Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 10:39 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,485,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Around the time I was in the 7th grade, my parents' attitudes towards blacks started to change. It took years for me to figure it out but that was the first time they saw me interact with my friends while playing sports. Now when I talk to them they will tell me they ran into a classmate while at the grocery store and got a big hug from them. Plus they have 3 mixed race great grand kids.

No law will make a change a person like that.
Presuming you attended a public school and that classmate is a minority, please consider that were it not for laws they wouldn't have been your classmate in the first place.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:48 AM

9,692 posts, read 7,433,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, I am a landlord. I don't think anything in particular about my tenents. As a renter, I didn't care what the landlord thought of me. As long as I paid my rent and was a good tenant, it didn't matter.

So what the guy thinks about interracial relationships or how black people act is not important. This couple were trying to save some money to buy a house. They were looking for a cheap place to rent. It doesn't matter how the guy feels about them. As long as they pay the fees and rent and follow the rules of the lease, Iin some way about black people due to the pervasiveness of negative stereotypes about us in this country. By your reasoning, I should never use any business or service of which I think someone is prejudiced/prejudging me. If I did that, I would never have groceries or gas or bank accounts or have furniture, etc. Ironically, recently I bought a new bed at a store and the clerk (white guy) before I decided on what bed to buy was asking me how much I got for my "tax refund" to see what kind of bed I could afford to buy. I told him I didn't get tax refunds but I can afford whatever bed I want. He apologized and I did end up buying a bed. I don't think the clerk was racist or anything like that, but I do feel he saw me, a black woman in the store with my kids and a nephew and thought I probably was a single black mom who got a huge tax return for all the kids I had and was blowing my money on a bed (to his benefit). I am commonly stereotyped in places of business. Especially at gas stations and grocery stores where clerks always think I am buying something with an EBT. This is just stuff I am used to and as long as I am not refused service or a purchase I need, like the bed (he apologized and explained that a lot of people were coming and talking about their tax refund to him, and I understood and told him he didn't need to apologize and we proceeded with the business). Then I'm fine. My personal financial goals or business dealings are more important than someone's prejudice in my life.

FWIW, that is a blatant violation of Fair Housing Laws. The guy would be smart to get out of the business because he would be fined up the wazoo and opened up for a legal suit. You cannot deny people a place to live based on their race or on religion, both of which came up in this case. Fair Housing Centers take this sort of claim very seriously and more often than not, the complainant is usually believed over the landlord.

As a white guy I was ask about the tax refund too, I don't think it's racist at all, it just sores have sales at tax time and people buy cars and furniture with tax refund

Old 04-05-2016, 11:07 AM

30,456 posts, read 23,912,738 times
Quote:
On the bold, I am a landlord. I don't think anything in particular about my tenents. As a renter, I didn't care what the landlord thought of me. As long as I paid my rent and was a good tenant, it didn't matter.

So what the guy thinks about interracial relationships or how black people act is not important. This couple were trying to save some money to buy a house. They were looking for a cheap place to rent. It doesn't matter how the guy feels about them. As long as they pay the fees and rent and follow the rules of the lease, I doubt they would have cared what he felt about them.

IMO, as a black person, I think most people are prejudiced in some way about black people due to the pervasiveness of negative stereotypes about us in this country. By your reasoning, I should never use any business or service of which I think someone is prejudiced/prejudging me. If I did that, I would never have groceries or gas or bank accounts or have furniture, etc. Ironically, recently I bought a new bed at a store and the clerk (white guy) before I decided on what bed to buy was asking me how much I got for my "tax refund" to see what kind of bed I could afford to buy. I told him I didn't get tax refunds but I can afford whatever bed I want. He apologized and I did end up buying a bed. I don't think the clerk was racist or anything like that, but I do feel he saw me, a black woman in the store with my kids and a nephew and thought I probably was a single black mom who got a huge tax return for all the kids I had and was blowing my money on a bed (to his benefit). I am commonly stereotyped in places of business. Especially at gas stations and grocery stores where clerks always think I am buying something with an EBT. This is just stuff I am used to and as long as I am not refused service or a purchase I need, like the bed (he apologized and explained that a lot of people were coming and talking about their tax refund to him, and I understood and told him he didn't need to apologize and we proceeded with the business). Then I'm fine. My personal financial goals or business dealings are more important than someone's prejudice in my life.

FWIW, that is a blatant violation of Fair Housing Laws. The guy would be smart to get out of the business because he would be fined up the wazoo and opened up for a legal suit. You cannot deny people a place to live based on their race or on religion, both of which came up in this case. Fair Housing Centers take this sort of claim very seriously and more often than not, the complainant is usually believed over the landlord.
You completely avoided answering the question.

Would you, or would you not, prefer to know if someone despises you upfront instead of having to figure it out later? It's a simple "yes I prefer it" or "no I don't" answer. It does not require lengthy paragraphs summarizing a story that I already read, nor does it matter "why".

Old 04-05-2016, 11:57 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,873,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
At first glance you would probably identify me as a typical white guy but I have Jew and Cherokee mixed in.

I agree. Racist businesses do have a right to exist.

99.9% of the time someone would see an under served population and see it as a business opportunity. This isn't the Jim Crow law period where the government made it illegal to server minorities. Now anyone can step up and fill the void.

I think it is morally wrong to do so but I also know that a law can't change a person's mind.

Yes, it sucks for them but the owner of the property should not have his rights denied either.

My story - I grew up in the south with parents who were closeted bigots. Basically their outward appearance was normal but behind closed doors their attitudes towards minorities were very negative. Also, they weren't rich enough to send me to a private school so I was enrolled in the local public school which was about 70% black.

Around the time I was in the 7th grade, my parents' attitudes towards blacks started to change. It took years for me to figure it out but that was the first time they saw me interact with my friends while playing sports. Now when I talk to them they will tell me they ran into a classmate while at the grocery store and got a big hug from them. Plus they have 3 mixed race great grand kids.

No law will make a change a person like that. In fact, my first thought when hearing the government has banned something is to go out and do it. Only showing a positive example like I did will. And for the old, hold-outs - they will die off soon.
Sorry to say, but I personally don't care about your story.

The law is there for a reason, of which I described above. I never said a law can change people's minds.

Please see my earlier comment about pervasive stereotypes of black people. I don't care if people are prejudiced against me as a black women. Their bigotry is not my concern UNLESS it disallows me to enjoy public society. In this case, they were denied a right according to the Fair Housing law. The owner/manager can be just like your parents were -bigoted all he wants. He is hurting no one with his bigotry until he takes away an opportunity for them, which he did.

Changing people's minds is not important in this incident or many others IMO in regards to discrimination and opportunities. Again, I could care less what someone thinks about black people or of women, since I am a woman. As long as they don't actively deny me equal access to society, it doesn't matter.

You may disagree with that law, but the law is the law and the violator should be punished.

In a society it is better to move forward than backwards. What you want - open discrimination of businesses, already existed for hundreds of years in this country. It caused a detriment to various minority citizens. There is no reason for us to once again, legalize housing discrimination.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:00 PM

45,348 posts, read 26,613,127 times
Quote:
Sorry to say, but I personally don't care about your story.

The law is there for a reason, of which I described above. I never said a law can change people's minds.

Please see my earlier comment about pervasive stereotypes of black people. I don't care if people are prejudiced against me as a black women. Their bigotry is not my concern UNLESS it disallows me to enjoy public society. In this case, they were denied a right according to the Fair Housing law.

You may disagree with that law, but the law is the law and the violator should be punished.

In a society it is better to move forward than backwards. What you want - open discrimination of businesses, already existed for hundreds of years in this country. It caused a detriment to various minority citizens. There is no reason for us to once again, legalize housing discrimination.
forcing people to associate through threat of violence does not advance society.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:11 PM

25,901 posts, read 16,626,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Would both of you like laws enacted that determine whom you must allow into your home?
A bussiness should be looked upon no differently than a home.
I don't know man, there has to be rules everyone has to play by in America. If you are going to be in business to the general public you cannot discriminate for ridiculous reasons.

If they had any other basis, like criminal records ect...that would be different.

Just because of race? No way. They should lose their license.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:13 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,956,673 times
Quote:
forcing people to associate through threat of violence does not advance society.
Long story short, you would have or did oppose the 1964 Civil Rights Act?

Old 04-05-2016, 12:21 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,949,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Presuming you attended a public school and that classmate is a minority, please consider that were it not for laws they wouldn't have been your classmate in the first place.
Actually if there were no laws besides color blind residency requirements they would be your classmate.

Before there were laws forcing integration there were laws forcing segregation. Both are violations of the right of association and the natural rights of man.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You completely avoided answering the question.

Would you, or would you not, prefer to know if someone despises you upfront instead of having to figure it out later? It's a simple "yes I prefer it" or "no I don't" answer. It does not require lengthy paragraphs summarizing a story that I already read, nor does it matter "why".
No I don't.

I never know what people think about me up front.

As stated earlier, I don't care. It doesn't matter to me.

Why do you think it matters?

ETA: Sorry you don't like to read paragraphs lol.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
There was no violence

What are you talking about?

All I said was that Fair Housing laws are valid in order to protect members of society from other members of society. I don't care about what other people think of me as a black woman. As long as my rights are not violated and I can enjoy society's offerings within my means, then I don't have a problem with other people's prejudice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies