fulfilling prophecies where young blacks mimic media stereotypes. Programs that will really convince black youth that they can make something of themselves through their own hard work and perseverance. It is this kind of positive community effort that has led to Jews, Chinese, Japanese and others being very successful in this country even in the face of blatant bigotry.

Throwing apology money at them doesn't actually help them one bit.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Reparations have been paid tenfold. Time to turn off the welfare spigot.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:54 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
I certainly do not support reparations per se, but something needs to be done to end the cycle of wasting the abilities and potential of so mnay young black men.

I say "men" specifically, because there are coutnless programs in place to address the problems of women. It is generally accepted that the affirmative action programs instituted by President Bixon have overwhelmingly benefitted middle-class white women, poor white women, and African-American women -- in that order.

Unless they are star athletes, black men are pretty much forgotten, unless they get out of line and begin the spiral of academic failure, committing misdemeanors, unemployability, and increasingly serious brushes with the law, often resulting in lengthy incarceration.

America cannot continue to waste this human resource. Reparations? No. Serious attention to the education, employment, and carrer success and stability of black men? Hell, yes!

Old 03-04-2016, 11:58 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,301 times
Quote:

1. Are reparations owed?

Reparations have already been paid.

Affirmative Action
Welfare payments
EBT cards
Housing assistance
Black only scholarships and financial aid
etc... etc...

Trillions spent.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:58 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Quote:

Good luck with that. Just look at what's going on with Trump's campaign. People are sick and tired of all the whining from the SJW/BLM crowd.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
you want reparations for what? slavery? ok, find me someone who was alive when slavery was legal, and we can pay them, and them only. however i seriously doubt that you will find someone who is more than 150 years of age.

this comes up time and time again, and all it is, is a scam to get more money out of the taxpayers without working for it. the people demanding reparations are lazy SOBs who would rather take and take without giving back to society.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:18 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I certainly do not support reparations per se, but something needs to be done to end the cycle of wasting the abilities and potential of so mnay young black men.

I say "men" specifically, because there are coutnless programs in place to address the problems of women. It is generally accepted that the affirmative action programs instituted by President Bixon have overwhelmingly benefitted middle-class white women, poor white women, and African-American women -- in that order.

Unless they are star athletes, black men are pretty much forgotten, unless they get out of line and begin the spiral of academic failure, committing misdemeanors, unemployability, and increasingly serious brushes with the law, often resulting in lengthy incarceration.

America cannot continue to waste this human resource. Reparations? No. Serious attention to the education, employment, and carrer success and stability of black men? Hell, yes!

Additionally the whole welfare system is a failure.

Back when they were first starting it, it didn't take long before young poor AA girls figured out, that they could be free and out from under their parents if they simply got pregnant. Then Uncle Sam would foot the bill for them to have their own place. This also dismissed the "need" for the black father, which gave him an "easy out" to knock up girls and take no responsibility.

nothing has been more devastating to the black community than the dissolution of the family.
The statistics are so overwhelming when it comes to the fatherless who are incarcerated.

Last edited by chadgates; 03-04-2016 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies