Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you curse/swer/cuss in public regardless of where you are and who's around?
Yes, free speech allows me to, don't like it, don't listen 29 40.28%
No, I refrain from cursing in public 43 59.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times

Advertisements

This idea for a thread was borne out of my thread yesterday about the 20 year old who wore a really offensive t-shirt in public. Also, I was in Minneapolis last week and was having breakfast and this guy was next to me talking to his buddy and literally dropping the "f" bomb every 30 seconds; I found it really rude and offensive, but left it alone. as there were no young kids in the place.

When I ask do you curse, I'm not talking about letting out a "S#*T" when you spill coffee on yourself, but routinely pepper your conversation with the f-word, GD, and the like, regardless of where you are and who's around you.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:30 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,981 times
I have in public but I have always tried to keep it down in case children are around and not to offend others who don't want to hear me.

It's funny because I work with kids and of course you can't swear. So over the years I have become creative in making up sayings so I don't accidentally slip in front of them. Stuff like "oh, potato salad" or "spaghetti and meatball sandwiches".

Sounds strange but it works for me. And they always laugh at what I say which shows me they are listening.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:31 PM

527 posts, read 467,861 times
I hear a lot of swearing in public- I don't do it myself-

I think that swearing excessively as part of conversation is just an outcome of the general falling practical literacy of the population of this country-it is just laziness,and a result of slang overtaking public speech in the media heard by young children- look at interviews with some sports figures on the news, they sound like they could barely read if they had a gun to their head- I hear public conversations peppered with 'like' 'you know what I'm saying' and other such vocal crutches that swearing has also become- a vocal crutch-

Old 03-21-2010, 04:35 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
I do not swear in public or in private. Swearing, to me, shows a lack of respect for yourself and for others and also shows a very limited vocabulary if that is the only way you can express your feelings. Of course, with my great vocabulary, I just say; "Oh piddle" when I'm upset. <grin>

Old 03-21-2010, 04:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
There was not a "sometimes" option.

I try not to have a "potty-mouth"; but, sometimes it happens. I'm not proud of it when it does. It is part and parcel of the culture to which I am sometimes exposed. Foul language, like dirt on the car, will rub off on a person from time to time. I do my best to keep it clean.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:41 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Yes!!! &&^((*&^&*##$@

Old 03-21-2010, 04:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
I don't swear.

But I do say "poop!" a heck of a lot.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:46 PM

839 posts, read 982,858 times
I cuss in public, though I try to make sure I don't do it when children are around or that I do it too loudly. Don't have a problem with it, just a means of expression as long as you aren't using cuss words with particularly negative connotations for specific groups of people (ie. slurs towards particular ethnicities, religions or sexual orientations). As for the T-Shirt issue, I'm more opposed to that. It is legal, but I think it is in very, very poor taste, it shows a lack of maturity and it's offensive purely for the sake of being offensive. Whenever I see someone with a T-Shirt with a cuss word emblazoned on it I want to tell them they need to grow up.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:48 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,174,360 times
There is no such thing as swearing.

Centuries ago, it was profane to refer to a woman's legs.

In the early 1900's, saying the word pregnant on television was profane.

Before George Carlin, you couldn't say **** or **** on TV.

When does it all just break down to being various sounds used to produce a word?

Nobody can give an objective definition of profanity or cursing. Bottom line.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:49 PM

839 posts, read 982,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post

I think that swearing excessively as part of conversation is just an outcome of the general falling practical literacy of the population of this country-it is just laziness,and a result of slang overtaking public speech in the media heard by young children- look at interviews with some sports figures on the news, they sound like they could barely read if they had a gun to their head-
This may be the case in some, or even many, instances, but I just can't agree with you entirely on this point. I pepper my more informal conversations with friends with cuss words, as do my friends, and we're all highly educated (we're all doctoral students). Clearly, this isn't because of poor literacy. Rather, I think that younger generations, particularly younger generations from more 'liberal' states, tend to have fewer reservations about cuss words and view them as a means of showing the intensity of their opinions and as a means of suggesting informality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies