Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:54 PM

25,604 posts, read 17,334,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Sad. I've been through Tupelo a couple times and considered it a nice town. Guess there will always be 'exceptions'.

Mississippi RV park owner evicts interracial couple
The story is nonsense. It's all full of, "And then he said....".
People were evicted. There is no evidence that they were evicted because one of them is Black and the other White. But it makes great press.

There is one part I believe, though:
Quote:
“Nobody’s given us dirty looks. This is our first time.”
Tupelo is full of interracial couples. And she's right; no one even looks twice.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:56 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I support the RV park owner's right to be a complete idiot for rejecting a potentially good tenant. He or she (the owner) deserves to be with his or her own kind.
Agreed. If someone wants to fish in a smaller pond let them. Less chance of them making it.
In the age of information word gets out and one losses business. It wouldn't surprise me if the couple gets media attention and someone solicits them.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:17 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,935,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Ask yourself, Steven...do you honestly think that anyone who advocates denying goods and services to people because they have the wrong skin color is going to have any chance whatsoever in the political arena beyond some office in a backwater hillbilly town? Be honest.
If you're speaking about the Libertarian movement, I don't think it's likely to gain much traction, there are many reasons & some have been demonstrated in this thread.

& some Libertarian ideas are alright. IMHO, they often trip over themselves when aiming for 'a foolish consistency' & get miffed when the 'hobgoblins' created multiply & insist on returning to haunt them. (please see Father & Son Paul & how they justify their views on the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for a demonstration)

& sometimes it just gets plain ridiculous as in the debates revolving around the point at which life begins. Is it at conception? & then one realizes they're speaking about Corporations! Or when the conversation turns to making government small enough to fit inside a woman's body. Oh wait ... that might not be Libertarian ideology ... there's an awful lot of overlap in the circular logic.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:22 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,450,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well whoever owns the RV park should decide who gains admittance.
For what it's worth, if they were paying on time and didn't create a disturbance, ownership probably just penalized itself in getting rid of good reliable tenants.
Given how badly black people have been screwed over by this, no thanks.

Frank DeForrest: "Repeal Civil Rights"

Old 04-06-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'm confused.

If this is a mobile home park, he can't discriminate in renting (regardless of what his mother-in-law thinks). However, he said that he's "closing down" the park, so isn't everybody SOL?
I guess it doesn't matter whether created as a Sole Proprietorship, Partnership or Corporation, it has the right to end its own life.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:26 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,739,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Your entire rant is nothing more than falsely playing the race card.
I've seen the tabloid posters like you falsely testify out of ignorance. You know people see right through that, right?
You have your hands full running your own life. Stay out of the lives of others when no ones rights have been violated.

So you were okay with slavery? Good to know. Always best that the racist is out in the open. (I doubt you'll ever understand this)

As far as government agencies yes. Everyone pays into the pie, that's what it's for.

We the people combat societies ill not government. Government isn't moral so why rely on Jim Crow when Jim Crow caused the problem in the first place?
The Civil Rights Act came after the fact. The tide had already turned because we the people made the difference, not government.

That's called mob rule. When 51 percent tell the other 49 percent what to do. How about you quit forcing people to do what you want when no ones rights have been violated.

As a whole, hopefully not. But there are plenty of republicans who are just as lost as you are, and have that same thirst for forcing their will on others, as you do.

Property rights is one of the cornerstones of our foundation. Read up on it.
The vast majority of this post is so ludicrous it's not even worth addressing. How can I play the race card? I'm white. Again, your entire post is a laughable attempt to try and pass your bigotry label onto me. It's not working. You and your right wing friends here are the bigots and always have been. You make that obvious for all to see.

Yes property rights are a cornerstone but a business has to play by different rules when dealing with the public. That business wouldn't exist without the roads and infrastructure financed by the public. That very same public has the right to be treated with dignity and respect when they walk in that store no matter what color their skin might be. That's the law. Every court in the land agrees with this. People fought long and hard for those protections and rightly so. These laws were designed to protect the disadvantaged from folks like yourself who would deny those goods and services to people you find distasteful. You're a dying breed, lhc.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 PM

35,742 posts, read 21,105,153 times
if the RV is open to the public to rent to all-- MUST follow the RULES of engagement-- what you circumventing the laws? the park owner closing it down - he knows

Old 04-06-2016, 09:34 PM

45,250 posts, read 26,493,925 times
Lol it's the "you didn't build that" meme.
None of has a choice since govt has granted itself a monopoly on road construction.

Yeah we get it, the law says a business must serve everyone regardless of race, sexual orientation etc. (and my business does), however no one can tell us why the rules are different for a business than a homeowner.
Maybe we need the law to extend into people's homes, so that a gay couple must admit the bigot, a black family must admit a white supremacist, a white family must admit a black panther,Catholics and muslims must open their homes to each other...why not? Those people didn't get their homes without the aid of the public infrastructure

p.s. Private property rights have nothing to do with race, but I repeat myself.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Lol it's the "you didn't build that" meme.
None of has a choice since govt has granted itself a monopoly on road construction.

Yeah we get it, the law says a business must serve everyone regardless of race, sexual orientation etc. (and my business does), however no one can tell us why the rules are different for a business than a homeowner.
Maybe we need the law to extend into people's homes, so that a gay couple must admit the bigot, a black family must admit a white supremacist, a white family must admit a black panther,Catholics and muslims must open their homes to each other...why not? Those people didn't get their homes without the aid of the public infrastructure

p.s. Private property rights have nothing to do with race, but I repeat myself.
One's home is not a public accommodation, one's business is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

& one's home or business lacks a heartbeat, but I repeat myself.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:47 PM

39,247 posts, read 27,650,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Yes property rights are a cornerstone but a business has to play by different rules when dealing with the public. That business wouldn't exist without the roads and infrastructure financed by the public. That very same public has the right to be treated with dignity and respect when they walk in that store no matter what color their skin might be. That's the law. Every court in the land agrees with this. People fought long and hard for those protections and rightly so. These laws were designed to protect the disadvantaged from folks like yourself who would deny those goods and services to people you find distasteful. You're a dying breed, lhc.
loveshiscountry is not a racist. Please read his post and know his point of view.

He said Always best that the racist is out in the open, I think it is valid point.

What do you think is better? This nice couple moved in and found out everybody in that community treated them like outsiders. Or not moving into that community at all.

They will save a lot of money and energy by NOT moving in that community. Will you agree?

I am not saying the park owner is not a jerk, but when people tell you who they are, believe them. At least this jerk is being honest to them.

I think this is the point loveshiscountry is trying to make. I think loveshiscountry is explaining the libertarian approach for racism.

Don't know who said it, I read it somewhere that,

Almost all libertarians are against racism. But being personally opposed to something is not the the same as wanting to use the coercive powers of the state to prevent or punish racism. They would not support that.

The thing about government coercion is it does not always work in a direction that you favor. For every government that outlaws racial discrimination you can point to another government that outlaws abortion, or alcohol, or executes homosexuals, drug dealers or blasphemers. In many cases it was our own government that acted in this way. Remember, racism was institutionalized by government coercion in the Jim Crow laws.

So the Libertarian looks at state coercion like having a Bobcat in the house to control mice.

I agree with it to a certain degree.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-06-2016 at 09:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies