Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you torture a Terrorists family member to save innocent lives?
Yes, war is killing people and breaking things, do what has to be done 102 72.34%
Only if it would save a substantial number of lives 11 7.80%
Only the terrorist themself not family if they are innocent 15 10.64%
Never even if it means saving a whole city from total destruction. 13 9.22%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 04:11 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
ROFL...

And then you win, and you've changed your laws so you can use these methods.

And then who's next? You? Me? You're conservative correct? You want to put the power to torture in the hands of a democratic congress, with a democratic senate and a democratic president? If your not conservative you want to republicans to have that power. It's not going to go away, like the PATRIOT act won't go away, or FISA, or the NSA, and the Supreme court really can't do a lot, they've already ruled the NSA is in violation of law, but that hasn't even slowed them down.

What you think that it can only be used on terrorists? Like say the TEA party who are already half way, the NRA is around 1/4 of the way there, the FBI wanted OWS classified a terrorist group. Who defines terrorists? You don't, I don't the people in government do, like Lois Lerner, Hillary Clinton, Rumsfeld, Bush, McCain. You think some people may consider Donny a terrorist?

So when your wife is taken away for some interrogation, or your son, or daughter, or grandkids, or you, you can sit there safe in the knowledge that you are safe from Muslim terrorist attacks. You can use your ACA approved medical insurance to cover the costs of the psychological and any physical damage.

Of course you're probably thinking that'll never happen though will it, because it's never happened before, has it? Oh... Wait...
Nice deflection of the subject.

Yes, your cop-out goes off on tangents ... and the silliness of equating the TEA party and NRA to terrorists is appalling. Want some terrorist examples ... try NOI and The New Black Panthers. I went to the first two TEA party gatherings in DC. Anything but terrorists ... and from reading your tripe ... you weren't there hence the silly crap.

So I guess it's my turn to ROFL ... (And then you win ...)

El Nox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 04:33 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not a single person in this thread has the guts NOR the stomach to torture someone. Gimme a break. You're all a bunch of desk clerks in your daily jobs. If you could actually torture someone, you'd be in another line of work already.
I haven't voted yet as I haven't made up my mind yet, but this seems like an illogical point by you.

#1 There are people trained to do this and there are people willing to do this.

#2 Most people in America could not hit the beaches of Normandy in a D-Day situation today if they had to. Yet, many could if they are properly trained. D-Day was planned mostly by older people who could not hit the beaches and young "desk clerks," does that mean that they should not have planned it? While we are at it, most people can't cut it as firemen, inner city teachers, etc.....does that mean that others outside those professions should have no effect on their policies in your mind?

#3 You don't know who is in this thread unless you are Miss Cleo and have special paranormal powers. Yet you are making judgments about what everyone in this thread is capable of.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:36 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,949 times
I would gladly torture an Islamic terrorist for a complimentary order of fries at Burger King.(Has to be a large size).

Old 03-25-2016, 06:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
No, I would not perpetuate a stupid act with another stupid act. But then, I actually read the poll question.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:58 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"It's making it worse" Really? If they weren't wacked out religious fanatics bent on world domination that might be true. Water boarding and torture mean nothing to religious fanatics, they expect it cause they give it. What? you think ISIS believes in the Geneva convention?

I know you have probably read the Atlantic article but what it says is widely seen as the truth of ISIS goals..

What ISIS Really Wants - The Atlantic
Yes GITMO, torture are recruiting tools, Abu Graib was extremely damaging. I don't think we want to use ISIS as our standard, we are a country of laws and if we are going to ignore them we have nothing.

The value of torture is close to non-existent with a rather large downside, this entire discussion regarding torure as a solution is a waste of time. We need better inteligence and ISIS bases in Syria and Iraq need to be wiped out, all this discussion regarding torture as a solution is just background noise in an election year.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:57 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Never. Torture is wrong, and right and wrong are not situational. That's all there is to this discussion.

It's always quite amusing how the same people that pass themselves off as the guardians of public morals and that exhort people to have moral compasses always have none of their own when push comes to shove. It's also always quite disconcerting to see how many Americans have the depraved gall to support these heinous crimes against humanity, and anyone (and especially any American) that didn't answer never to this poll question ought to be ashamed* of him/herself. Moral decline is very real, but it's not what the right wing thinks it is - in fact it's the right wing that has on its hands the greater part of the blood from the atrocity of the last 15 years. America based its claim of being the good guys in a war on being the side that didn't torture - what does that say about its position in the current war? We should recall that torture itself is a form of terrorism, and when we torture we become the terrorists and bad guys; at that point you ought to wage the War on Terrorism against yourself.

Also the expansion of the definition of terrorist beyond recognition to include political enemies is quite concerning for the future, especially when terrorists have a subhuman torturable status in the American mind. America under such conditions as this and what we're experiencing could devolve into an Eastern Front-style orgy of democide and genocide much faster than you'd think; considering the size of the county the death toll from such a scenario could be truly immense.

*Oh, and these are often the same people that want to bring back shame, except apparently when it comes time for them to have some shame for sating their own taste for human flesh.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:38 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
I would fight the same way they do, I take them to a inch of their life, then take the inch

Old 03-25-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I would fight the same way they do, I take them to a inch of their life, then take the inch
Yep ... a definate paraphrase of Sun Tzu in terms of knowing the enemy ... It took us a while in WW2 to get to know our enemy ... but eventually we did.

El Nox

Old 03-25-2016, 09:22 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Yes, I carpet bomb them.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes GITMO, torture are recruiting tools
CHEAP COP OUT.

And doing nothing is NOT a recruiting tool? What is their incentive to NOT join?

El Nox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies