Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 12:55 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,145,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's just it, though.
I find that true values/morals have nothing to do with political affiliation, religion, education, etc.
And most people's true ideology cannot be summed up by one party or the other.
Consider this issue that is very important to me:

-The natural environment (to include wildlife conservation, protection/prevention from severe weather events, pollution, environmental degredation). -- The Republican party still wants to undermine these things. They are so pro business, dismissive of science, of the EPA, and all their candidates vow to set any progress backward.

That I know some Republicans who also value the environment means F-all when they'll vote for Republican politicians to come in and speed up the destruction of the earth.

I could go down the rest of my list of values and find Republican leadership at odds with most of it. A long-term relationship with a confirmed, voting Republican would be a life of arguments and disgust for me.

Still can't fathom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 01:12 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
That I know some Republicans who also value the environment means F-all when they'll vote for Republican politicians to come in and speed up the destruction of the earth.

I could go down the rest of my list of values and find Republican leadership at odds with most of it. A long-term relationship with a confirmed, voting Republican would be a life of arguments and disgust for me.

Still can't fathom?
That's just it, though. There are republican environmentalist, republican gay marriage advocates, republican pro-choice people, etc, etc. TONS of them. I personally am a HUGE tree hugger. And not just in name, but in action.

What we're supposed to be voting for is the person who can enact the most overall good for the country as a whole (although at this point in time, I have no freakin' clue who that is), not picking and choosing special interests out of a giant pile of different situations.
I don't respect someone who votes democrat JUST BECAUSE (or mostly bc) of gay marriage any more than I respect someone who votes republican JUST BECAUSE of abortion. That's juvenile, short-sighted, and silly.

So you might easily get along with a republican and probably don't know it. I dated 3 democrats when I was a staunch republican and our political differences were never an issue.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:16 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
In an effort to be more dateable and appear less nutty - most Republicans lie about being Republicans.

While just 18 percent of Democrats said they’ve hidden their party affiliation on a date, 57 percent of Republicans replied they would, or have, lied about their political leanings.

“It’s one thing to privately show one’s support when voting,” the site’s founder and CEO, Brandon Wade, said in a news release, “but when it comes down to impressing a date, Republican singles aren’t standing with their party.”

A whopping 82 percent of Democrats — compared to only 43 percent of Republicans — said they wouldn’t dream of keeping their political viewpoints hush-hush while on a date.

Dating site survey: Most Republicans lie about party
That's because Earth Day Girls are Easy.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:28 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,723,596 times
Why would a Republican want to date a Democrat?

Old 03-11-2016, 02:07 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,910,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I always get a chuckle out of these Repub versus Dem threads when in all reality there are more Independents then anything else. Latest survey shows 42 percent of the population identifies as Independent.

Democratic, Republican Identification Near Historical Lows
Yeah but most of these Independents are not truly independent.

For instance, I would identify as an independent, but in reality, I'm a Republican.

The penchant of people to identify as "independent" I think is more a product of the dysfunction and disgust that people have of both parties, not wanting to identify with either in particular. Not to mention that people want candidates to compete for their vote, not just take it for granted that that person is going to vote for "x" party every time.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:07 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,306,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Why would a Republican want to date a Democrat?
Why not? I am sure there are plenty of married couples out there were on any given time one may vote for a Repub while the other votes for a Dem.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:09 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,910,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's just it, though. There are republican environmentalist, republican gay marriage advocates, republican pro-choice people, etc, etc. .
I'm all of these things. I'm more of a social libertarian, fiscal Republican.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:15 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,578,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
There is no absolute in life. Many believe all Republicans hate gays, this is absolutely untrue. I don't hate gays and I support gay marriage 100%. I swear one of my liberal friend says that he believes in "traditional" marriage (whatever this means), but he does not butt into other people's personal business. He always voted Democratic party, somehow, he is more progressive?
And in my experiences of dating republicans in the past, something always came up that would end the relationship & these things were the basis of political affiliation. After dating these people & having these experiences, I choose not to date republicans.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:16 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,306,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yeah but most of these Independents are not truly independent.

For instance, I would identify as an independent, but in reality, I'm a Republican.

The penchant of people to identify as "independent" I think is more a product of the dysfunction and disgust that people have of both parties, not wanting to identify with either in particular.
Well if you read the link it will tell you that most people identify as Independent because they are tired of gridlock. Another words they want both parties to work together, compromise and not block each other.
The link also shows that there is an equal split on which party Independents lean towards.

I would also say as much as I hate labels, I believe the majority of Americans come close to the moderate center, and not far left or right.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,941,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Well if you read the link it will tell you that most people identify as Independent because they are tired of gridlock. Another words they want both parties to work together, compromise and not block each other.
The link also shows that there is an equal split on which party Independents lean towards.

I would also say as much as I hate labels, I believe the majority of Americans come close to the moderate center, and not far left or right.
Wasn't this part of the reason there was an equal split of Democrats and Republicans for Perot in 92?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies