Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 03:12 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times

Advertisements

This Study Shows How Low Corporate America's Taxes Really Are

"Every year from 2006 to 2012, some two-thirds of U.S. corporations did not pay federal income tax, according to a Government Accountability Office study released on Wednesday. In 2012 alone, 42.5 percent of businesses that the GAO defines as large did not pay federal taxes, including 19.5 percent of big corporations that posted a profit."
"Executives at these companies claim the top statutory corporate tax rate in the U.S. of 35 percent is so high relative to other countries, that they have little choice but to move overseas in order to remain competitive.

But the GAO study provides new support for the arguments of fair taxation advocates, who have long noted that effective corporate tax rates are much lower than the statutory rates."

Lets lower taxes some more for these companies facing tax hardships.

I've always felt that companies that do not want to pay US taxes should be forced to leave the US market. You don't want to be taxed here - you can't sell here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 03:14 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
"They earned it." - right-wing suckers

Old 04-13-2016, 03:28 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,116 times
I think you are confusing issues. Corporate tax rates are too high. But there are obviously way too many loopholes. Why would a company not legally find all ways to reduce their income tax? Do you forgo tax credits just to be a good corporate citizen? Pay more taxes than you owe?

You don't fix this by raising taxes, that compounds the problem and provides more incentives to maximize tax loopholes. You lower the corporate tax rate, and rid it of the excess loopholes.

Is GE going to pay more income tax if you raise the rate to 40%, or lower it to 18% and get rid of all loopholes? The latter of course.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:04 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I think you are confusing issues. Corporate tax rates are too high. But there are obviously way too many loopholes. Why would a company not legally find all ways to reduce their income tax? Do you forgo tax credits just to be a good corporate citizen? Pay more taxes than you owe?

You don't fix this by raising taxes, that compounds the problem and provides more incentives to maximize tax loopholes. You lower the corporate tax rate, and rid it of the excess loopholes.

Is GE going to pay more income tax if you raise the rate to 40%, or lower it to 18% and get rid of all loopholes? The latter of course.
Why would you assume I am confused or favor raising taxes on corporations? My position is that corporations belly ache about taxes being too high - then don't pay any. Not exactly good "citizens." I think the system needs fixing right away and that does not include "lowering" taxes and calling it "done."

Old 04-13-2016, 04:10 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
I wonder if the liberal who wrote is intentionally playing stupid so that other stupid liberals would believe it... Do they know the multiple different types of corporations that exist and how each tax structured is used... Neither does its readers apparently... Nobody pays zero taxes.... Dumb liberals...

Old 04-13-2016, 04:10 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Here's example:

Quote:
The GAO said those corporations in the black that still did not pay federal taxes benefitted from loopholes and tax incentives, such as the practice of rolling over losses from previous years. That enables companies to deduct those losses from their tax burden.
Suppose a company loses 1 million in 2015 and then profits 1 million in 2016. Any tax they pay in 2016 on that profit effectively puts them into the red over the two years.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post

The OP didn't say anything about raising taxes. See how knee jerk you guys are?

The point is that folks need to shut the hell up about corporate taxes being too high. They aren't too high seeing as how no one seems to pay 'em.

If we remove all loopholes, what should the statutory rate be? Tell us.

Truth is, you guys don't want them to pay ANY taxes.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

If we remove all loopholes, what should the statutory rate be? Tell us.
Remove the loopholes, subsidies and everything else to make an even playing field, set the rate at 0% because we are paying it anyway.

Quote:
Truth is, you guys don't want them to pay ANY taxes.
News flash, Exxon doesn't pay one dime in taxes. They only collect them.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:31 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
This Study Shows How Low Corporate America's Taxes Really Are

Lets lower taxes some more for these companies facing tax hardships.

I've always felt that companies that do not want to pay US taxes should be forced to leave the US market. You don't want to be taxed here - you can't sell here.
I agree. Corporate greed knows no bounds. Like that idiotic Pfizer deal.

The pharmaceutical companies are particularly obnoxious. They make all their profit off of American consumers. We pay R&D for the whole world, who buy their pharmaceuticals at a much lower price than Americans due to price controls.

The only candidate I've heard address the pharmaceutical issue is Hillary.

As far as corporations stashing cash offshore to avoid taxes, I believe that is one reason why Trump will not release his tax returns.

"..These companies should be familiar to him: A review of Trump's stock portfolio, as itemized in his financial disclosure form, shows he owns millions of dollars in stock in the same companies that have been most aggressive with these legal but controversial tax strategies..."

Everything You Need to Know About Companies Leaving America for Taxes | TIME

U.S. Companies Are Stashing $2.1 Trillion Overseas to Avoid Taxes - Bloomberg

Why the U.S. Pays More Than Other Countries for Drugs - WSJ

Trump puts his money in companies that stash cash abroad - CBS News

Old 04-13-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

The pharmaceutical companies are particularly obnoxious. They make all their profit off of American consumers. We pay R&D for the whole world, who buy their pharmaceuticals at a much lower price than Americans due to price controls.

The only candidate I've heard address the pharmaceutical issue is Hillary.
And how does that correlate with her accepting more donations to her campaign than Trump, Cruz, Rubio, Kasich and Sanders combined?

Despite her rhetoric, big pharma likes Hillary

What is her policy, is she going after the companies or the countries with price controls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies