Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 07:19 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times

Advertisements

Most non-common law crimes are created and used to generate revenue for the government, create more corporate contract kickbacks, or protect public sector jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 07:23 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Here is a thought.

Violate no laws and you don't have to worry about it.

Only SJW's worry about inequity in everything. Life is unfair, get used to it.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:24 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Smoking a joint should be legal for adults, but marijuana isn't harmless to society. Mexico has been practically destroyed by the drug wars between gangs, primarily due to the marijuana trade. That violence has spilled over our borders.
The harm to society is the result of the black market drug trade. A byproduct of this nation's pointless, ineffectual and expensive "war on drugs". Simply stop fighting a war you cannot win, and the problem will resolve itself. But a number of pointless government alphabet agencies would run out of reasons to exist, and the goal of government is not to downsize.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:31 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The harm to society is the result of the black market drug trade. A byproduct of this nation's pointless, ineffectual and expensive "war on drugs". Simply stop fighting a war you cannot win, and the problem will resolve itself. But a number of pointless government alphabet agencies would run out of reasons to exist, and the goal of government is not to downsize.
I agree, andy. The political tide may be changing towards legalization. I certainly hope so.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:32 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Here is a thought.

Only SJW's worry about inequity in everything. Life is unfair, get used to it.
Ever sit down and read the laws of our land? If you have, you would know that there are a ton of them, and they are often vaguely written. Any one of us could be breaking a law and not even know it. That's why we need specialized people to spend their lives trying to decode the mess that is our legal system.

That's not a sensible way to keep people toeing the line.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:45 AM

1,188 posts, read 959,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Here is a thought.

Impossible. The average American commits 5 felonies per day without knowing it.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
I never really thought of this until I became an adult and saw people my age getting sucked into the legal abyss. It seems ridiculous that we treat all crimes as if the defendant is a crazy serial killer who needs to be immediately arrested and locked up for years.

Imagine that you're an average dude who I caught smoking a joint. You get arrested, thrown in jail, bailed out, get a court date, and if you get a lawyer you can keep pushing back your legal charges to years. Leaving aside for now the fact that smoking a joint isn't harming anyone else, what is the point of arresting and throwing you in jail for only 1 day if after that you're going to be free for months (or years) until you face your charges? If you are such a menace to society, then why allow you to get bailed out? Only reason I can think of is $$$.

And can someone explain what the logic is behind jailing high school teachers for 10+ years for having consenting sex with their students? What are they going to do when they get out and have no job prospects after being out of the workforce for 10 years?

To me, this all seems like a big charade. The government likes arresting people because it's a huge source of revenue and it's a show of power to have pictures of people in handcuffs on the front page of the newspaper.
"Leaving aside for now the fact that smoking a joint isn't harming anyone else"

Except for a little thing it it is AGAINST the law in most places.

You don't agree with the law so you feel you can ignore it?

If a speed limit is 55 mph and are stopped by a cop for doing 70 mph are you going to tell him and the judge, "I don't agree with that law?'

See how fart THAT will get you.

"And can someone explain what the logic is behind jailing high school teachers for 10+ years for having consenting sex with their students? What are they going to do when they get out and have no job prospects after being out of the workforce for 10 years?"

If you need THIS explained to you, NO explanation will suffice.

How old are you? You sound VERY young.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, we have huge problems. The government has lots of incentives to control the people and take their money. And a large part of our society just likes to tell other people how to live their lives.

And you hit on another problem. If somebody is convicted and goes to prison, they are screwed for life. When they get out, they can't get a job because a lot of companies will not hire felons and the government requires many to NOT hire felons. So a felon has no choice but to dive further into a life of crime.
"And you hit on another problem. If somebody is convicted and goes to prison, they are screwed for life."

They SHOULD have THOUGHT about THIS BEFORE committing the crime!

"Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time"

It is called a "penal" institution for a reason. To PENALIZE those that break the laws of society.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:08 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
I never really thought of this until I became an adult and saw people my age getting sucked into the legal abyss. It seems ridiculous that we treat all crimes as if the defendant is a crazy serial killer who needs to be immediately arrested and locked up for years.

Imagine that you're an average dude who I caught smoking a joint. You get arrested, thrown in jail, bailed out, get a court date, and if you get a lawyer you can keep pushing back your legal charges to years. Leaving aside for now the fact that smoking a joint isn't harming anyone else, what is the point of arresting and throwing you in jail for only 1 day if after that you're going to be free for months (or years) until you face your charges? If you are such a menace to society, then why allow you to get bailed out? Only reason I can think of is $$$.

And can someone explain what the logic is behind jailing high school teachers for 10+ years for having consenting sex with their students? What are they going to do when they get out and have no job prospects after being out of the workforce for 10 years?

To me, this all seems like a big charade. The government likes arresting people because it's a huge source of revenue and it's a show of power to have pictures of people in handcuffs on the front page of the newspaper.

Bullies, will always be bullies....

There is only one way to take care of a bully for good.

If you do not wish that I be free to do as I wish... Kill, or incarcerate me, or I will be free to do what ever I wish... Good and bad.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
One of the problems is that many voters believe jails are rehabilitationary facilities with college classes and such. I've been to jail and anything like that is extremely rare. All anyone does in jail is lay in bed and sleep and watch non-cable TV because there's nothing else productive to do.
Not ALL jails are like that.

I had to do work in one and they had FULL cable, a HUGE library, some even had BETTER law libraries then some law forms, fully equipped gyms, etc.

Some prisoners when interviewed and asked why they committed the crime and when caight so easily confessed that they had it BETTER in jail then they did on the outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies