Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:12 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times

Advertisements

It's the latest feminist/SJW outrage - advising girls on how to look good at cheerleading tryouts.

Quote:
Blowback ensued, with critics arguing that the image objectified women while perpetuating sexist, Anglo-centric beauty ideals.
“Thanks UW for setting women back 100 years!” a Twitter user wrote.
“I can’t believe this is real,” Jazmine Perez, the director of programming for the university’s student government, told the Seattle Times by email. “One of the first things that comes mind is objectification and idealization of Western beauty, which are values I would like to believe the University doesn’t want to perpetuate. As a student of color who looks nothing like the student in the poster, this feels very exclusive.”
These people are a never ending source of comedy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ashes-outrage/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 07:19 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
It isn't about looking good at tryouts, it's sending a message that to look good, you have to look like the "all-American Girl Next Door".

Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
gee, someone suggesting how to look for cheerleader tryouts, and others getting butt hurt as a result.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:33 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It isn't about looking good at tryouts, it's sending a message that to look good, you have to look like the "all-American Girl Next Door".
And by "all-American girl next door" you mean she's pretty and white, right? I think, for the critics, it is mostly about being angry that they aren't hot enough to be cheerleaders. But that's kind of embarrassing, so they'll play up the race angle more.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:46 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I'm offended by the lack of white players on NBA teams.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
And by "all-American girl next door" you mean she's pretty and white, right? I think, for the critics, it is mostly about being angry that they aren't hot enough to be cheerleaders. But that's kind of embarrassing, so they'll play up the race angle more.
It's not just pretty and white. It's a very narrow definition of beauty, specifically, has to be a white blond, "Anglo-centric" woman, which presumes blue eyes. Now, most American women, even American white women, are not blond and blue eyed. I also have issue when they do this in Latin America when they promote the average Argentinian and Uruguayan as the ideal beauty standard when the rest of Latin America is far darker and more Asian/Mongoloid looking than Argentina and Uruguay which are about 90% ethnic European each

I forget which clothing brand it was either Aeropostale, American Eagle, or Hollister, one of them was under fire for doing the same exact thing. They deliberately hired staff who had typical Scandinavian features and promoted the brand as "all-American". Vast majority of Americans do not look Swedish, even Swedes don't all look bright blond with blue eyes. It's absurd promoting the ideal beauty standard to be, literally, the smallest amount of people in the world.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:11 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's not just pretty and white. It's a very narrow definition of beauty, specifically, has to be a white blond, "Anglo-centric" woman, which presumes blue eyes. Now, most American women, even American white women, are not blond and blue eyed. I also have issue when they do this in Latin America when they promote the average Argentinian and Uruguayan as the ideal beauty standard when the rest of Latin America is far darker and more Asian/Mongoloid looking than Argentina and Uruguay which are about 90% ethnic European each

I forget which clothing brand it was either Aeropostale, American Eagle, or Hollister, one of them was under fire for doing the same exact thing. They deliberately hired staff who had typical Scandinavian features and promoted the brand as "all-American". Vast majority of Americans do not look Swedish, even Swedes don't all look bright blond with blue eyes. It's absurd promoting the ideal beauty standard to be, literally, the smallest amount of people in the world.
No kidding. There's lots of ways to be beautiful, but you'd never know it by looking at cheerleader squads.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:22 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
I didn't realize that all the Asian girls on their team were "white".

If these hysterical SJWs want to see what it's really like to be "pushed back 100 years", maybe they can go live with the Amsih for a month or two.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:26 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I'm offended by the lack of white players on NBA teams.
Learn how to play the game and you won't be so offended; you know self-discipline, hard work etc.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:31 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Learn how to play the game and you won't be so offended; you know self-discipline, hard work etc.
Tell that to affirmative action supporters please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies