Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 07:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Yes, I do.
Then you don't know Canada or Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:49 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Yes, I do.
Well that explains why you die younger and more of you on a per-capita basis die without getting any medical care at all. All those others are stupid.

Why are so Many Americans against Universal Health Care?

Germans are confused why Americans are against universal healthcare - NeoGAF

Top Ten Reasons People Think Americans Are Stupid - TheTopTens.com

An indication of outright stupidity would be ignoring the wishes of the majority of his fellow citizens.

https://morningconsult.com/2015/12/p...thcare-system/

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...ion-poll-finds

Old 04-27-2016, 08:32 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You are being forced to pay for a lot of things, through your taxes. UHC is no different.
All taxation is theft, so yeah.

Quote:
As for your island scenario, wouldn't the chance for survival increase if the two survivors worked together?
Yes, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Quote:
The rights argument is an odd one. Why are rights suddenly infringed when it comes to UHC, but private health insurance calling the shots on your care isn't considered an infringement on your rights? If private insurance is truly the right way to go, how can they IMPOSE on you restrictions of their choosing.

Again, the irony is that it took GOVERNMENT to force corporate insurers to stop imposing some onerous restrictions like pre-existing conditions.

I really don't get what the fear of UHC is.
Universal health care takes your free will out of the equation. If a private company is forcing you to pay for their services or preventing you from buying from someone else, they'd be infringing on your rights. Otherwise they aren't.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
All taxation is theft, so yeah.

Yes, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Universal health care takes your free will out of the equation. If a private company is forcing you to pay for their services or preventing you from buying from someone else, they'd be infringing on your rights. Otherwise they aren't.
It's impossible to have a sane discussion with someone who believes all taxation is theft. I suggest you find an island somewhere remote and empty.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We also "let" millions of others die every year. Can't save everyone, even when the technology and medical treatments and equipment to do so is available.
We "let" millions of others die every year because they don't have access to preventative care, but we are willing to spend use all available technology and medical treatments to keep them alive once they are near death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Hospital groups spend millions lobbying their representatives to protect their local market from competition from out of state.
Agreed, and as someone else mentioned, from in state also. Another item that hospitals spend millions on is fighting unions. These two items are usually the top topics in hospital executive management meetings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
We fought WW2, supported the Allies and simultaneously our own citizens and won the war. Money was not the issue as money can be created. The issue was and is in total productivity. We could easily import and train more docs and other HC providers, and build whatever necessary HC related infrastructure to meet all our HC needs. The political priorities are not there to do so. If we should have a national scale infectious pandemic disaster, it might happen in a short time.
I agree but this is beyond the understanding of most Americans. They are led to believe that a balanced budget and rescinding Obamacare will solve all the problems of the USA.

Quote:
Low income people tend to be fat. Diet, activity, lifestyle and where they live. All work against them.
Did you ever notice how you see so many more people exercising in high income areas?

Quote:
We will NEVER pay off all our national debt. We do not want to. To do so would cause economic collapse right after we lost our competitive presence in the world.

National debt is unlike personal debt. And also unlike business, city, county or state debt. Unlike Greek debt since we are monetarily sovereign.

Wray: The Federal Budget is NOT like a Household Budget

Be Careful What You Wish For: the Balanced Budget Amendment – The Moderate Voice
Wanted to emphasize the statement in bold above. If more people, and especially members of Congress, would really take time to understand this, this country could start a serious discussion about the changes that are necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There is no federal law that prevents insurance from being sold across state lines. It's a state issue. Not all states ban out of state insurers. Each governor appoints an Insurance Commission to regulate insurance. The ACA specifies Essential Services. Each state decides for themselves if they want insurance to cover more than Essential Services. There's tremendous variation, state to state.

Insurance is a reflection of the health of the local population and competitiveness or lack thereof of the local healthcare market.

My state has 13 different healthcare regions. The same plan costs more or less depending on your region.

If you want to know why there is not more competition in Western PA, best to ask your governor and/or his appointed commission.

The insurer that insures people in the healthiest state with the most competitive regions is not going to be able to offer the same plan, at the same premium in say the least healthy and noncompetitive state with an entirely different set of regulations and inclusions/ exclusions.

Politicians who yap about how they will wave their magic wand and reduce costs by allowing insurance to be sold across state lines is repeating a sound bite.
I said there are restrictions, I did not specifically say federal laws. The restrictions have to do with the state regulation of health insurance in each state and the complexities of federal ERISA laws. This makes it more complex for health insurers to do business in each state since they must set up an organization in each state in order to do business in that state.

Quote:
It is very tough to get through 4 years of college with high grades, 4 years of med school, 2+ years of training, passing board exams all along the way, then getting licensed if you are a simpleton. Sure nothing in this world is absolutely guaranteed, but our systems weed out almost all the stupid ones.

I have known more than 100 docs in my days and can hardly remember an idiot among them. Most docs get sued from time to time for one reason or another. Blatant malpractice from sheer stupidity is quite rare, and I am not sure that I have seen it in 40 years. Operating on the wrong knee might qualify. The OR staff labeled the wrong knee. So although the doc is primarily responsible, the screw up wasn't his simple stupidity.
While I agree with most of your comments, I have to disagree on this one. Yes, doctors are intelligent but some are lazy and don't keep up with their field. Mistakes are bound to happen. Many errors are never uncovered and many are difficult to prove. It makes me think of the guy I knew who was seeing a dermatologist for an irregular mole on his back. The dermatologist kept telling him not to worry and they would keep an eye on it. They kept watching until it was too late and the melanoma killed him.

Medical care would improve in this country if more routine autopsies were done.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I haven't had to deal with that and I have had a LOT of interaction with the health care system in the past two years.
One personal anecdote. But plenty of evidence from many others to the contrary.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
If your interested the following documentary I think does a good job of explaining the the problem with obesity among poor people.

About the Film | A Place At The Table | TakePart
You, too, are completely missing the problem. Take a look at EXACTLY what is different among these two groups ofpooradults:

Income-eligible adults who get food stamps: 44% obesity rate.
Income-eligible adults who do not get food stamps: 33% obesity rate.

Exhibit 5, here: http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...-SNAP07-10.pdf

No one EVER gives a valid explanation for why we're enabling a 33% increase in the obesity rate, and therefore the subsequent obesity-related health problems, among the poor adults who get food stamps.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
10's of thousands homes saved, many millions lost. Where do you see $2T to the middle class?
The mortgage loans that were never repaid by those tens of thousands, and now the property collateral cannot be collected, either. Who do you think makes the GSE-issued MBS buyers/investors whole on that? Taxpayers. That's who ultimately guarantees GSE-issued MBS.

GSE-issued MBS buyers/investors include financial institutions, banks, pension plans, retirement accounts, etc.

The investors were made whole with that $2 Trillion in QE (which was added to the national debt in the form of newly-issued Treasury securities), and tens of thousands of Americans got/are getting free homes.

For specifics on the Federal Reserve's holdings, see the following, including the corresponding change in the Federal Reserve's balance sheet:

The Federal Reserve's Agency (GSE) MBS in 2008: $0
FRB: H.4.1 Release--Factors Affecting Reserve Balances--December 4, 2008

The Federal Reserve's current Agency (GSE) MBS: Over $1.75 Trillion
https://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h41/current/

And taxpayers are paying interest on that $2 Trillion.

Quote:
Eyes are open
Clearly, not.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Having just read the OIG report you linked I would point out that the OIG claims there isn't enough information to draw the conclusion you made in your post which was "That enables the food stamp recipient adults to overeat.
How do you think food stamp recipient adults are becoming obese if they're not overeating?

Both groups of poor adults have fewer healthy food choices available to them, frequently due to logistics, etc., but only the group getting food stamps has the 33% higher obesity rate.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Medicare as an example of socialized HC has definitely pushed quality or equality. Even more so lately with new payments and bonuses specifically rewarding quality. Patients receive the care THEY need, not what everyone else might need.
Knowing many seniors, they don't feel that way about Medicare. Many doctors are now going the concierge route, and seniors can't even get an appointment unless they pay the practice's annual concierge fee. Only when they pay the fee, which isn't covered by Medicare, will they get medical care and treatment which is then billed to Medicare minus any co-pays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies