Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 02:17 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Actually I can monitor my blood pressure and other health indicators and decide if I should continue to take chlorthaladone and lozartan potassium without a doctor's advice and should be able to take the drugs without a prescription.
Ah yes, well aren't you quite the home doctor. And no, you shouldn't be able to do things that require a trained doctor to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 02:46 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I see allot of addicts out there. Some very close to me. Most of them started out with Rx for heavy synthetic drugs that are very powerful versions of heroin etc.
Once their Rx runs out, they are more often than not, hooked and need something to alleviate the addiction. Heroin is one choice many take. Not a great choice, but some have no guidance in life to show them a better way.
Well, at what point is the Doctor via Big Pharm, or just Big Pharm, going to be held accountable for their drug pushing ways. And you know they do. If you ever have surgery, they will ask what you may want after words for the pain... but, no accountability.
Many many others take pain medication and have no problems, I myself have stopped taking oxycodone...... I hope you never have to endure or watch a loved one endure the never ending pain I have had to suffer with for many years.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

You didn't have 20 year olds od'ing left and right in middle class communities in the 1970's. The volume of this is staggering.
Yes you did. I certainly remember the heroin epidemics of the '70s and '80s quite well. It was pretty bad

Old 04-04-2016, 10:52 AM

131 posts, read 112,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As long as corporations are held to be 'people', WHY shouldn't they be held responsible for their actions as individuals would be?
I can't believe I'm even giving credence to this by replying, but here goes. [And I'm going to do this very, very slowly so you can follow.]

A corporation is not considered to be "people"; it is a legal "entity".

A corporation does not have free will; generally, it is created for one primary purpose - to make money for it's shareholders. [This also holds true for more recent legal "entities" such as LLC's and even partnerships.]

Individuals, on the other hand, are indeed "people" and have free will. Thus, Coca Cola [a corporation] and Pepsi [a corporation] compete to sway the free will of individuals to drink their product over their competitors. When, and if, Coke becomes preferred exclusively over Pepsi - Pepsi goes out of business.

Realizing I'm oversimplifying this [but probably still not enough], when individuals take responsibility for their own well-being and limit or totally forego using particular drugs, then the manufacturer of those drugs goes out of business. Individuals have the free will to choose plain Tylenol over Percocet and to suffer the consequences upon making the wrong choice. Still confused?

Old 04-04-2016, 10:59 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Yes you did. I certainly remember the heroin epidemics of the '70s and '80s quite well. It was pretty bad

So your anecdotal recollections have more weight than actual statistics.

Gotta love this forum. It's like talking to rocks coming in here.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
So your anecdotal recollections have more weight than actual statistics.

Gotta love this forum. It's like talking to rocks coming in here.
Anecdotal recollections about the '70s and '80s here?

GROWTH IN HEROIN USE ENDING AS CITY USERS TURN TO CRACK - NYTimes.com - the end of the epidemic in NYC

It lasted longer in the Southwestern US and California. Read GOING DOWN TO THE BARRIO: HOMEGIRLS AND HOMEBOYS IN CHANGE by Joan Moore.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:58 PM

131 posts, read 112,404 times
Quote:
BINGO. The US will never hold people accountable. Lawyers ensure that. But parents could start holding their kids accountable from an early age..........Just saying.
For the sake of greater accuracy: sure, lawyers may be to blame for bringing the cases, but it is JURORS who render the verdicts. When juries stop rewarding plaintiffs because they placed a hot cup of coffee on their lap and burned their genitalia, or because they became "addicted" to pain meds taking the pills like M&M's for excessively long periods of time, only then will the lawyers refuse to take the case.

And I absolutely agree - when parents teach their kids accountability, it is more likely those kids will recognize the proper party who screwed up.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:06 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
Big Pharm will be stopped when they are prevented from pushing all their products on TV, like every other commercial with what is "right for YOU!"

Old 04-04-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Big Pharm will be stopped when they are prevented from pushing all their products on TV, like every other commercial with what is "right for YOU!"
They will be stopped when they lose their monopoly.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:42 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
Quote:
I see allot of addicts out there. Some very close to me. Most of them started out with Rx for heavy synthetic drugs that are very powerful versions of heroin etc.
Once their Rx runs out, they are more often than not, hooked and need something to alleviate the addiction. Heroin is one choice many take. Not a great choice, but some have no guidance in life to show them a better way.
Well, at what point is the Doctor via Big Pharm, or just Big Pharm, going to be held accountable for their drug pushing ways. And you know they do. If you ever have surgery, they will ask what you may want after words for the pain... but, no accountability.

when will we blame government for so many of the problems they cause, just like the country blamed big tobacco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies